STrib: Gophers summer series: Mo Walker has a different kind of summer this year

Jon

Reaction score
"There's no reason he shouldn't be one of the best big men in the league if not a first-team All Big Ten guy next year," assistant Dan McHale said. "But it's up to him. He's too nice of a guy. He's too nice off the court. He needs to show that mean streak, and he knows it."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/269237431.html

"There's no reason he shouldn't be one of the best big men in the league if not a first-team All Big Ten guy next year," assistant Dan McHale said. "But it's up to him. He's too nice of a guy. He's too nice off the court. He needs to show that mean streak, and he knows it."

So if Elliot is the better defender and Mo is the better scorer; I am thinking Elliot will be pared with Martin who seems like he will score more at pf; while mo might be pared more with Diedhiou since Mo can score and Diedhiou sounds like he can rebound and defend at pf... Thoughts?

So if Elliot is the better defender and Mo is the better scorer; I am thinking Elliot will be pared with Martin who seems like he will score more at pf; while mo might be pared more with Diedhiou since Mo can score and Diedhiou sounds like he can rebound and defend at pf... Thoughts?

Where is Joey in your scenerio?

So set him up in off-campus housing with Russ Archambault. He can take him on a few drive-bys and toughen him up.

Where is Joey in your scenerio?

These guys like King more...

"The Gophers have quite a few power forwards (or guys capable of playing it) on the roster, though no one is clearly a runaway favorite to play major minutes outside of Joey King. It’s almost a forgone conclusion that one of Gaston Diedhiou and Bakary Konate will redshirt, but that seems unlikely for Martin. Expect him to see some time as a backup this year and a regular in the rotation at the four position this winter. "
http://minnesota.247sports.com/Article/Signee-Spotlight-Josh-Martin-29873728

Incorrect.

King only started 15 games last year on a team with no pf and that was only because Oto went down...

Now we have really 5 guys ahead of King for playing time at pf; EE, Mo, Martin, Bakary , and Gaston...
I see Gaston, Martin and Mo getting time at pf <> maybe a redshirt for Bakary but I think he plays <> maybe King gets some time at sf... Since we will have more fouls with our depth I think we could play EE and Mo together some...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/minn/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/stats/season_stats.pdf

King only started 15 games last year on a team with no pf and that was only because Oto went down...

Now we have really 5 guys ahead of King for playing time at pf; EE, Mo, Martin, Bakary , and Gaston...
I see Gaston, Martin and Mo getting time at pf <> maybe a redshirt for Bakary but I think he plays <> maybe King gets some time at sf... Since we will have more fouls with our depth I think we could play EE and Mo together some...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/minn/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/stats/season_stats.pdf

Mo and EE play Center, so that eliminates two guys, King and Martin seem like two different players who will compliment each other, in the sense that EE and Mo compliment each other. As for Gaston, nobody knows a thing about him, all we've heard from the staff is he's raw on offense and he's good on defense. Buggs is Buggs, he might see sometime at the 3 as well. King is the only guy who shows some sort of track record of putting the ball in the hoop on offense so if you think he's going to ride the pine than you're out of your mind

You are out of your mind if you think EE and Mo will see any time together. That's a Tubby move. Richard would rather play 4 guards than play two centers together. As much as I have been critical with Joey for his defense and rebounding, he is a good offense threat. Gaston, at this point, is a total wildcard. He will be behind the eightball, because he has to learn a brand new offense and defense, something that Joey already knows. Martin is going to get playing time, due to the fact we don't have another PF on the roster with his skillset, but the chances of him starting early in the season are very low. He has to learn the system as well. Joey does have his shortcomings on D, but he is more than capable offensively.

Why do people think Josh Martin can just come in and play big minutes as a freshman? I figured it was well known the kid was a project. He has to become a more well rounded player before we can even think about him getting serious minutes on this team. Joey will start and is the perfect stretch 4 in Pitino's offense.

It's hard to believe you are serious. Are you?

Since we will have more fouls with our depth I think we could play EE and Mo together some...

Have you not been following along? Impossible in Richard's system!

Why do people think Josh Martin can just come in and play big minutes as a freshman? I figured it was well known the kid was a project. He has to become a more well rounded player before we can even think about him getting serious minutes on this team. Joey will start and is the perfect stretch 4 in Pitino's offense.

