Problem with Safari

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
At home I use a MacBook Air. Since Saturday or Sunday, the message boards have been freezing after clicking on a topic. This happens every single time I visit GH.

At work, running Windows, all is fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the heads up on this. We will send a ticket to our IT group to look into this.

What browser are you using, and have you cleared all cache/temp files?

I'm getting the same problem with anything running Safari.

I too started having problems viewing Gopherhole with the Safari browser. This all started ~August 20. Thought it was something I'd done to my computer and tried clearing cache/temp files to no effect. However, no problem when using the Chrome browser.

I'm no computer programer, but the fact others started having similar problems at the same time suggests change(s) to the site is the culprit. Hope you're able to diagnose and fix the problem.

Thanks
MnGoph79

Spackler and Mngoph79, are you both on Mac systems, as well?

Interesting... I just fired up Safari on my PC and came across the same thing, however, I don't have any issues with Firefox on here.

I'm wondering if it's related to an update that Safari rolled out on Mac systems (They released an update on August 13th).

I can say that it shouldn't be the site's forums itself, since I haven't done any forum updates since early summer (I'd have to check my notes to see exactly when).

We're also looking into anything else that has potentially changed within the past 10 days. It could be related to a Flash issue (I know Adobe came out with an update earlier this week).

Spackler and Mngoph79, are you both on Mac systems, as well?

Interesting... I just fired up Safari on my PC and came across the same thing, however, I don't have any issues with Firefox on here.

I'm wondering if it's related to an update that Safari rolled out on Mac systems (They released an update on August 13th).

I can say that it shouldn't be the site's forums itself, since I haven't done any forum updates since early summer (I'd have to check my notes to see exactly when).

We're also looking into anything else that has potentially changed within the past 10 days. It could be related to a Flash issue (I know Adobe came out with an update earlier this week).

Yes -- I'm on a MacBook Pro (Late 2013) running Apples Mavericks OS. Concerning an August 13 Safari update, I had no problems until ~August 20 which would suggest this isn't the culprit. As of this morning, the Gopherhole web site does not work when using Safari (note: I'm posting this using Google Chrome).

I'm using a Mac, an ipad and an iPhone. Same problem on all of them. I would agree that the problem started around the 20th.

What's interesting, and I don't know if it helps, is that I get the same problem running the chrome app on the ipad. This might suggest an os problem, but I haven't upgraded all three os's recently.

Thanks for checking into it.

Guys, go ahead and check again, please. I'm posting this on Firefox (will post from Safari in a sec) and will report my results in a sec.

Still a bit slow, but it's a LOT faster than it has been (Posted via Safari)

Posting still seems a little slow via Safari, as is the final loading of the page, but it is a lot faster than before. Same with Firefox. Plus, no flash crashes. :D

Posting still seems a little slow via Safari, as is the final loading of the page, but it is a lot faster than before. Same with Firefox. Plus, no flash crashes. :D

Everything is working as before. Whatever you did worked. Great job BearlyDoug!

Everything seems to be working well. Don't know what you did, but evidently it fixed the problem. Thanks!

Guys, go ahead and check again, please. I'm posting this on Firefox (will post from Safari in a sec) and will report my results in a sec.

Didn't seem to work for me. Still freezes every time i load a topic on the bulletin board

That said, i have now downloaded Chrome so at least I have a work-around.

Everything seems to be working well. Don't know what you did, but evidently it fixed the problem. Thanks!

What was fixed is now no longer working. Gopherhole is again locking up when using Safari. Thought you folks would want to know. Thanks, MnGoph79

What was fixed is now no longer working. Gopherhole is again locking up when using Safari. Thought you folks would want to know. Thanks, MnGoph79

Yep, can load gopherhole, but as soon as I go to a message board it locks up. Maybe one of the flash player ads on those pages?

I can't take the credit/blame for the fixes. All I did (on behalf of the hosting company) is help identify where the issue was previously.

I've tested this out on Safari, Chrome and Firefox. I believe I have just identified what this issue is (Still related to the Ads, but a different cause this time).

I've fired off an update to the people responsible for this in hopes that they'll get this issue fixed.

I had the same problem with Safari recently until I turned on Extensions. Now I can access Gopherhole just fine. I'm not sure which Extensions might be helping but I have AdBlock, ClickToFlash and JavaScript Blocker plus others. I don't normally turn them on because they can cause problems but they are letting me access Gopherhole without any issues.

Good news - we think we have the issue fixed but will continue to monitor it. Please let us know ASAP if you have any issues, as this is top priority for us.

Good news - we think we have the issue fixed but will continue to monitor it. Please let us know ASAP if you have any issues, as this is top priority for us.

Gopherhole on Safari is again working. Thanks again for the quick response / fix.

MnGoph79

Top Bottom