STrib: Gophers summer series: Mo Walker has a different kind of summer this year

The pass to Hoff vs. Indiana? Louisville game?

The one that stands out to me is the great game he had on the road vs. Iowa...

'Lawrence Westbrook and Travis Busch each scored 10 points as Minnesota rallied from an early 13-point deficit, then hung on to beat Iowa 52-49 on Thursday night'

Busch had a few great moments, no doubt, but once he was gone did you really spend a lot of time thinking, "I really wish Busch was still on the team..."?

I recall being really short handed the year after Travis left and missing him a lot. If not for overwhelming B1G basketball skills, at least for being a reliable and solid player who could have contributed if he stayed. I can't remember the details, but something didn't pan out with his scholarship. Maybe it was the Royce fiasco.

I recall being really short handed the year after Travis left and missing him a lot. If not for overwhelming B1G basketball skills, at least for being a reliable and solid player who could have contributed if he stayed. I can't remember the details, but something didn't pan out with his scholarship. Maybe it was the Royce fiasco.

Yes! I do recall saying I wish we had Travis to come off the bench instead of waiting for the next Royce White YouTube video... J-Strings, The truth about Tubby Smith....

He was a walk on and given a scholarship for one year because we didn't have a full roster. Similar to the Shell situation.

He was a walk on and given a scholarship for one year because we didn't have a full roster. Similar to the Shell situation.

Travis was actually a D1 caliper player... big difference there.

Travis was actually a D1 caliper player... big difference there.

Yeah not saying it was exactly the same. I'm just comparing the fact that Busch came in as a walkon, not a scholarship player, and was given a one year scholarship because we had one left over that would have gone unused otherwise (unless I'm remembering wrong, which is possible). He thought he played well enough to be rewarded with a scholarship the following season, but Tubby evidently felt it would go to better use if he offered someone else, so Busch left. That's what I remember, anyway.

Yeah not saying it was exactly the same. I'm just comparing the fact that Busch came in as a walkon, not a scholarship player, and was given a one year scholarship because we had one left over that would have gone unused otherwise (unless I'm remembering wrong, which is possible). He thought he played well enough to be rewarded with a scholarship the following season, but Tubby evidently felt it would go to better use if he offered someone else, so Busch left. That's what I remember, anyway.

My memory too, but I do remember being short handed the next year, too. I think he said something to the effect "There comes a point where you have to stop taking money from your parents," in regard to not getting a scholarship that last year and choosing to move on.

Busch never put up a ton of stats but he was tough, would take a charge, and rarely made mistakes, and he would be someone you would want with you in a dark alley. Sometimes those things affect a whole team. I never understimate toughness.

Top Bottom