STrib: Gophers hope to hear from NCAA about Jeff Jones' eligibility next week 8/22/14

So I guess you and I just fundamentally disagree. I don't feel like there's an organization-wide conspiracy, and it seems like you do. I'm not saying that you're wrong, I just think it's pretty strange.

Conspiracy? No. However, couldn't agree with Husker more on how ridiculous this delay is. It should have been done by Aug. 1st - the start of camp. If they worked a little harder at their job and had deadlines like every other job this would be taken care of. The truth is that it isn't fair to the kids. He could be cleared today and was forced to miss an entire Fall camp.

So I guess you and I just fundamentally disagree. I don't feel like there's an organization-wide conspiracy, and it seems like you do. I'm not saying that you're wrong, I just think it's pretty strange.

I am not claiming any conspiracy. The NCCA is a joke. It has rules to cover icing on a cupcake. Rules to cover coaches wives. The Clearing House should do just that clear or deny scholarships. But it would seem it is another example of bureaucracy more taken by its overblown authority, rules, and forms with no sense of the effect of a delay can have. In a day and age where everyone in College Athletics is saying it all about the student athletes. They are more concerned with the paper work. They drag their feet on every claim. Again this is no conspiracy, it is incompetence, lack of focus, and knowing what the goal is.

This is no different than the delay and angst that comes with filing properly the paperwork for a medical hardship. Emphasis on filing the paperwork correctly, and completely. To them its the form, not the student athlete. This paperwork has stymied many student athletes, coaches, and staffs. They sometimes feel its not worth the hassle.

Whether it is an insurance claim, a bank loan, you can basically get it done in less time than it takes the NCAA Clearing House to simply say yes or no.

I have many years experience dealing with insurance underwriters so I'm used to the mind set. Any deviation from the standard guidelines is tough and requires documentation. I looked up the eligibility guidelines for non traditional classes, they specifically state that, online and credit make up class are subject to review. A couple of requests for additional information can easily add weeks to the process. The good thing is that, we haven't heard that a wavier request has been filed, that means being declared fully eligible is still on the table.

When the cost of delay does not affect an organization that organization tends to move slowly. I am aware of credentialing committees that meet once per month and if a candidate's qualifications are not complete or in line they get to be reviewed again the following month. These are life-changing, expensive decisions for these candidate yet there is a crushing lack of urgency because there is no cost involved for the gatekeepers. Human nature. I suspect that the NCAA has similar review committees and there are a limited number of people with actual decision-making ability and it could be as simple as somebody is on vacation and the file hasn't left that person's desk.

The 50+ staff members also seem to have developed a siege mentality a la your local DMV. These people are likely harassed on a daily basis and it is human nature to give the slow play to those individuals Look at all the ***holes on this board. Can you imagine them staffing a clearinghouse and dealing with angry parents, administrators, coaches? I can imagine scenarios where they feel like this person delayed their certification process and an emergency on their part is not an emergency on my part so I guess I'll get around to it next week.

It's also possible and was implied by coach Kill in an interview that Jeff still had to submit some paperwork, so maybe he's the problem. It's frustrating to me as this fiasco could have been avoided by simply doing slightly better on his ACT or a course here or there. I'm 50% frustrated with Jeff and 50% with the clearinghouse.

What's most likely is he's been denied and they are in the process of exhausting the appeals process.

Oh, please not an appeal. That requires an additional form or forms need to be prepared in triplicate. And must be notarized. With proof of your identity. Birth Certificate, Driver's License, and SSN. You must print your name and address, and sign the form. Initialing any copies and dating them. Make sure you indicate the school and year of enrollment. Shall I continue? You can make this as hard as you want, as anal as it can be, but it simply is a question does he qualify or doesn't he. The idea of a committee only adds more credence to the bureaucracy. And then probably signatures from at least three members who have investigated the claim, and then signatures from witnesses. And of course it must be notarized. Once complete it must be sent by registered mail to the student. If he failed to provide a valid address..................

