STrib: Summer series: Elliott Eliason's tweaked game "could surprise some people"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
STrib: Summer series: Elliott Eliason's tweaked game "could surprise some people"

per the STrib:

One of his goals is to improve his shooting, yes, but in a smart way: Perfecting a turn-around jumper that is already difficult to block because of his high release. Adding an 8-to-10 foot jumper that McHale believes will "surprise some people." And rather than forcing his weaknesses -- he will never be a back-to-the-basket player -- the coaches have Eliason working on securing a deep position in the paint more consistently, so he doesn't have to post up off the block.

"When he gets deep post position, you can't guard him," McHale said. "He's too big, he's too massive of a frame.

"It isn't reinventing the wheel with him. It isn't trying to get more counters or up-and-unders or drop-steps. It's definitely just trying to get post position."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/269414801.html

Go Gophers!!

Elliott's " 8-to-10 foot jumper " if missed will be slammed home by Martin, Gaston, or the sf...

per the STrib:

One of his goals is to improve his shooting, yes, but in a smart way: Perfecting a turn-around jumper that is already difficult to block because of his high release. Adding an 8-to-10 foot jumper that McHale believes will "surprise some people." And rather than forcing his weaknesses -- he will never be a back-to-the-basket player -- the coaches have Eliason working on securing a deep position in the paint more consistently, so he doesn't have to post up off the block.

"When he gets deep post position, you can't guard him," McHale said. "He's too big, he's too massive of a frame.

"It isn't reinventing the wheel with him. It isn't trying to get more counters or up-and-unders or drop-steps. It's definitely just trying to get post position."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/269414801.html

Go Gophers!!

The reminds back to a story that was written while he was in high school... how he he had good touch and had been working on his 8-10 range shot.

EE's max bench last year was 135 lbs? Wow, no wonder he was easy to push around.

Also, looking forward to him actually dunking this year (hopefully).

EE's max bench last year was 135 lbs?

I read your post and had to go to the story, because I though there is no way his max bench was only 135lbs. It wasn't. His max bench was 185... Now he is at 235.

"He's lifting 185 pounds on the bar, up from 135"... The bar is 45lbs, clamps 2.5lbs ea. = 50lbs.

I read your post and had to go to the story, because I though there is no way his max bench was only 135lbs. It wasn't. His max bench was 185... Now he is at 235.

"He's lifting 185 pounds on the bar, up from 135"... The bar is 45lbs, clamps 2.5lbs ea. = 50lbs.

I didn't catch that I guess. That is so poorly worded. Why not just state what his max is? Your average Strib read has no idea what a bar weighs or probably has any idea they use clamps to keep the weights on.

Why not just state what his max is?

I agree. I've spent plenty of time in the weight room/gyms and I have never heard anyone say I bench 'x' weight (not including the bar)...

185 was still extremely poor for a 21/22 year old D1 athlete, even factoring in his loooooooong arms. Nice to hear he got up to a somewhat respectable 235lbs.

Who in the he11 includes the weight of the clamps when saying how much they can bench?? Nobody does that...
Anyways, onto EE, ideally he's Mo's backup who plays 15 mins a game. I really think Mo is going to do big things this year, and I hope Elliot can compliment him nicely.

I think the center rotation will depend on tempo. If the Gophs achieve Pitino's goal of playing at a faster tempo, the centers will probably be switching in and out fairly quickly.

Don't discount Eliason's defense and rebounding - he will get plenty of playing time. If I had to bet, I would think that Eliason and Walker will be close to even in playing time. Of course, depending on the opponent, one or the other could see more minutes.

My interpretation of "He's lifting 185 pounds on the bar, up from 135" is that he was doing sets with 135 and now is is doing sets with 185, not max. So before he was lifting the bar and two 45 lb plates, now he has added a 25 lb to each side as well..but who knows.

My interpretation of "He's lifting 185 pounds on the bar, up from 135" is that he was doing sets with 135 and now is is doing sets with 185, not max. So before he was lifting the bar and two 45 lb plates, now he has added a 25 lb to each side as well..but who knows.

+1.

No one talks about weight minus the bar, especially a strength and conditioning coach. It's pretty obvious given the weights that he was using plates and quarters with the bar.

And who uses clips let alone 2.5# clips??

THose be some big asz clips.....

185 for a 7 foot dude isn't "extremely poor" either....

+1.

No one talks about weight minus the bar, especially a strength and conditioning coach. It's pretty obvious given the weights that he was using plates and quarters with the bar.

And who uses clips let alone 2.5# clips??

"He's lifting 185 pounds on the bar, up from 135"... -This is the quote from the story "on the bar". A standard olympic weight bar is always 45lbs.

I don't use collars unless I am maxing out or close and most people use the lightweight springs or the 1.25lbs collars. http://www.amazon.com/2-5-Chromed-Training-Collars-Pair/dp/B0036ROHEY - serious weight rooms, like at the UofM would surly have the 2.5lbs collars, even my high school used them back in the day, they are pretty standard.

2-1/2" clips/collars are not big...

Who in the he11 includes the weight of the clamps when saying how much they can bench?? Nobody does that...

Anyone who maxes out real weight... granted I'd guess most people use the springs or not collars, which then you would just be adding the 45lbs bar and whats on the bar (barbells).

It's amazing how good she is at writing in a confusing manner for no reason. How hard is it to tell us how much he benches? Good god.

Her articles always seem to start off with gems like this:

"The center, one summer after losing more than 20 pounds and dramatically changing his body, walks around the court and weight room and Bierman Athletic Building, now, sans shirt."

Try reading that out loud.

Anyone who maxes out real weight... granted I'd guess most people use the springs or not collars, which then you would just be adding the 45lbs bar and whats on the bar (barbells).

I prefer using the lighter springs...it allows me to lift more weight.

Top Bottom