The Gazette: Minnesota players love the "Who Hates Iowa?" chant

@jdmill: Most. Iowa. Picture. Ever. RT @LonelyTailgater This pic never gets old to me: http://t.co/hhErYLHBgb

Bue31iLIMAEDd3i.jpg

I'm not a fan of the chant. It makes us seem like we are obsessed with Iowa. I would much rather be in a position where the Gophers beat them handily and you could pat the Iowa fan next to you on the back and say "better luck next year buddy, nice little team you have there." Or, to paraphrase Casablanca....Iowa: "You hate me don't you." Minnesota "If I gave you any thought at all I probably would."

Well, we are kind of obsessed with Iowa - it's called a rivalry.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

As soon as Norwood made the statements of disavowing the chant, all he did was put gasoline on the fire. The student section is just going to do it more.

I will say hearing the chant at away games is pretty funny. At Nebraska a couple years back, a bunch of us were tailgating with some Husker fans we just met and the chant broke out by some Gopher fans. the entire lot of Husker and Gopher fans kept it going.

As soon as Norwood made the statements of disavowing the chant, all he did was put gasoline on the fire. The student section is just going to do it more. I will say hearing the chant at away games is pretty funny. At Nebraska a couple years back, a bunch of us were tailgating with some Husker fans we just met and the chant broke out by some Gopher fans. the entire lot of Husker and Gopher fans kept it going.

Yes!! This also happened a few times at one of the bars after the game!

This is the best kind of cheer, IMO. Started organically among the fans (as opposed to the Ski-U-Mah flags), easily recognizable, not too vulgar (like F--- Bo Ryan), and unique to our team/fans. Love it.

After Iowa defeated Minnesota 23-7 at TCF last season, I was standing in the concourse waiting for a friend. I must say, I was impressed, even after a total defeat, a mass of Gopher students were walking proudly out of the stadium chanting,"Who Hates Iowa, We Hate Iowa." That's what makes college football great. I'm sure their pride was damaged but hey...they were still yelling proudly.

Sorry Norwood - this ringing endorsement from the players is going to keep this chant around, despite the U's official stance to decry it.

Excellent...

They knew what they were doing in the athletic department on this one. Coming out publicly against the chant was only going to make it an even bigger thing because they would have to be complete idiots not to know that telling fans, many of whom are college students, that they can't do something is only going to make them want to do it more. The department can shrug and tell anyone that comes after them that they "tried" to get rid of it while at the same time loving one of the few chants that actually gets our fan base to act like those in other parts of the conference.

The admin says they hate it, the players say they love it = Who Hates Iowa chants ringing through TCF Bank Stadium all season.

I'm not a fan of the chant. It makes us seem like we are obsessed with Iowa. I would much rather be in a position where the Gophers beat them handily and you could pat the Iowa fan next to you on the back and say "better luck next year buddy, nice little team you have there." Or, to paraphrase Casablanca....Iowa: "You hate me don't you." Minnesota "If I gave you any thought at all I probably would."

I'm actually the opposite. I hate when rivals start acting like the rivalry doesn't matter anymore. Wisconsin fans are like that to some degree. They act like Minnesota is irrelevant, yet they obsess over us as well.

I'm actually the opposite. I hate when rivals start acting like the rivalry doesn't matter anymore. Wisconsin fans are like that to some degree. They act like Minnesota is irrelevant, yet they obsess over us as well.

With the number of meaningless threads they have over at Buckyville ripping us it is very apparent that we are still very relevant to them which i actually prefer.

I've been a diehard Gopher fan for over 40 years, so maybe this is a generational thing, but this chant is just stupid. Especially when we are not even playing Iowa, then it just sounds ridiculous.

I've been a diehard Gopher fan for over 40 years, so maybe this is a generational thing, but this chant is just stupid. Especially when we are not even playing Iowa, then it just sounds ridiculous.

IT'S NOT STUPID!!! WE HATE IOWA!!!

Other non-Iowan fans think it is funny once they figure it out. The people down in TX at the last two bowls got it right away. It is a great chant and will be a tradition for years to come if not forever.

Go Gophers!

I love this. It doesn't matter if Iowa is playing or not. I saw Gopher fans doing this at Michigan and the Michigan fans were joining in. Hahaha

we just need a Wisconsin chant. I hate losing to Iowa, but I actually hate Wisconsin, fans and all.

After Iowa defeated Minnesota 23-7 at TCF last season, I was standing in the concourse waiting for a friend. I must say, I was impressed, even after a total defeat, a mass of Gopher students were walking proudly out of the stadium chanting,"Who Hates Iowa, We Hate Iowa." That's what makes college football great. I'm sure their pride was damaged but hey...they were still yelling proudly.

Just to keep the record straight, Iowa didn't defeat Minnesota last season. Minnesota beat Iowa 51-14.

I agree on the need for a WI chant. And, truthfully, feelings toward Iowa are more disdain wrapped in pity. WI though is true hate. We need a new chant. But keep the old one too.

Who hates Iowa?

I agree on the need for a WI chant. And, truthfully, feelings toward Iowa are more disdain wrapped in pity. WI though is true hate. We need a new chant. But keep the old one too.

Who hates Iowa?

I don't think a chant is needed for Wisconsin. Wisconsin hate is an intrinsic hate. Something that you feel, that is always simmering inside. Iowa hate is the kind you have to express to keep burning, it needs to be a fraternity of hatred and disdain for the obviously inferior state to the south.

When I say I hate Iowa, it is about as deep and emotional as when I once lost to my 7 year old daughter playing Parcheesi. I just don't feel that deeply about it.

When I say I hate Iowa, it is about as deep and emotional as when I once lost to my 7 year old daughter playing Parcheesi. I just don't feel that deeply about it.

Yeah, it's not something I take seriously although I think it's funny and is representative of the absurdity that are rivalries in college football.

Top Bottom