STrib: Gophers updates: Maxx Williams, Kirkwood, Elmore, Gibson, Poock, Krizancic etc

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

* TE Maxx Williams (knee) is back to full speed. In fact, quarterback Mitch Leidner said Williams and fellow tight end Duke Anyanwu have posted running speeds as quick as anybody on the team, including the wide receivers and defensive backs. Scary.

* Kill said incoming freshmen tight ends Gaelin Elmore and Jerry Gibson are both candidates to play immediately at the H-back position. Mike Henry played there last year at 5-11, 230 pounds. Elmore is 6-6, 260 pounds, and Gibson is 6-3, 230. They’ll probably start out at tight end – Gibson actually might line up at wide receiver – but the Gophers will look for ways to get them on the field, too.

* Melvin Holland Jr. is the most advanced of the incoming freshmen receivers, Leidner said.

* LB Cody Poock had surgery to repair a torn ACL in March, but believe it or not, Kill said the coaches are considering clearing him for practice. Kill said a decision will be made Thursday.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/269073201.html

Go Gophers!!

More proof Star Tribune is the go to source for Gopher Football.

* TE Maxx Williams (knee) is back to full speed. In fact, quarterback Mitch Leidner said Williams and fellow tight end Duke Anyanwu have posted running speeds as quick as anybody on the team, including the wide receivers and defensive backs. Scary.

Awesome.

Not from the Strib,but Kill told Gaard yesterday that Christenson is ready to go and is being moved to guard.

This is the most important part of the article:

* Kill injured an hamstring doing up-downs (a conditioning drill) about 10 days ago and is walking with a limp. But as for his epilepsy, things sound great.
“I trained hard in the offseason, too,” he said. “I’ve done a lot of walking. I dropped about 12-13 pounds, quit drinking Coke and Diet Coke. I’m drinking water. All the things that can help bring on [seizure] situations, I’ve made sure I addressed.”

ummm

Poock is going to be cleared for practice 5 months removed from an ACL????

What the hell is going on here?

Coach Kill looks a thousand times better than he did a year ago.

per Joe:

* Kill said incoming freshmen tight ends Gaelin Elmore and Jerry Gibson are both candidates to play immediately at the H-back position. Mike Henry played there last year at 5-11, 230 pounds. Elmore is 6-6, 260 pounds, and Gibson is 6-3, 230. They’ll probably start out at tight end – Gibson actually might line up at wide receiver – but the Gophers will look for ways to get them on the field, too.

* Melvin Holland Jr. is the most advanced of the incoming freshmen receivers, Leidner said.

* LB Cody Poock had surgery to repair a torn ACL in March, but believe it or not, Kill said the coaches are considering clearing him for practice. Kill said a decision will be made Thursday.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/269073201.html

Go Gophers!!

Scary in a good way or in a bad way? Either this means our TEs have elite speed or we have a slow secondary...

I think Leidner meant that Williams and Anyanwu are scary fast for there size.

Scary in a good way or in a bad way? Either this means our TEs have elite speed or we have a slow secondary...
I'm pretty sure that Leidner meant Williams and Anyanwu are legitimately fast for guys that are 6-4 to 6-5 and way 250 pounds. The impression I get is these two will be a match up problem in the seam for any opponent because they can get seperation with there speed. It will be up to Mitch to put the ball on them and with good timing to take advantage of that.
Sounded like from the Sports Huddle on Saturday that coach Kill thinks that Gibson or Elmore can both line up outside and take snaps at the wide receiver spots and create additional match up problems. Poock must have healed quickly, but he is still pushing it.

I vote G Elmore to defensive end. I know kids want the ball in there hands, but I for one hope, that Elmore asks to line up at defensive end and compete there in fall camp. I could easily see Elmore having Michael Strahan like ability in pass rushing and playing the defensive line. There is enough talent that he could develop in to that type of player. Elite defenisve ends are hard to come by Elmore he is a kid that has natural tools, those kind of strong hands and long arms and strength you are born with, that you like to see in elite pass rushers. He Elmore would have a much stronger chance in the two deeps and playing a lot if he asked to play defensive end. There is a lot of potential future for high level defensive ends to move through the system quickly and develop quicker for the NFL. He probably sees guys like Jimmy Grahm and Gronkowski and thinks he can be like that but there are few that are similar athletes that can do that. I bet if Elmore jumped to defensive end he would be in the rotation of eight immediately and be hard for the offensive line to defend. Speed, size and elusiveness, some guys have instinct, and Elmore he has it, and could be a really good defensive end if he put his mind to it. Sacking the quarterback for a huge loss has just as big an impact on a game as catching a long pass. I'm sure Elmore could compete at tight end but could he have elite potential their? Besides where would you rather play on the team, the unit that has a chance to be dominant with more playmakers or just good? On the Gophers I would want to be on the defensive side of the ball.