Well, we need someone to back up Joey. Buggs has had one good game in his career and is not very good defensively. Gaston is probably more raw than Martin at this point. Martin provides something we didn't have last year at the 4, rebounding. Joey, Oto, and Buggs were all below average rebounders last season. Martin led the state of Washington in rebounding, and it's a skill that usually translates, even when you move up a level in competition. As with all freshmen, their will be an adjustment period. We are going to need him in the Louisville game. I don't have alot of faith that Joey will be able to guard Harrell.

My impressions of Jon have now been confirmed.

That makes a lot more sense now.

compliment King and Martin seem like two different players who will compliment each other, in the sense that EE and Mo compliment each other. As for Gaston, nobody knows a thing about him, all we've heard from the staff is he's raw on offense and he's good on defense. Buggs is Buggs, he might see sometime at the 3 as well. King is the only guy who shows some sort of track record of putting the ball in the hoop on offense so if you think he's going to ride the pine than you're out of your mind

As in, "Hey Joey you're pretty good." "Thanks for the compliment. So are you."

You are very confused.

This is the most confusing post I've ever read...

Well, we need someone to back up Joey. Buggs has had one good game in his career and is not very good defensively. Gaston is probably more raw than Martin at this point. Martin provides something we didn't have last year at the 4, rebounding. Joey, Oto, and Buggs were all below average rebounders last season. Martin led the state of Washington in rebounding, and it's a skill that usually translates, even when you move up a level in competition. As with all freshmen, their will be an adjustment period. We are going to need him in the Louisville game. I don't have alot of faith that Joey will be able to guard Harrell.

+1

I'm never excited to see Joey on the court, but he just keeps scrapping and surprising and I expect him to continue to be a strong contributor.

I'm never excited to see Joey on the court, but he just keeps scrapping and surprising and I expect him to continue to be a strong contributor.
exactly, and with competition I expect him to improve. He is a really competitive kid. I believe the reports were that he had gained 15-20 lbs, which could help him inside.

I have about zero hope Buggs will contribute, and I hope that is really wrong, but most of these guys will improve every year. So far this staff seems great about pushing kids to improve and giving them honest, positive feedback.

the 4 and 5

I am thinking Elliot the better rebounder and defender starts with Joey king who can hit from the outside and is not a good rebounder or defender. I say Mo and Martin play together as from all comments it appears Martin is a good rebounder but raw offensively so he could help Mo with the rebounding. If MO improves as a rebounder you could see him play with Joey on offense they would work well inside outside just horrible together on defense though. I doubt Diedhiou plays significant minutes.

I am thinking Elliot the better rebounder and defender starts with Joey king who can hit from the outside and is not a good rebounder or defender. I say Mo and Martin play together as from all comments it appears Martin is a good rebounder but raw offensively so he could help Mo with the rebounding. If MO improves as a rebounder you could see him play with Joey on offense they would work well inside outside just horrible together on defense though. I doubt Diedhiou plays significant minutes.

+1

Gophers will need tons of minutes form Big Mo and EE in the frontcourt. Would expect they'll be in great shape, and they'll both need to stay out of foul trouble.

Gophers will need tons of minutes form Big Mo and EE in the frontcourt. Would expect they'll be in great shape, and they'll both need to stay out of foul trouble.

I think Gophers' chances of having a great year (definition: Sweet 16 or better) hinge on Mo having a monster year and becoming a NBA prospect and All-Big Ten. I think he can do it.

PS King will be a valued player for the next two years but won't be appreciated until he is gone.

Mo isn't athletic enough to be drafted. Not saying he couldn't improve and make a summer league roster. I agree on King, similar to Travis Busch, that he does lots of positive things that people forget when he cant make one athletic play. Buggs has the most potential but probably has a low probabilty of ever reaching it. With so few returning low post scorers Mo could be on of the best in the conference, but I just don't see him improving enough on defense or rebounding to make an all-conference team. That and he may not even start.

I think Gophers' chances of having a great year (definition: Sweet 16 or better) hinge on Mo having a monster year and becoming a NBA prospect and All-Big Ten. I think he can do it.

PS King will be a valued player for the next two years but won't be appreciated until he is gone.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, missed Travis Busch when he transferred.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, missed Travis Busch when he transferred.

The pass to Hoff vs. Indiana? Louisville game?

The one that stands out to me is the great game he had on the road vs. Iowa...

'Lawrence Westbrook and Travis Busch each scored 10 points as Minnesota rallied from an early 13-point deficit, then hung on to beat Iowa 52-49 on Thursday night'

Top Bottom