CBS: Candid Coaches: Should the NCAA worry with weed tests?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Should the NCAA remove marijuana from its list of banned substances?

Yes: 24 percent
No: 76 percent

FIVE QUOTES THAT STOOD OUT

"Marijuana is becoming more and more accepted in our society and is too popular in basketball culture. I think the decision to punish marijuana use should be left up to individual schools and programs. I am not pro marijuana use, but I do not think the NCAA should be responsible for enforcement."

"I don't know that I favor removing marijuana as a banned substance but at some point the NCAA has to have an honest conversation as to how often they test and what fair penalties are. The other factor is that from a legal standpoint many states are starting to 'pseudo' legalize marijuana use, and I suspect many states will follow. You don't get penalized for legal alcohol use … so why legal marijuana use?"

"You can't remove it until it's legal in all the states. We're trending in that direction. But we aren't ready for that yet."

"Marijuana is still illegal in the majority of states, so it has to remain a banned substance."

"Marijuana should be a banned substance. But a year-long suspension or a six-month suspension or whatever for one positive test [administered by the NCAA] is crazy. The mayor of Toronto can keep his job after being caught on tape smoking crack, but we're suspending kids for a year for a weed test? It's ridiculous."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...coaches-should-the-ncaa-worry-with-weed-tests

Go Gophers!!

War on drugs has been more expensive, cost us more lives and has been a bigger failure than Vietnam.

Legalized in many states.......

2 at last count right?

If you count not only the two states where it's legal for anyone, but also states where it is legal for medical use I believe about 20 states have it legalized.

If you count not only the two states where it's legal for anyone, but also states where it is legal for medical use I believe about 20 states have it legalized.
I really don't want to ruin this thread, however, it is about weed and it's going to go this way anyways. I'm also very uneducated in the effects of weed, I used it in my highschool days for a while and periodically throughout college while in my partying days, but I don't know anyone that is a habitual user nor do I pretend to be an expert
^^Highlight for disclaimer^^
Steroids are legal for medical use as well... No one is claiming steroids are legal in most states when they get busted for using them.

I'm not a weed hater/supporter. I just find it funny that everywhere you look in sports today there seems to be articles/support for marijuana usage because "everyone is doing it", "it's not that bad", "other crimes have weaker penalties" and my favorite "its legal in many states". None of those arguments carry a whole lot of weight with me. It's illegal, don't do it until it's legal.

As an employer I'm scared sh1tless of the day where my employees can smoke marijuana and come to work the next day. I may be ignorant or naive about the subject but the fact remains, I'm scared sh1tless of it. At least with alcohol the effects of abuse/recent use are much more readily apparent and have many more effective ways of testing to see if someone is abusing, I don't believe those are available for marijuana yet, again I could be naive and or ignorant on the facts, but I'm stating my opinion.

Steroids are legal for medical use as well...

Oral steroids for medical use (aka prednisone) is NOT the same as anabolic steroids used for muscle gain. Very different substances and effects.

I'm personally not a fan of recreational substance use, but this topic could turn into a s*** show quite easily, so I'm not contributing to the discussion other than that clarification.

I really don't want to ruin this thread, however, it is about weed and it's going to go this way anyways. I'm also very uneducated in the effects of weed, I used it in my highschool days for a while and periodically throughout college while in my partying days, but I don't know anyone that is a habitual user nor do I pretend to be an expert
^^Highlight for disclaimer^^
Steroids are legal for medical use as well... No one is claiming steroids are legal in most states when they get busted for using them.

I'm not a weed hater/supporter. I just find it funny that everywhere you look in sports today there seems to be articles/support for marijuana usage because "everyone is doing it", "it's not that bad", "other crimes have weaker penalties" and my favorite "its legal in many states". None of those arguments carry a whole lot of weight with me. It's illegal, don't do it until it's legal.

As an employer I'm scared sh1tless of the day where my employees can smoke marijuana and come to work the next day. I may be ignorant or naive about the subject but the fact remains, I'm scared sh1tless of it. At least with alcohol the effects of abuse/recent use are much more readily apparent and have many more effective ways of testing to see if someone is abusing, I don't believe those are available for marijuana yet, again I could be naive and or ignorant on the facts, but I'm stating my opinion.

I manage a small team of six. I know of four smokers on my team including my manager (casual user), and also my strongest performer (daily user). I think you would be surprised by how many people in your company use and the people who do might surprise you.

I manage a small team of six. I know of four smokers on my team including my manager (casual user), and also my strongest performer (daily user). I think you would be surprised by how many people in your company use and the people who do might surprise you.

I employ a large group of CDL drivers as part of my employee base. If any used, I'd be very surprised.

Warehouse workers? They probably all do.

I employ a large group of CDL drivers as part of my employee base. If any used, I'd be very surprised.

I'm with you then. I wouldn't want truckers all stoned driving around either :). I'm in technology, so a little different risk.

Just speaking from past history/experiances but, I'd be surprised if the majority of the drivers didn't use...

I manage a small team of six. I know of four smokers on my team including my manager (casual user), and also my strongest performer (daily user) <-Separate clause alert! Warning! Nate is hitting the bong all day at work!. I think you would be surprised by how many people in your company use and the people who do might surprise you.

Hook me up!

I want to be the next Walter White

do you work at jimmy john's?!

Top Bottom