Q&A: Matthew Hurt Already Receiving Recruiting Interest from Minnesota & Northwestern

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Matthew Hurt Already Receiving Recruiting Interest from Minnesota & Northwestern

Matthew Hurt Already Receiving Recruiting Interest from Minnesota and Northwestern
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/410888?referrer_id=388419

Matthew Hurt, a 6-foot-6 rising eighth grade forward from Rochester (MN) John Marshall, is considered Minnesota's top players in the Class of 2019. He and older brother Michael will visit Minnesota Monday and a scholarship offer could be coming for old brother Michael.

Matthew Hurt averaged 18 points and eight rebounds per game as a seventh grader on the Rockets' "B" last season as he shot 60% from the field and 49% from three-point range. His strong play earned him a call-up to the varsity.

John Marshall finished 20-9 last season, losing to eventual state champion Lakeville North 96-61 in the Section 1AAAA championship game.

Hurt comes from a basketball family. His older brother is one of the top juniors in the state and averaged 16.1 points and nine rebounds per game as a sophomore. His father, Richard, was a captain of the Rockets' 1988-89 team and his mother, Jenny, was a star for John Marshall, who graduated in 1990.

Hurt shined in the Twin Cities Classic last Sunday, scoring 19 points to lead Team Hope to an 87-78 win over Team Inspiration as he was named MVP of the first game. Gopher Hole caught up with Hurt after the game to learn the latest on his early recruitment and upcoming season.

Gopher Hole: You played very well today. What were you trying to show in an event like this?

Matthew Hurt: I am just trying to show what I have. (Playing against) older people doesn't really matter to me and I just try to show my talent.

Gopher Hole: How pleased were you with how well things went for you this summer playing for the D1 Minnesota 14's, individually and team-wise?

Matthew Hurt: I was really pleased, but I wished that I had played with D1 (16's), but I probably will next year. Playing high school tournaments didn't really help me. I want to play against better competition.

Gopher Hole: I know that you played a lot of team camps for Rochester John Marshall. You lost big man Ngor Barnaba (who was second on the team in scoring and rebounding) and your next four leading scorers. What are the expectations for the Rockets this season?

Matthew Hurt: I think that we will be an okay team. I think that we will surprise a lot of people with our talent, because we have a lot of talent around me and my brother. I hope that we can get to the section finals against Lakeville North for state.

Gopher Hole: I know that you played at the University of Minnesota team camp. What was that experience like?

Matthew Hurt: It was fun playing in front of Coach Pitino and Ben Johnson and them. It was really outstanding

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to talk to the coaches much at all?

Matthew Hurt: Yes, I did, just before one of our games Saturday night.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is so early being only a 2019 kid, but are you starting to hear from some schools and get some letter from some schools?

Matthew Hurt: Minnesota, Northwestern. Some of those schools.

Gopher Hole: How do you think that helps you as a player playing with and against your brother?

Matthew Hurt: It really helps me. He is a really good player, too and I am just trying to compete with him.

Gopher Hole: Are there part of your games that are comparable and are there some parts of his game that he does better than you and vice versa?

Matthew Hurt: He is probably better at defense than me, but we are very similar. We can both move without the ball. We can both drive. We can both finish.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are the younger brother and there are already people saying that you are going to "better" brother. Is that something you have heard or is that something you tease your brother about?

Matthew Hurt: Yes, but it doesn't really matter to me. I just go out there and do my best.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to you to play Division I basketball?

Matthew Hurt: I would love it. It would be really fun, playing on TV. Playing in front of my parents. My brother can watch. It would be really outstanding.

Gopher Hole: Would you maybe want to play at the same college? Have you ever even talked about that?

Matthew Hurt: It is fun playing with my brother. Him and I know how to play with each other. We know how to pass to each other. We know where to find people. I'd love to play with my brother.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Matthew Hurt: I am working on my threes. My driving and finishing. I am just trying to be a really good shooter because people think that I am really big and be inside, but I can step out to the three-point line and hit the three.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that helps you because if people leave you open, you feel confident that you can hit the outside shot, but you also have the inside game that if they have a smaller guy on you, you can score inside?

Matthew Hurt: Yes. I love shooting. It is fun.

Gopher Hole: Has basketball always been a love of yours?

Matthew Hurt: Yes.

Gopher Hole: When did you first start playing?

Matthew Hurt: Kindergarten.

We are now recruiting kids who potentially weren't even born when 9/11 happened.

I feel old. :cry:

Go Gophers!!

Dang this kid is my age and he is 6'6. Wow

That is the strange part of posting on these sites. You might be discussing the gophers with a middle school kid or you might be talking with and old crusty guy like Doc Don. You never really know.

Top Bottom