Marcus blog: Gophers incoming 6-11 FR Bakary Konate “excited to finally get there"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Marcus blog: Gophers incoming 6-11 FR Bakary Konate “excited to finally get there"

Per Marcus:

Konate, who is from Mali, passed the SAT this summer to be fully qualified. That was the first hurdle. He also passed the U’s English proficiency test in the last week. So he should be “good to go,” Barnwell said.

“He’s an international student, so they needed to know about his English level and the comprehension of things,” Barnwell said. “The admissions went through the process to make sure that he can basically sit in a class and be able to understand what’s going on and comprehend and take classes.”

What Konate missed most by not being with the rest of his Gopher teammates in Minnesota is getting an early start with weight training. He gained 15 pounds at Sunrise but is still only about 220, Barnwell said.

He might not be physically ready for Big Ten post play. But with his length and athleticism, Konate could be a shot-blocking presence sooner than later.

“He better,” Barnwell said. “He’s going to be mad if he doesn’t. That’s what he’s capable of doing right now. The speed of the game will be an issue. But once he gets used to it, he’ll be fine.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...ng-6-11-fr-bakary-konate-excited-finally-get/

Go Gophers!!

Per Marcus:

Konate, who is from Mali, passed the SAT this summer to be fully qualified. That was the first hurdle. He also passed the U’s English proficiency test in the last week. So he should be “good to go,” Barnwell said.

“He’s an international student, so they needed to know about his English level and the comprehension of things,” Barnwell said. “The admissions went through the process to make sure that he can basically sit in a class and be able to understand what’s going on and comprehend and take classes.”

What Konate missed most by not being with the rest of his Gopher teammates in Minnesota is getting an early start with weight training. He gained 15 pounds at Sunrise but is still only about 220, Barnwell said.

He might not be physically ready for Big Ten post play. But with his length and athleticism, Konate could be a shot-blocking presence sooner than later.

“He better,” Barnwell said. “He’s going to be mad if he doesn’t. That’s what he’s capable of doing right now. The speed of the game will be an issue. But once he gets used to it, he’ll be fine.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...ng-6-11-fr-bakary-konate-excited-finally-get/

Go Gophers!!

What a misleading headline. You go from "excited to finally get here" to the following paragraph that makes it clear he is NOT HERE and won't be for a week or two.

Later this month, the University of Minnesota’s incoming 6-foot-11 freshman is expected to arrive on campus to get settled in before the start of the fall semester in September.

"He might not be physically ready for Big Ten post play. But with his length and athleticism, Konate could be a shot-blocking presence sooner than later."

This line and the fact that he was not here all summer makes me wonder if he will red-shirt... Do big-name programs red-shirt players? Seems like they have a different issue where players leave to play pro...

"He might not be physically ready for Big Ten post play. But with his length and athleticism, Konate could be a shot-blocking presence sooner than later."

This line and the fact that he was not here all summer makes me wonder if he will red-shirt... Do big-name programs red-shirt players? Seems like they have a different issue where players leave to play pro...

They redshirt the 3 star guys who are expected to stay for 3-5 years. They don't redshirt the superstars who will start on day 1. We have upper classman front court players. I'd be extremely surprised to see either freshman big man not redshirt.

When our foreign guys first signed, I figured one of them would redshirt and the other would play. It's looking more and more like they'll both redshirt. Which would be fine, we've got plenty of depth at the 4/5 this season, and a lot of minutes will open up next season.

When our foreign guys first signed, I figured one of them would redshirt and the other would play. It's looking more and more like they'll both redshirt. Which would be fine, we've got plenty of depth at the 4/5 this season, and a lot of minutes will open up next season.
Don't know if I'd say we have plenty of depth. We basically have 4 guys to play those 2 spots and 5 if you include Buggs. If EE or No gets in early foul trouble we're looking at maybe Martin having to play minutes at the 5. We could survive but it would be nice to have another big to throw in the mix

At the 5 we'd be the same as last year, only with our guys a year older and, presumably, better.

At the 4 I think we're better off with an older Joey and Martin instead of Oto. Hopefully Buggs can contribute a bit more consistently too. So in the end, while yeah it would be nice to have one more guy ready to go, hence why I initially figured one of the foreign guys wouldn't redshirt. But I think we're still better off at both positions than we were last year, even if we do redshirt both of the new guys.

We can't redshirt both, since next year one of the two is expected to start, and the other one will provide solid minutes. The need to get their feet wet In big time college play is very important, otherwise we will struggle big time next year at the 5. I expect both to get some play next year.

We can't redshirt both, since next year one of the two is expected to start, and the other one will provide solid minutes. The need to get their feet wet In big time college play is very important, otherwise we will struggle big time next year at the 5. I expect both to get some play next year.

No way we have 3 red-shirt in the same year with Lofton already red-shirting... Hope Gaston and Konate are good enough and take minutes from our current players this year...

6'11, 220, and in addition the pace of the game will be an issue? Just based off those two things, he needs to be redshirted.

There are arguments on both sides. It's a little tough to make the call at the present time without seeing them play or how they adjust to college life. The decision doesn't have to be made until November. I believe they won't redshirt, they will be available to play. McNeil did not redshirt. There is also the school of thought you don't want somebody here taking up a scholarship for five years when you believe you can recruit superior players to them going forward.

When our foreign guys first signed, I figured one of them would redshirt and the other would play. It's looking more and more like they'll both redshirt.

No. It's not.

Per Marcus:

This sounds like good news, but also validates what some people have been saying, that it was not a "done deal" that both foreign big men would make it to campus this fall.

I would presume there is one more "hurdle" not mentioned by Barnwell, that the U admission office must admit Konate. Hopefully it's just a formality, but when they're looking at foreign classes, who knows. I'll celebrate when he's here.

Top Bottom