Is Crean getting desperate?

Poor kid will probably get "Creaned" next year anyway and be "guided" to another program.

Crean is getting desperate because he got a commit from a 3 star forward? I don't follow. A thread dedicated to Indiana picking up a 3 star recruit? Odd.

Crean is getting desperate because he got a commit from a 3 star forward? I don't follow. A thread dedicated to Indiana picking up a 3 star recruit? Odd.

I think the desperate comment was alluding to the fact that the commitment came from someone who originally planned to be in the Class of 2015, but Crean convinced him to commit for 2014, which is right around the corner.

From the article: "Holt is a three-star recruit, according to Rivals, and was originally a member of the Class of 2015 planning on doing a post-grad season Vermont Academy. He was being recruited mostly by mid-majors, holding offers from the likes of Towson, Vermont and Drexel."

Put me in the group that appreciates hearing news about other conference foes. This is newsworthy from the standpoint that it appears Crean has reached (by Indiana's standards) for two, possibly three recruits. I think one of the more interesting subplots this year will be whether or not Crean and/or Painter survive to see 2015. So I appreciate the post.

We can only break down who will be playing the 3 vs the 4 so many times.

Yes, the reclassifying to 2014 and the fact the kid's offers were from two CAA schools (Drexel, Towson) & an America East (Vermont) is what grabbed my attention. By IU's historical standards, that seems to be reaching for the low-hanging fruit.

I know that if I were looking at it from the perspective of an Indiana basketball fan, particularly with the level of success they've become accustomed to, scrambling to reclassify a player a few months before the season because your frontcourt is so shallow would be troublesome to me. I was shocked when I looked it up just now, but Crean is already entering his 7th season at the school. These are the types of things that should get ironed out during a transitional phase - not 7 years in. We all know the situation he inherited coming in, and he did well to get to the 2nd weekend in both his 4th and 5th years. The 6th season was a major step back (not surprisingly, given who they lost), and he needs to get to the tournament this year to save his job, in my opinion.

I was shocked when I looked it up just now, but Crean is already entering his 7th season at the school.

Before reading this, if I had to guess, I would have said that this is Crean's 4th, maybe 5th year at Indiana. I can't believe its #7 already. I can't imagine his body of work at Indiana is what they expected it would be to this point.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe not SS intention, but I took some of the comments on the thread the same way as you.

Things are going in line with what I expected for I4. Crazy, but most of the general public still doesn't understand his contract situation and the way they were misled by the admin. Rough situation if people begin to care about it.

With all that said, they've got some tremendous talent on the roster. Could be a very good team in the conference this season. Could also fall apart. But, there are several guys on the team that are good enough to push them to being a very strong bball team.

I'm surprised this article doesn't even mention the name of the "other Reach" discussed in the article.

A transfer from Illinois State University Nick Ziesloft. Averaged like 6 points a game.
Eligible immediatley, 2 years of eligibility.

He is a good shooter and the IU hopes he will bring some leadership qualities.
He definitley seems like a reach, but if he can hit the 3 he should be ok.

thats 2 kids from ISU to transfer to the Big10 this season, another from ISU to Illinois last season.

I think its 5 from the MVC to the Big10 the last 2 seasons including King and Rice.

Things are going in line with what I expected for I4. Crazy, but most of the general public still doesn't understand his contract situation and the way they were misled by the admin. Rough situation if people begin to care about it.

With all that said, they've got some tremendous talent on the roster. Could be a very good team in the conference this season. Could also fall apart. But, there are several guys on the team that are good enough to push them to being a very strong bball team.

Can you explain the contract situation?

What do you mean about his contract situation?

Crean's not a bad coach, and while he gets (rightfully) criticized for "Creaning" guys, at least there's no indication his program cheats to get recruits like some others do. His and IU's problem is that the Big Ten right now might be as good or better than its ever been, in terms of the quality of coaches and outlook for so many of the programs. And when they play each other, somebody has to lose. The fan bases like IU who are used to winning don't like it when it's them.

I think he's on the hot seat regardless of what his contract is. Contracts and buyouts can be renegotiated. If they miss the tourney this year, which I think is likely, I'd put his chances of being fired at 50/50 (decidedly more than 2% LOL). At best, he'd be entering 2015-16 in a do or die situation.

That job is a tough gig. It's still really not that long after he coached them to a conference championship and, at one point during that season, a #1 national ranking, and he's already on the hot seat. Not getting past the Sweet Sixteen in 2013 was very disappointing to their fans, and it's been downhill ever since. But people knew last year would be a down year after they lost, what was it, two lottery picks?

That job is a tough gig. It's still really not that long after he coached them to a conference championship and, at one point during that season, a #1 national ranking, and he's already on the hot seat. Not getting past the Sweet Sixteen in 2013 was very disappointing to their fans, and it's been downhill ever since. But people knew last year would be a down year after they lost, what was it, two lottery picks?

The days of IU greatness are long gone. Recruiting kids to go play at IU is likely not as easy as we all would assume. Storied program for sure, but they are just stories at this point. You'd have an easier time telling a 18 year old about Butler's recent track record than IU's storied past.

Top Bottom