James Johannesson Commits to Gophers!!

I'm so glad this thread has turned into a bunch of jackasses trying to outflame each other. Just what it was missing.

Life must be pretty good to complain about having to scroll past a whole 6 posts on a message board that you deem off topic. And then proceed to call multiple people jackasses because we made you do it.

It was 6 posts, you'll live. Try relaxing a little, and try not calling people jackasses.

I compared him to Mike Alstot for two reasons.

Get back on track...please!!!

Alstot used to shred the Gophers defense regularly while he was a Boilermaker and I remember those games vividly because
I was at two of them at the Dome (shoot outs score wise but the Gophers could not tackle Alstot) and Johanneson reminds me of Alstot
or even a Mike Tolbert of the Panthers in the pros.

Johannesson's High School teams website claims the dude can Squat lift 592 pounds. IF he really can do that, than the guy
is a bull moose and capable of pulling a car like Mike A. They the Gopher coaches will teach him the correct lean to run with, so I'm not worried about him being a running back,
they don't have to teach this kid strength or speed, this guy already has those attributes in spades.

Life must be pretty good to complain about having to scroll past a whole 6 posts on a message board that you deem off topic. And then proceed to call multiple people jackasses because we made you do it.

It was 6 posts, you'll live. Try relaxing a little, and try not calling people jackasses.

Are you complaining about my one post in which I complained about six posts? Hmmm...

The best running back from Fargo played for Fargo Central, and was a junior on the 1961 team. A unassuming man, he went on to work for Mrs. Clarks Foods in Iowa. Dave Mulholland left this world too early, but certainly a Great Golden Gopher.

Some people may argue Roger Maris was a better back. Bud Wilkinson thought enough of him to offer a scholarship.

I hope it isn't true because I'm jazzed about getting Johannesson to the U, but...

Some people who claim to be close to Johannesson are spreading the rumor that our coaches want to move him to linebacker, and he doesn't want to be an LB, so he's close to reneging on his commitment.

I hope it isn't true because I'm jazzed about getting Johannesson to the U, but...

Some people who claim to be close to Johannesson are spreading the rumor that our coaches want to move him to linebacker, and he doesn't want to be an LB, so he's close to reneging on his commitment.

That would be a bummer. He'd probably go to NDSU and have a fantastic career.

Why not bring him in and let him compete for RB? We don't have a clear #1 next year and Jeff Jones could be the favorite, but he hasn't played a snap either.

I hope it isn't true because I'm jazzed about getting Johannesson to the U, but... Some people who claim to be close to Johannesson are spreading the rumor that our coaches want to move him to linebacker, and he doesn't want to be an LB, so he's close to reneging on his commitment.

Source or linky?

Word of mouth - whispered. I used to live in Fargo and still work in the area.

No, I'm not going to tell you who's whispering, just people who claim to know. "Word on the street," you know?

Why not bring him in and let him compete for RB? We don't have a clear #1 next year and Jeff Jones could be the favorite, but he hasn't played a snap either.

This. It's odd. We did it with with guys like D Jones, but seem unwilling for guys like Carlberg and Johannesson. Obviously I'm trusting the coaches but to me it would make sense to let them see how they do at their preferred position and once they see the talent around them or that they're buried on the depth chart get em to change.

This. It's odd. We did it with with guys like D Jones, but seem unwilling for guys like Carlberg and Johannesson. Obviously I'm trusting the coaches but to me it would make sense to let them see how they do at their preferred position and once they see the talent around them or that they're buried on the depth chart get em to change.

That's easier said than done. Most kids transfer under this scenario.

I think the Jones situation was different. He was well aware going into college WR would probably be his best position. He was open to the switch if QB didn't work out. Johannesson sounds dead set on playing RB.

If it's rumors; what are the chances NDSU is the source? One thing about the coaches here, they're straight shooters, Johannesson would have known about any potential position switch before committing.

If true - at least our coaches are being upfront with the kid. That is all we should ask for.

When the kid committed I figured he was a future LB. Every D1 school that recruited him wanted him at LB and he was willing to go D2 to play RB. I've thought for a while that at least 1 if not 2 of our incoming RBs were going to end up somewhere else (really between him and Femi-Cole) and maybe he saw the writing on the wall.

And just an FYI - he's been tweeting gopher-related items as recently as two days ago. Other than the hearsay posted earlier, there doesn't appear to be anything anywhere - not on GI either - insinuating he's going anywhere other than UMN.

Let's face it: we don't need 3 running backs in this class. If Jeff Jones qualifies, we might not even need 2. One of them will be switching positions.

However, the only was we lose Johannesson is if we want to lose him...

First thing I thought of when he committed was he's moving to LB. I think he'd be a
helluva OLB and I think he should seize that opportunity. If this kid is going to have
a prolonged future in football, it's at LB.

I live in NoDak, watched the high school championship game (which didn't include James). After the game, they announced the award equivalent of male athlete of the year, which was James. James was fully decked out in Gopher gear. While in North Dakota, you don't dress that way unless you are fully with the team. Granted this was a little over a month ago.

I live in NoDak, watched the high school championship game (which didn't include James). After the game, they announced the award equivalent of male athlete of the year, which was James. James was fully decked out in Gopher gear. While in North Dakota, you don't dress that way unless you are fully with the team. Granted this was a little over a month ago.

Lol. I'll never understand why they feel this way. I got the same lecture from a friend when I wore a Gopher sweatshirt on campus. They truly believe we are rivals.

When the kid committed I figured he was a future LB. Every D1 school that recruited him wanted him at LB and he was willing to go D2 to play RB. I've thought for a while that at least 1 if not 2 of our incoming RBs were going to end up somewhere else (really between him and Femi-Cole) and maybe he saw the writing on the wall.

Femi-Cole has RB written all over him. Too big and slow to play in the secondary but unlike Johanessen, he doesn't have the length that Clayes covets to play LB. Brooks at least has the speed to play in the secondary not that he necessarily will. Anyways I do think the longterm plan with Johanesson is LB but we will definitely give him a year at RB.

Top Bottom