David Cobb on UW: Once we win, we'll go over there & we'll chop down their goal post

BleedGopher

Reaction score
David Cobb on UW: Once we win, we'll go over there & we'll chop down their goal post

per Wisconsin State Journal:

The Minnesota Gophers football program clearly has an axe to grind with the University of Wisconsin. A Paul Bunyan-sized axe.

First, they weren't very happy last season to watch the Badgers celebrate their 10th straight victory in the long-standing rivalry. And they were even less happy about the fact UW took its victory lap at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis to both goal posts at the end of a frigid November day.

"That didn't sit well with us," Cobb, a senior running back, said during Big Ten football media days at the Chicago Hilton when he brought up plans for the Gophers' victory celebration "when" they win Nov. 29 at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison. "Once we win, we'll go over there and we'll chop down their goal post."

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/article_0d218e60-1696-11e4-a19d-0019bb2963f4.html

Go Gophers!!

I'd rather we not give them any bulletin board material, especially since it's a home game for them. Hope he's right though!

What for? Chopping down the stupid goal posts is a "taunt" something the Badgers do and it is juvenile. Gophers never really have done anything like that, at least not that I can remember. How about we sprint over take the Axe and then go celebrate with Gopher fans and ignore the Badgers players completely, then parade around Camp Randall with it until every player get's to hold it and show it off to the Red Horde. I would rather see the Gophers do our own thing than copy there BS. Let the cheese smurfs chop.
It would burn them just as much to put the Badger players on ignore as it would to chop.

What for? Chopping down the stupid goal posts is a "taunt" something the Badgers do and it is juvenile. Gophers never really have done anything like that, at least not that I can remember. How about we sprint over take the Axe and then go celebrate with Gopher fans and ignore the Badgers players completely, then parade around Camp Randall with it until every player get's to hold it and show it off to the Red Horde. I would rather see the Gophers do our own thing than copy there BS. Let the cheese smurfs chop.
It would burn them just as much to put the Badger players on ignore as it would to chop.
I know it's been a while but the Gophers chop down the goal posts as well when beating UW.

I'm glad our players are highly motivated to get the axe back. Whether or not they should be saying things like this at media days is up for debate. Personally I'm not a fan, especially since we've lost 10 straight. Hopefully they walk the walk in November!

This is exactly how I come into every season as a fan. I believe we are going to be National Champions and go undefeated. All you people trying set "realistic" expectations have already lost. Cobb is telling it like it is, 12-0. Go Gophers!

10 straight losses and we still lead the boarder series 59–56–8. theres no one on the staff who was there in 2003. time for a win and new wrinkle to the post celebration

It's been 20 years since we've won the Axe in Madison, 30 years since we've been able to grab it from behind their bench. Best case scenario for a win is that the Badgers are guaranteed a spot in Indy when we play them. I'm sure they'll remember the post game from last year and be plenty motivated even without our players yapping about what they're going do when they win the Axe.

10 straight losses and we still lead the boarder series 59–56–8. theres no one on the staff who was there in 2003. time for a win and new wrinkle to the post celebration

Mike Sherels was a player on that team, I think it was his redshirt year

How about this - instead of "pretend" chopping down the goalposts - do it for real. Physically tear down the freakin' goalposts, pick them up and walk away. The Badger fans will be too drunk to do anything about it.

I don't have a problem with him saying it. Never really had a problem with our players putting out "bulletin board material." I'd say its okay when you're the underdog.

58-57-8 according to Gophersports.com. If the Badgers win this year they will tie the all time series.

Gophers chop too when they win there just hasn't been much opportunity, but it's part of the deal for the winning team. If the players don't like it they should win the game, otherwise take your medicine.

Not a fan of the comment, but the players should believe they will win the game.

It's been 20 years since we've won the Axe in Madison, 30 years since we've been able to grab it from behind their bench. Best case scenario for a win is that the Badgers are guaranteed a spot in Indy when we play them. I'm sure they'll remember the post game from last year and be plenty motivated even without our players yapping about what they're going do when they win the Axe.

Just a question - have you successfully gotten anyone to fall for your ruse that you're a Gopher fan?

Just a question - have you successfully gotten anyone to fall for your ruse that you're a Gopher fan?

There's a reason that rational conversations are nearly impossible on this board - as soon as someone posts something against the pollyanna chorus, they get called out as a troll or not a fan. Nelson leaves the team? Leidner is better anyway! When I joined the board (after lurking for years), you weren't allowed to say anything bad about Brewster. There's so much wishful thinking and bad analysis/stats going on, forgive me if I desire a more reality-based examination of the team. From reading your posts, you'd think half the posters here are Badger or Hawkeye trolls. I've been following the Gophers since I attended graduate school in 1990, I don't have to defend myself to you. I'm not saying anything in this thread that half a dozen (or more) people aren't saying.

as soon as someone posts something against the pollyanna chorus, they get called out as a troll or not a fan

No, when people post almost exclusively in Becky threads and always to the compliment of Becky and its players, they get rightfully and accurately called out as the trolls they are. You are not a fan of the Gophers. Stop the ruse.

From reading your posts, you'd think half the posters here are Badger or Hawkeye trolls.

Nope, just you.

I've been following the Gophers since I attended graduate school in 1990.

Sure you have. I also noticed that you left out where you attended graduate school. How convenient.

Top Bottom