Predict the Gophers' first offensive play of 2014.

Predict the first offensive play of 2014.

• Pound the rock. Here we come.

Votes: 54 73.0%
  • Play action pass.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Drop back pass.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Jet sweep, misdirection, screen, etc.

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

Everyone expects the Gophs to open up with a basic running play - so cross them up - run a flea flicker, or maybe hand off to D. Jones on the jet sweep, and he pulls up and throws a pass to Leidner. Have some fun.

No way in hell it is a simple drop back pass. If it were a better opponent i could see a play action pass or something like a flea flicker like the IU game but we will keep it vanilla for EIU. Straight up the middle.

Everyone expects the Gophs to open up with a basic running play - so cross them up - run a flea flicker, or maybe hand off to D. Jones on the jet sweep, and he pulls up and throws a pass to Leidner. Have some fun.

I wouldn’t mind that against TCU but we don’t need to give away our playbook for EIU plus we shouldn’t need to trick them to beat them.

play action pass to Maxx running wide open down the middle. Unfortunately a safety will catch him and push him out of bounds at the 7 yard line....

Zone read - Cobb takes the hand-off and runs for 8 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by beavergopher

Quick kick?

So do I. We have a winner!

#RUTM

For those that don't know it's, Run Up The Middle.

When I saw the thread title, I assumed our choices would be "between the tackles and left of center" or "between the tackles and right of center".

Read option. Leidner keeps it and goes left for a ~five yard gain.

Leidner under center Hartman and Cobb in the I. The call, 44 Pro Right Iso. Cobb for 7.

Quick kick?

If Murray Warmath were still out coach this would be a realistic choice. My dad still bitches about him punting on 3rd down and choosing to kick when winning the toss at the start of a game (before there was the deferring to the 2nd half option, meaning we kicked off the start both halves).

Knowing Limey it'll be a 2 TE set with a shift, then motion, then a simple inside zone run to Cobb

Haha. Well, I didn't know if he meant 6, as in a TD. We'll have to get Doc's clarification on that.

Oh well. Humor is lost on me sometimes. :cool:

If I would have meant 6 yards, I would have said 6 yards.

Holy schidthole people.

I think the boys will be fired up, I say hand off to Cobb for a 12 yard gain, my hunch is run left

The conservative Limey will run the zone read with Cobb. What would be neat is run a seam route with the 6 ft. 10" Wozniak. The EIU players would be hanging on him like Christmas tree ornaments.

nothing but the pound the rock. everything else will work much better after success running the ball. if this was the third game then yes something like a play action might work after film has been compiled with how we run the ball.

but i would like to see many more passing attempts in the first two games than we did see last year.

To see more passing attempts, one would think that we need an improved receiving corps. The reality is that we still don't have much at the position. We will be a running team with stout defense, which is still a winnable strategy in the modern Big Ten. Teams will dare us to beat them with the pass so Leidner needs to be efficient and get as much as he can out of his tight ends and WRs where possible.

To see more passing attempts, one would think that we need an improved receiving corps. The reality is that we still don't have much at the position. We will be a running team with stout defense, which is still a winnable strategy in the modern Big Ten. Teams will dare us to beat them with the pass so Leidner needs to be efficient and get as much as he can out of his tight ends and WRs where possible.

It is very difficult to judge the quality of the receiving corp when our QBs haven't been able to accurately throw the ball to spots the receivers can get it. I'm hoping Leidner has done enough to correct this. Then we will see what we have at the receiver position.

Top Bottom