I've said it before, and will again... Anyanwu will be a factor this year. He was awesome this Spring.

ummm

This caught my eye immediately. That would be an insane recovery. I know not all knee issues are the same, but he would have recovered in "about" half the time of Adrian Peterson............

Coach Kill looks a thousand times better than he did a year ago.

Good to hear. I haven't seen a pic, but I thought he looked a little pudgier last year than he did the year before, but I thought maybe that had something to do with changes in his meds, which can screw up a person's weight. Glad to hear he is taking precautions and feeling better!

Sounds like the team is pumped.

I've said it before, and will again... Anyanwu will be a factor this year. He was awesome this Spring.

Watching him run the hurdles in HS was one of the odder athletic sights I've seen.
6'4" 240 lbs and gracefully running over the high hurdles faster than most guys in the meet. If he can catch and has any open field running skill, he's going to be impressive.

@RedditCFB: Ever wonder what a year of college football and a 6000 cal a day diet will do to you here's a pic of @alex_mayes76 http://t.co/jOPcRtLLAi

Watching him run the hurdles in HS was one of the odder athletic sights I've seen.
6'4" 240 lbs and gracefully running over the high hurdles faster than most guys in the meet. If he can catch and has any open field running skill, he's going to be impressive.

Who is this cat? I do not recall the name/position/class?

You can't under state the importance of getting guys into the right position. We will just have to trust the coaching staff. If I remember correctly JJ Watt was being recruited primarily as a TE. His move to DE worked out OK.

Elmore and Gibson might move around a lot in fall camp, and their permanent position might be dictated by how their bodies develop over the next year or two.

I wonder if they will line up Duke and Williams on the field at the same time. Those two guys with Gibson as an H back, and Berkley Edwards in the slot would create a lot of mismatches for defenses.

As far as Cody P goes, I am no collegiate athlete, but I can tell you I've torn my ACL twice and it would be a miracle if he were to come back in time for the Big 10 season. It is true that it takes a full year to get back to normal. Mentally, he won't trust his knee to hold up, and he could end up getting injured again. Take a medical redshirt, and come back stronger next year.

You can't under state the importance of getting guys into the right position. We will just have to trust the coaching staff. If I remember correctly JJ Watt was being recruited primarily as a TE. His move to DE worked out OK.

Elmore and Gibson might move around a lot in fall camp, and their permanent position might be dictated by how their bodies develop over the next year or two.

I wonder if they will line up Duke and Williams on the field at the same time. Those two guys with Gibson as an H back, and Berkley Edwards in the slot would create a lot of mismatches for defenses.

As far as Cody P goes, I am no collegiate athlete, but I can tell you I've torn my ACL twice and it would be a miracle if he were to come back in time for the Big 10 season. It is true that it takes a full year to get back to normal. Mentally, he won't trust his knee to hold up, and he could end up getting injured again. Take a medical redshirt, and come back stronger next year.

We are hurting at LB thought aren't we? Is that a sign that we are feeling the pressure to play a half healthy Cody P rather than red-shirting him for an extra year?

size and speed

I thought the same thing. Although say you have some fast tight ends with 4.6 speed, if they are running with guys who run 4.45 to 4.7 (wr to safety), it's going to look similar.

Our DB depth is crazy when someone like D. Wells may not start, someone who stood out a couple years ago. In years past if even injured you would pencil someone like him in. Anyone else think he made a better safety than corner?

Who is this cat? I do not recall the name/position/class?

Duke Anyanwu.
Ran a 15.94 in the 110 high hurdles his senior year in his final meet, got 11th at sections though he outweighed most of his competitors by maybe 80-100 lbs.

ummm

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sounds like <a href="https://twitter.com/codyallenpoock">@codyallenpoock</a> will be out there when the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> start fall camp tomorrow. More details here ($) <a href="https://t.co/MLbYjtKtKB">https://t.co/MLbYjtKtKB</a></p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/494952877232648193">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's one hell of a recovery.

We are hurting at LB thought aren't we? Is that a sign that we are feeling the pressure to play a half healthy Cody P rather than red-shirting him for an extra year?

Is he eligible to redshirt? Not sure on the rules with a guy coming from JC. Anyway, I am really looking forward to yelling: "Poooooooooooooock!"

Yes, Poock can redshirt.

Keep in mind Kill said Poock would be doing passing shells and non-contact drills if (when) he participates in fall camp, so it's not like he'll be out there tackling, scrimmaging, and taking hits on his knee. It's still impressive though.

Top Bottom