Q&A: Jarvis Johnson Discusses Official Visits With Gophers, Badgers and Rebels

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Jarvis Johnson Discusses Upcoming Official Visits With Gophers, Badgers and Rebels
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/410290?referrer_id=388419

Jarvis Johnson, a 2015 point guard from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, helped lead the Islanders to its third straight Class AAA championships in March as they finished 26-3 this year and won its last 23 games. He is hoping to tie a Minnesota state record with a fourth straight title this season.

Johnson scored 22 points in the Twin Cities Classic finale and was named MVP.

Gopher Hole caught up with Johnson Sunday to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: Have you set your official visits yet?

Jarvis Johnson: It is Minnesota, UNLV and Wisconsin.

Gopher Hole: Do you know when they are going to be yet?

Jarvis Johnson: No. Not for sure. I think that I am going to UNLV September 7th or October 3rd. One of the two.

Gopher Hole: Do you know when you are going to do the Minnesota visit yet?

Jarvis Johnson: I think at the end of this month.

Gopher Hole: I know that they have a home opener for football versus Eastern Illinois August 28th. Would it be then?

Jarvis Johnson: I think that is when it is.

Gopher Hole: I had heard that you might visit Wichita State.

Jarvis Johnson: I am not sure yet. I was thinking about it, but I'll see where I am at with recruiting. I'll get a chance to see and if I like the other schools, then I'll pick.

Gopher Hole: You are definitely going to visit those three, Minnesota, UNLV and Wisconsin. What are you hoping to gain from those experiences of visiting those schools?

Jarvis Johnson: Just get a chance to enjoy myself. See the different styles that teams have. The coaches at the schools. I just want to go out there and have fun and enjoy my time there.

Gopher Hole: I know that in the past, you played out in Las Vegas for AAU. Have you had a chance to see the school before?

Jarvis Johnson: No, I really haven't, but I have been talking to Rashad Vaughn and we are pretty close. He is telling me that he likes it there and it is pretty comfortable to be there.

Gopher Hole: You have obviously been to Minnesota many times and been to Wisconsin for Howard Pulley with the team camp. What do you know about Madison?

Jarvis Johnson: I don't really know too much. I actually didn't go to the team camp, because I had to go to UNI, but they are saying good things. I do want to get out there. I know that the football program is doing well, so I'll get a chance to see a football game also. Minnesota is the hometown state. I got a chance to see a couple of places around there, but not everything.

Gopher Hole: Have you been to Madison before much at all?

Jarvis Johnson: A couple of times, but not really.

Gopher Hole: You are starting to narrow down your list. Are you starting to get comfortable enough to narrow down your list to a certain number of schools or are you pretty wide open?

Jarvis Johnson: I was thinking about narrowing it down next week. I was thinking that I would have it by the end of this week, but there were a couple of schools popping in. I think it will be early next week or sometime next week.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that you are going to take all five visits or would you not take all your official visits?

Jarvis Johnson: I'm not sure. I couldn't tell you.

Gopher Hole: How about the summer? How pleased were you with how well things went for you AAU-wise this summer.

Jarvis Johnson: I was very pleased. We came together at the end. We made it to the Peach Jam, even though we didn't do well. That was our goal; to make it to the Peach Jam, so we finished pretty strong in Louisville. We didn't have all of our pieces to our puzzle, but we ended on a good note, I think.

Gopher Hole: When you finally make your decision on what school you are going to go to, what is going to be the main factors that is going to make you pick School A over School B or C?

Jarvis Johnson: I think where I feel most comfortable at and the style of play. The coaches there.

Gopher Hole: I know that the last time I talked to you, you were going to maybe check out Kevin Dorsey at the Peach Jam. I know that you were so busy with your own games, but did you get a chance to watch him?

Jarvis Johnson: I actually got to see a small bit of one of his games. I know that he is pretty good, so I am going to try to link up with him sooner than later.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to see enough to see how you could play together?

Jarvis Johnson: Yes, I did. I did.

I'll get a chance to see and if I like the other schools, then I'll pick.

Gopher Hole: I know that in the past, you played out in Las Vegas for AAU. Have you had a chance to see the school before?

Jarvis Johnson: No, I really haven't, but I have been talking to Rashad Vaughn and we are pretty close. He is telling me that he likes it there and it is pretty comfortable to be there.

Gopher Hole: You are starting to narrow down your list. Are you starting to get comfortable enough to narrow down your list to a certain number of schools or are you pretty wide open?

Jarvis Johnson: I was thinking about narrowing it down next week. I was thinking that I would have it by the end of this week, but there were a couple of schools popping in. I think it will be early next week or sometime next week.

Following recruiting closely can really suck sometimes.

Well good thing I don't absolutely despise the other two schools he is currently considering.

It would suck to lose him to UNLV or Wiscy.

The only helpful information Rashad would have offered Jarvis is what the Rebels going rate is for 4-star guards. $$

Too bad Rashad isn't telling Jarvis how comfortable he is at the home state school. SMH. I'd probably give us a 50% shot at the moment, with UW sitting at 40% and UNLV 10%.

Too bad Rashad isn't telling Jarvis how comfortable he is at the home state school. SMH. I'd probably give us a 50% shot at the moment, with UW sitting at 40% and UNLV 10%.

I hope you're right Madtown, but I have a bad feeling that UNLV might be the leader at this point. No reason really, just a feeling.

Vaughn...Projection: late lottery to mid first round pick in the 2015 NBA Draft is not likely to be around when/if Jarvis plays for UNLV

Vaughn...Projection: late lottery to mid first round pick in the 2015 NBA Draft is not likely to be around when/if Jarvis plays for UNLV

Thats not the point. He was just telling him good things about the place. Never said anything about playing together.

No...Those things do not mean the same thing. But keep making **** up Brain Rust.

I agree with Brain Trust. I would definitely want to play with someone I am close with, rather than playing with people I don't know. If this situation was reversed and Jarvis was close with Andre Hollins or someone else on our roster everyone on this board would be saying its a done deal.

I agree with Brain Trust. I would definitely want to play with someone I am close with, rather than playing with people I don't know. If this situation was reversed and Jarvis was close with Andre Hollins or someone else on our roster everyone on this board would be saying its a done deal.

Wrong. And slim chance Vaughn is there more than one season.

Wrong. And slim chance Vaughn is there more than one season.

No disrespect, but thats just my opinion. It's not wrong if my opinion is different than yours.

So you think Vaughn being on the team doesn't help UNLV in the slightest way?

No disrespect, but thats just my opinion. It's not wrong if my opinion is different than yours.

So you think Vaughn being on the team doesn't help UNLV in the slightest way?

I think what he's saying is it won't matter because Vaughn is a one and done. Vaughn would already be in the NBA before Jarvis even steps on campus so they wouldn't actually play together.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>PG Jarvis Johnson (DeLaSalle/Pulley) will officially visit Minnesota the weekend of September 5-7, Wisconsin Sept 20-22, maybe UNLV in Oct</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/501454347041902592">August 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom