STrib: Gophers hope to hear from NCAA about Jeff Jones' eligibility next week 8/22/14

Jon

Reaction score
"Quick update on Jeff Jones, the prized running back recruit from Minneapolis Washburn: I was told today that the Gophers hope to hear from the NCAA regarding his eligibility at the end of next week. Jones has been admitted to the U, but the NCAA is currently reviewing his case to determine if he's eligible for his scholarship."
Joe Christensen
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/272315221.html

It is really amazing how long this process takes with the NCAA. It sucks for the team and the kid to be stuck in limbo while the process plays out. I don't pretend to understand what all goes on behind the scenes with but it seems crazy that it would take this long since they have had all the info for quite a while.

Given the amount of time he has missed and the depth at RB a redshirt would seem to be lock as Joe C. mentioned.

It sounds like he has already been denied immediate eligibility and is waiting to hear on if he can becom a partial qualifyer. "Reviewing his case to determine if he's eligible for his scholarship."

It sounds like he has already been denied immediate eligibility and is waiting to hear on if he can becom a partial qualifyer. "Reviewing his case to determine if he's eligible for his scholarship."
Your dead wrong, the NCAA has said that, 'credit make up classes a subject to review'. JJ's online classes likely count as credit makeup classes.

I'm leaning toward this line of thinking as well. As incompetent as the NCAA is, I think that even they would rule if he was eligible to play this year before the first game of the year.

How long is reasonable for the NCAA Clearing house to act? Cue the crickets. What does it take for student to be accepted by the U? How long does that take? This stalling by the Clearing House should stop.

Hinjosa was cleared about a week before the first game. There does seem to be a pattern, if a applicant is non standard in any way, the Clearinghouse drags their feet.

Couple questions. I haven't been following JJ as of late. 1) Do you think they will redshirt him if he is eligible this year? 2) I heard somewhere JJ might end up as the Fullback if he does play in 2014. Any truth to that?

Couple questions. I haven't been following JJ as of late. 1) Do you think they will redshirt him if he is eligible this year? 2) I heard somewhere JJ might end up as the Fullback if he does play in 2014. Any truth to that?

West... no one knows a damned thing, but will pretend they do. Hence all of the speculation.

1. Yes
2. No

I heard that he was already planning the long wait for the clearinghouse and taken an online course about how to write a doctoral thesis. It could be a very long week.

Any bets he graduates before they rule on his eligibility?

West... no one knows a damned thing, but will pretend they do. Hence all of the speculation.

Don, you literally provide zero substance to any thread you post on...but thanks for being a Gopher fan.

How long is reasonable for the NCAA Clearing house to act? Cue the crickets. What does it take for student to be accepted by the U? How long does that take? This stalling by the Clearing House should stop.

I'm confused. Do you think that the NCAA is intentionally stalling for some reason?

Wouldn't it make more sense that the NCAA has a lot of these cases to decide on, and they're taking the time to make sure that they're not making any mistakes?

I understand that it's easier to assume some sort of malice, but doesn't a heavy workload and an attempt at being thorough make a whole lot more sense?

Don, you literally provide zero substance to any thread you post on...but thanks for being a Gopher fan.

Me? OK! I guess I can't find anything in the Bible to support me.

Hmm, how many cases are on their desks 5 days before the season starts? How many staff to applicants? This is suppose to be a clearing house. Clearing student eligibility. How much time do you think it takes to make sure they are not making any mistakes? If the rules for eligibility are that complex, then blow the darn thing up.

I accept you forgiveness, UU. Tiny? Now that is a different sort of forgiveness. Tiny will only forgive me if I do things his way.

It wasn't for you, Don. Tiny needs to be forgiven. Show him the true Christian way and forgive him rather than engaging him.

Is this **** really invading the football board now too?

I'm seriously asking this. Do you know:

1) What a fullback is?
2) What a fullback's role is in the modern offense?

You would know then that "no" is the definitive answer. He is too small and too fast and too talented.

Hmm, how many cases are on their desks 5 days before the season starts? How many staff to applicants? This is suppose to be a clearing house. Clearing student eligibility. How much time do you think it takes to make sure they are not making any mistakes? If the rules for eligibility are that complex, then blow the darn thing up.

So I guess you and I just fundamentally disagree. I don't feel like there's an organization-wide conspiracy, and it seems like you do. I'm not saying that you're wrong, I just think it's pretty strange.

Here's to hoping Mr. Jones is given the go-ahead to practice. With all the running backs we have, it would be nice to have him redshirt and really get used to college academics. Since he struggled so much in high school it will be even more difficult for him in college. Having a year to develop the discipline and skills for researching and writing papers will be extremely helpful to him for his life. No matter how great of an athlete he is, there will be a day when football is gone and he will need to use the academic skills he learned at the U of MN. That will ultimately determine the greatness of our athletics program.

1) What a fullback is?

You would know then that "no" is the definitive answer. He is too small and too fast and too talented.

He is probably just confusing this JJ to the other JJ that we got a commit from at RB today. Actually makes a lot of sense. Anyways the GI guys apparently do not believe Johanneson has the frame to become a fullback.

He is probably just confusing this JJ to the other JJ that we got a commit from at RB today. Actually makes a lot of sense. Anyways the GI guys apparently do not believe Johanneson has the frame to become a fullback.

Actually it still doesn't make sense because the commit we got today is a 2015 recruit and he specifically mentions 2014 in his question. Just a strange question.

1) What a fullback is?

Both are fair questions. I agree with you and I would not put him at fullback either but there was a rumor he put on weight. Actually, the same rumor was discussed in the "All Things Jeffery Jones Thread" on 06/29. If you don't believe me check yourself. I do know what a fullback is and the role as I've watched football my whole life and been a Gopher fan since Jim Wacker was the coach. Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Here's to hoping Mr. Jones is given the go-ahead to practice. With all the running backs we have, it would be nice to have him redshirt and really get used to college academics. Since he struggled so much in high school it will be even more difficult for him in college. Having a year to develop the discipline and skills for researching and writing papers will be extremely helpful to him for his life. No matter how great of an athlete he is, there will be a day when football is gone and he will need to use the academic skills he learned at the U of MN. That will ultimately determine the greatness of our athletics program.

Oh.

He came to the right program. It's all about hard work and academics first, athletics second with Coach Kill.

Good luck to you Mr. Jeff Jones. Victory will be very sweet indeed knowing that you put in all the hard work. Never give up! We are rooting for you!

Top Bottom