What's most likely is he's been denied and they are in the process of exhausting the appeals process.

Not sure how you reach that conclusion - your three paragraphs preceding this certainly didn't support it.

Why do people assume the worst Jones' classes ended 10 Jul. A week to get the paperwork together, two weeks for the initial review, a week to gather additional information, two more weeks of review, add a few days here and there for snail mail and your into next week.

I'm giving the clearinghouse the benefit of the doubt (and Jeff). It's certainly possible the process is inching along Don't get your panties in a wad.

Unless the NCAA (or Washburn) is living in the age of dinosaurs documents are sent by PDF format via email. No snail mail and it's so easy even a caveman can do it. There is no logical reason for a review to take 6-7 weeks unless one or both sides are dragging their feet for any number of reasons.

Not sure how you reach that conclusion - your three paragraphs preceding this certainly didn't support it.

I agree. It was totally inadequate. We wouldn't have had that problem if wren had written it. It certainly would have been longer than three paragraphs and it very likely would have been posted in triplicate.

I agree. It was totally inadequate. We wouldn't have had that problem if wren had written it. It certainly would have been longer than three paragraphs and it very likely would have been posted in triplicate.

Well played. LOL.

Unless the NCAA (or Washburn) is living in the age of dinosaurs documents are sent by PDF format via email. No snail mail and it's so easy even a caveman can do it. There is no logical reason for a review to take 6-7 weeks unless one or both sides are dragging their feet for any number of reasons.
Your assuming that they accept electronic signature which I wouldn't assume when dealing with the NCAA particularly when the application is non standard. Perhaps I should have changed it to miscellaneous delays four days of such delays brings my time line to Monday.

I'm seriously asking this. Do you know:

1) What a fullback is?
2) What a fullback's role is in the modern offense?

You would know then that "no" is the definitive answer. He is too small and too fast and too talented.

I believe Willis Mcgahee started in the National Championship Game as a RS Freshman. I think it was out of injury need, but not unheard of to use a RB as a FB.

Let's see 1 days mail if overnight and an additional day to get through the mail room x 2 packets equals 4 days. I've dealt with bureaucracies my entire adult life, it's always the same, no amount of crises on your part will create urgency on their part.

The vagaries of paper correspondence. I have to agree with Dr. Don (for once) that we have hit rock bottom on things to argue about.

Sent in PDF come on. They have a mail room. And it must be sent by mail. No email, no text, no tweet, no fax, no phone calls. Once it arrives in the mail room it can take up to three days for proper logging of the documents, and proper routing forms being filled out for delivery to the initial investigator. If the mail arrives on Friday it will not be sorted till the following Monday. The initial investigator has 10 working days for his or her preliminary finding. This Preliminary Finding Report form must be filled out in triplicate. One copy is attached to the paperwork. One copy is retained by the investigator, and one copy is sent to Mark Emmert. The paper work is then forwarded to a senior investigator who has 10 working days for a secondary finding. Again triplicate form one copy to the primary committee chair, one retained, and one to Mark. The committee has 10 working days to act on the findings. If a quorum can not be assembled with the 10 working days, the chair may extend the period by an additional 15 working days. When the committee meets the findings are presented by the investigators. If the findings or both investigators are to clear the student, the chair must call for a vote. Any member may ask to examine the findings before voting. If there is a request by a member the vote is suspended and the member or member have 10 days to review the findings. When the member notify the chair they have reviewed the materials and are ready to vote. The chair will assemble the committee. Failing to reach a quorum up to 10 days are allotted for the members to assemble. The committee vote is taken. And the verdict is given to be typed. That document is allowed five days to be returned to the Chairman for signature. Once signed a copy is retain in the file, a copy is sent to Mark Emmert, a copy is sent to School, and one to the student. When you look inside a bureaucracy it all about forms, committees, protocol, and proper routing.

