Gophers Penn St updates

Minnesota coming back and taking the lead 6-5. runners on 2nd and 3rd no outs.

It looks like it's going to start raining again there by about 5:30. Hopefully they can get one more inning in!!

PSU strike for 4 runs to take a 9-8 lead. ouch.

Tim Ryan relieved Sexton and was simply awful. :mad::mad: He was all over the place, hit a couple of guys and gave up a blistering double that has now put us in a hole. He didn't look like a college pitcher today.

Hopefully we won't look back and say that our bullpen cost us a Big Ten title ala. the Twins this year.

Edit...no offense to Tim Ryan or the rest of the Gophers. Too much emotion on my part. Obviously, he along with the rest of the team (including Buske, Sexton Tim Ryan, Luke Rasmussen) have been excellent all year long. It just really sucks that they had one of their tough outings in the biggest game of the year to this point. :eek::eek:

Need to get on the bats now big time. At this point, I don't think our pitchers are reliable for the rest of this game. Every guy that we've trotted out there has been fighting it from the first pitch they throw. We're going to need between 12-15 runs to win this thing I have a feeling.

Not looking good at all. We're doing absolutely nothing offensively and our pitchers are getting us into trouble virtually every time they throw a pitch.

Now we're down 10-8 heading to the bottom of the eighth. Our bullpen has been absolutely terrible today and we're pressing big-time at the plate.

We may have just kissed that Big Ten title bye bye. But with how we have played today, we really don't deserve to call ourselves a champion. :mad::mad:

Well you are quite a downer MRJ. The Gophers have played great all year, and they have won both games on the road so far this series. It would be dissapointing to lose the championship on a game like this, but you make them sound like a bunch of losers, which they are most certaintly not.

Terrible call to end the game, dammit, oh well Geason shouldn't have even batted bc of that error

that it. Penn State win 10-8 and OSU clinches the big ten title.

Well that's it. We effectively flushed the Big Ten title down the proverbial toilet in an ugly loss to a bad Penn State team 10-8. Too bad our team apparently thought the game was over after the second rain delay.

But really, our pitchers cost us the win and the title. Every one of them that was out there today was terrible. This loss is completely on them. We just got beat by team playing for nothing but pride. Give the Nittany Lions credit to some extent, but we didn't deserve to win with the effort we got on the mound.

Thankfully, we have a few days to pick ourselves up. But to get this kind of effort with a conference title on the line is really disappointing. :mad::mad::mad:

Well you are quite a downer MRJ. The Gophers have played great all year, and they have won both games on the road so far this series. It would be dissapointing to lose the championship on a game like this, but you make them sound like a bunch of losers, which they are most certaintly not.

I've never called them losers and never will. First and foremost, these are college kids and to call them that would be irresponsible in my opinion. There is no doubt they were terrible today. That's just the fact of the matter. Have they had a great year? Absolutely. And are there more games to play? Absolutely and I'm looking forward to seeing how we do at the Big Ten Tournament and in the NCAAs, but I for one can't just blow off the chance to win a Big Ten title with a really bad performance just because we've had a great year. That's not how I roll.

That's just me. If there is one thing I can say for this group however, it's that it's young and still learning to a certain extent. Hopefully, the guys will learn from the experience and come out harder and more focused not only for the rest of this year, but for coming years as well.

Having said that, I'm calling it how I see it for this game, which is what I do for every game. But from an overall stand point, I agree with you. If someone would have told me we would be 35-15 overall and 17-6 in the Big Ten to finish up, I would have been very happy. Now it's on to the Big Ten Tourney where hopefully we can atone for this game.

Terrible call to end the game, dammit, oh well Geason shouldn't have even batted bc of that error

Was it just me, or was that umpire really hard to read? :confused: Even the TV guys were talking about it. I must admit I didn't really have much trouble with his strike zone overall, but he would have been an absolute nightmare for folks in the stands to figure out.

Very disappointing loss, however in the end it will have very little impact on the rest of our season. I hate to rip college players but Tim Ryan is not a division 1 pitcher and had no business pitching in such a meaningful game. No idea why Rasmussen didn't come in much earlier. I also have a big probelm with why the game was played at all on Saturday, everybody knew it was going to rain all day and it's a huge pain in the ass to have all those rain delays, especially with an open date on sunday. It's also too bad that we had to lose the conference title because of a rain out earlier in the year, would be nice to make up that Indiana game because we beat Ohio State 2 of 3 which I believe would be the top tiebreaker, oh well. All we really lost was a chance to host a regional, which was a stretch to begin with. I think all we have to do is finish in the top 2 at the BTT and we should be safe with a #2 seed.

Top Bottom