Pitino Adds Nate Pomeday to Basketball Staff as Director of Basketball Operations

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Veteran coach and former Big Ten player Nate Pomeday has been added to the Minnesota men's basketball staff, head coach Richard Pitino announced today. Pomeday, who most recently served as assistant coach at Oregon State, will join the Golden Gophers as the director of basketball operations.

"We are extremely excited about the addition of Nate Pomeday to our staff," Pitino said. "He has a wealth of knowledge and experience that will help us continue to grow as a basketball program."

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/073014aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Standout guard?

I enjoy reading flowery press releases, and how they have a tendency to overstate things.

"He was a standout guard for the Wildcats."

So much so that I've been following the Big Ten in earnest for 30+ years and I barely remember his name, or who he played for. Scored 107 points in 2 seasons at Northwestern, for an average of 2.7 ppg. Outstanding? Former Big Ten player would have sufficed.

Standout guards at Northwestern? The names Patrick Baldwin (a current assistant at NW) and Juice Thompson immediately come to mind.

I guess that's what Josh Adel gets for trying to schedule Louisville... :cool:

Does anyone know the real story? 'Re-shuffling of duties' smells like a cover.

is the DOB a step up or down from assistant coach or assistant to the head coach as thats Josh's new title.

I always thought DOB was a young up coaches first step into a program, schedule hotels, plan trips etc?

I guess that's what Josh Adel gets for trying to schedule Louisville... :cool:

Does anyone know the real story? 'Re-shuffling of duties' smells like a cover.

I wouldn't go too crazy with your imagination. Remember, Josh Adel was hired to be the video coordinator last year; he was only raised up to DBO because our would-be DBO left a few weeks after we hired him, for what he thought was an assistant coaching job (clear step up) at FIU, eventually ending up at Louisville.

To grab an experienced Pac 12 assistant as DBO seems like a good "talent add" to the staff. I'm sure Adel wasn't "demoted" so much as reassigned. The only thing that's confusing is that I thought there were limits on the number and types of staff positions, to prevent abuse in recruiting. So it's surprising to hear the glib explanation that they just created a new position for Adel.

I wouldn't go too crazy with your imagination. Remember, Josh Adel was hired to be the video coordinator last year; he was only raised up to DBO because our would-be DBO left a few weeks after we hired him, for what he thought was an assistant coaching job (clear step up) at FIU, eventually ending up at Louisville.

To grab an experienced Pac 12 assistant as DBO seems like a good "talent add" to the staff. I'm sure Adel wasn't "demoted" so much as reassigned. The only thing that's confusing is that I thought there were limits on the number and types of staff positions, to prevent abuse in recruiting. So it's surprising to hear the glib explanation that they just created a new position for Adel.

Most staffs have the "assistant to the head coach" position. Tubby had Steve Goodson fill that role here and now at Texas Tech. Now, Pitino has Adel serve that role. Traditionally, that role would be considered a lesser role than the DoBO.

Pomeday seems like a definite nice add to the staff. To have a seasoned assistant coach on staff in the DoBO role is good. That role is usually designed to help with scheduling practice time, planning road trips, organizing the game schedule, summer camps, oversee the managers, etc.

As for limits, neither Pomeday or Adel in these current roles would be allowed on the floor to help "coach" during practices, neither can go on the road recruiting, and there are other limits, as well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>My family and I are pumped to be a part of the Golden Gopher Basketball Family. Very thankful, honored and excited about the future.</p>— Nate Pomeday (@coachpomeday) <a href="https://twitter.com/coachpomeday/statuses/494627126016872448">July 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

A friend of mine in Corvallis who has met and talked to him, says he is a good guy and has some valuable recruiting connections. Chicago AAU scene, overseas (Africa and Australia), and the Seattle area. The Craig Robinson era at Oregon State was defined by very good recruiting and horrible coaching, both in player development and game management. He should help us find some decent prospect to recruit.

I enjoy reading flowery press releases, and how they have a tendency to overstate things.

So much so that I've been following the Big Ten in earnest for 30+ years and I barely remember his name, or who he played for. Scored 107 points in 2 seasons at Northwestern, for an average of 2.7 ppg. Outstanding? Former Big Ten player would have sufficed.

Standout guards at Northwestern? The names Patrick Baldwin (a current assistant at NW) and Juice Thompson immediately come to mind.

I remember the name and not much else. He does have the college player profile of a guy who could have had a career game against us in the Tubby era, though. A lot of mediocre players were made into all B1G performers against us in those days.

He does have the college player profile of a guy who could have had a career game against us in the Tubby era, though. A lot of mediocre players were made into all B1G performers against us in those days.

What does this have to do with anything? What are you even talking about?

I remember the name and not much else. He does have the college player profile of a guy who could have had a career game against us in the Tubby era, though. A lot of mediocre players were made into all B1G performers against us in those days.
What does this have to do with anything? What are you even talking about?

Didn't see that coming at all.....

Completely warranted this time... Left field Tubby Bash..

Pomeday appeared in games for 3 seasons at Northwestern. He was a senior in 1998-99. Evan Eschmeyer was NU's top player then. Pomeday started 12 games as a sophomore and averaged 22 mins/gm on the season.

Here are some (edited by me) highlights/lowlights from his career from what appears to be a media release dated Jan. 19th of his senior season:

Wildcat Probable Starters

Pos. No. Name (height, weight, class, hometown) ppg rpg
F #33 Tavaras Hardy
C #42 Evan Eschmeyer
G #4 Julian Bonner
G #22 Sean Wink
G #24 David Newman

Off the bench ...G #31 Nate Pomeday (6-2, 201, Sr., Cedar Grove, Wis.) 1.6 0.7

In Memoriam
The Wildcats will wear a patch on the left corner of their shorts for the remainder of the season bearing the initials "D.P." The patch is in memory of Don Pomeday, father of senior guard Nate Pomeday, who passed away on December 9.

#31 Nate Pomeday - Reserve shooting guard ... Plays with a lot of heart and emotion ... One of the team's most vocal leaders ... Has hit at least one three pointer in four of the last nine games, all coming off the bench.

Wildcat Season Bests ("career" bests)
#31 Nate Pomeday
Rebounds: 6 vs. Md.-Eastern Shore (11/29/97)
3pt. FG: 4 five times,
last vs. Iowa (2/25/98)

Here's the link to my source: http://www.nusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/011999aaa.html

Pomeday may have been injured 4 days after this report as he only played 2 minutes in a 29 point win over Texas Pan American and doesn't appear to have played again. All in all a very tough senior season. He can probably relate to players who have their disappointments (best season as a sophomore, father passes away during his senior season , & then injured half way through his senior season).

Jitim Young is who I think of when referencing Northwestern standout guards.

File this one under the 'weird, but true' category for your friendly neighborhood Gopher Bandanna Guy, but I actually played against Coach Pomeday in high school (he went to Cedar Grove HS, I went to Random Lake). He may have played football against me as well, I don't recall if his lanky frame was on the gridiron or not.

Top Bottom