I'm sorry I fell asleep while reading that. Can we start over?

I think I counted 24 sentences in that single paragraph. I find it fascinating there can be that much to say about NCAA paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you found it boring and tedious, that is the NCAA.

Sent in PDF come on. They have a mail room. And it must be sent by mail. No email, no text, no tweet, no fax, no phone calls. Once it arrives in the mail room it can take up to three days for proper logging of the documents, and proper routing forms being filled out for delivery to the initial investigator. If the mail arrives on Friday it will not be sorted till the following Monday. The initial investigator has 10 working days for his or her preliminary finding. This Preliminary Finding Report form must be filled out in triplicate. One copy is attached to the paperwork. One copy is retained by the investigator, and one copy is sent to Mark Emmert. The paper work is then forwarded to a senior investigator who has 10 working days for a secondary finding. Again triplicate form one copy to the primary committee chair, one retained, and one to Mark. The committee has 10 working days to act on the findings. If a quorum can not be assembled with the 10 working days, the chair may extend the period by an additional 15 working days. When the committee meets the findings are presented by the investigators. If the findings or both investigators are to clear the student, the chair must call for a vote. Any member may ask to examine the findings before voting. If there is a request by a member the vote is suspended and the member or member have 10 days to review the findings. When the member notify the chair they have reviewed the materials and are ready to vote. The chair will assemble the committee. Failing to reach a quorum up to 10 days are allotted for the members to assemble. The committee vote is taken. And the verdict is given to be typed. That document is allowed five days to be returned to the Chairman for signature. Once signed a copy is retain in the file, a copy is sent to Mark Emmert, a copy is sent to School, and one to the student. When you look inside a bureaucracy it all about forms, committees, protocol, and proper routing.

The Gophers are not tOSU. I bet they'll will have a higher sense of urgency for them.

For goodness sake, it is not like the Japanese Emissary delivering the letter to FDR from the Japanese Government to break off negotiations hours late after the Pearl Harbor attack because they had to decript the message from Tokyo first, and then type the message with two fingers! We have Fedex.

This is from the NCAA's site.
After all documentation (final transcripts, test scores) has been received, the NCAA Eligibility Center staff needs about 10 business days to initiate a review of your account. Keep in mind that this is a very busy time of year and you can check your account status online for updates by checking the "My Planner" section. Remember that if you have open tasks, your file may not move forward for evaluation.

The FAQ pop up, that I can't copy, states that that online and credit make up classes are subject to review. You can bet that also takes two weeks, when JJ's classes ended on July 10th, it's not too hard to figure whats taking so long.

Coach stated at Big Ten media days they might have an answer by Aug 1st or Aug 10, prior to the new expected news date. I'm reading into it but it seems there has been a snag or two develop but this is all "speculation". The clearinghouse does have an expedited process for urgent cases. Their website as of July 7 of this year stated they had a backlog of approximately 5-6 business days.

The site also implied that recruits should utilized overnight mailing of documents implying fax or electronic not allowable, which is interesting as it is commonly known NLIs can be sent via fax, electronically, or by horseback. Of course, this is the NCAA and the cogs of modernization and bylaws change slowly.

I believe that with NLI's the faxed copy needs to be followed up with a hard copy with original signature. The fax just allows schools to talk about the recruit.

What's the only thing more irritating than reading posts you have no interest in, whether it's hand times, qualification process, mail vs fax?

Answer: complaints about posts you have no interest in. This is worse than adding nothing to the discussion. There are serial offenders.

We had a thread about ****ing professional soccer on this board for *****'s sake!

I share your thoughts but apparently this is what message boards are for.

I feel your referencing the other thread....

Let me clarify, wtf... conversations about how long it takes to process paper work

not wtf this has nothing to do with the topic.

I believe that with NLI's the faxed copy needs to be followed up with a hard copy with original signature. The fax just allows schools to talk about the recruit.

This is not true.

Top Bottom