CBS: Candid Coaches: Will Power 5 in college hoops leave the NCAA? 69% say yes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Do you believe the Power 5 will splinter off from the rest of the pack within the next 10 years, creating a Division 4-type structure?

Yes: 69 percent
No: 31 percent

QUOTES THAT STOOD OUT

“I think the split is coming sooner than people think.”

“I honestly don't see how the non-Big Five will coexist with the new structure. You're already labeling them below the power five now. Let's be honest, Connecticut, Cincinnati, etc. are scrambling to get out of their current conference for a reason. They have to see the writing on the wall. Recruiting high-major kids will be very difficult for those teams that remain outside of power five.”

“They're bluffing. They don't want to break away, especially presidents.”

"Every decision the schools make is made with money in mind. So if they decide they can make more money by breaking away, they'll breakaway. And they can probably make more money by breaking away."

“I believe that's what they want. I think this is just the first step toward full autonomy to do what they want. I think there have been enough issues lately with the NCAA, that those schools could break off and the money (ESPN, FOX, etc.) would follow. Why wouldn't it? The only issue is how do you legitimize the schools that are going and the ones that don't? I mean, as it stands now, there are schools on the outside looking in right now, that technically should belong in that top 65 or whatever it is. You've got some good schools in some conferences that are ‘power' players, so how do you pick and choose who gets to go? The ones hurt by this obviously are the AAC, MWC and Big East -- three very solid conferences who just can't, on a consistent basis, carry the load when it comes to money. It's going to be interesting, because it's going to shift everything that we currently know.”

“I believe that the biggest schools, especially with the new legistlation, will have to do something different. I think that will allow a few mid-major conferences to align with the majors, such as the Missouri Valley, etc. The mids and low-majors will then have their own division, so to speak. It will be similar to FBS and FCS, in my opinion.”

“I hate it, but I'm really scared is going to happen. My issue is the elites of the elites, the Izzos, Ks, Williams, getting together to make a rule to balance out something to help them, instead of what's best for the game sometimes.”

“I believe that power conferences will break away, and no one without football will be able to compete with what they are providing their student athletes, they will need 20 basketball schools to have a tournament, so WCC, A10, Big East will survive and be included. Only three or four sports will survive. Football, men's basketball, women's basketball, and maybe volleyball. Everyone else will disappear.”

“I think the entertainment value that is created will cause University's to be more greedy year after year. I could see some of the bigger schools breaking away and creating their own platform for athletic performance that will always bring in the crowds to watch elite talent compete against each other. NCAA should be feeling this pressure."
"You've heard how all of the Big East coaches are nervous about the new Big East? This is why. This is their fear."
“I think about it from a basketball perspective and think, Well, the tournament would so much luster if it didn't have smaller schools involved. Then I remember football runs everything and there are only 50 schools that matter for that.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...r-conferences-in-college-hoops-leave-the-ncaa

Go Gophers!!

They will break away for legal and financial reasons. They can cut out the middle man and make more money. The NCAA was always a weak actor. They appointed themselves the enforcer. They weren't created to enforce. The NCAA has been exposed, and money is leading the day. Expect the big conferences to leave by 2020.

Letting money take over amateur sports (more) is a terrific plan.

They will break away for legal and financial reasons. They can cut out the middle man and make more money. The NCAA was always a weak actor. They appointed themselves the enforcer. They weren't created to enforce. The NCAA has been exposed, and money is leading the day. Expect the big conferences to leave by 2020.

I see it as a pick your poison choice, for football it makes sense but part of what makes the NCAA basketball tournament so popular is that the mid majors make it unpredictable, take that away and I think you weaken that tournament considerably.

I don't think it will be that soon, as there likely will be more conference realignment before then. It would be easiest to get to 64 or so big schools in 4 conferences of 16. Or possibly even one entity with four 16 team divisions (why not split the money evenly among all the teams). Granted some schools on the high end (for example Texas) may not like that approach, but they need to see keeping all the teams viable is important. Wonder if that happened if some smaller (private) schools may drop out of the race. I think it will take another decade or more for this all to settle.

I actually think it will wind up with the Division I programs including the FCS programs in one organization and Division II and III in a different organization.
The difference between BCS and FCS will be bigger for football than for hoops, that is how they preserve the March Madness mystique.
This is going to keep changing a lot over the next five years. Keeping the NCAA hoops tournament more inclusive is one way the power conferences can lessen the idea it is all about money.
The power conferences have real problems with the NCAA, it really is not up to the leadership job the power conferences need.
I am not thrilled about all of the probable changes, but watching the NCAA try to discipline a helmet school is hilarious. Miami should have been close to the death penalty, instead it had to stay in the class room during recess.

Top Bottom