STrib: Gophers basketball summer series: Daquein McNeil "could take the biggest jump"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
STrib: Gophers basketball summer series: Daquein McNeil "could take the biggest jump"

per the STrib:

The improvement to this point is great enough to signal that Morris' starting spot is far from locked down. Regardless of what results from the battle of the lineup opening, the Gophers believe this could be a breakout season for McNeil.

"He's worked hard to where it's definitely going to be a challenge [for Morris]," McHale said. "He showed flashes last year ... He's the type of guy that could take the biggest jump."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/269071021.html

Go Gophers!!

Based on all of these summer articles, it sounds like Shaun Brown could be our team MVP this year if all of these body-transformations are indeed accurate.

Based on all of these summer articles, it sounds like Shaun Brown could be our team MVP this year if all of these body-transformations are indeed accurate.

I question some of the numbers.. for McNeil it says lost some weight, gained muscle... sounds about right.

Regardless of who starts at the three between McNeil and Morris, it sounds like we will be getting solid play at the wing.

You do know that a pound of fat weighs less than a pound of muscle right ????

Huh? Maybe I'm missing the joke.. so I will fall for it. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks. So a pound of fat weights 1 pound, period, same for muscle. NOW, muscle is more dense than fat, so the same cubic inch of muscle will weigh more than a cubic inch of fat. But a pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat.

You do know that a pound of fat weighs less than a pound of muscle right ????

Huh? Maybe I'm missing the joke.. so I will fall for it. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks. So a pound of fat weights 1 pound, period, same for muscle. NOW, muscle is more dense than fat, so the same cubic inch of muscle will weigh more than a cubic inch of fat. But a pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat.

Well, one of you two is missing the point.:cool02:

It's good to hear that McNeil is looking good. Last season his athleticism really stood out to me, especially on a couple of rebounds where he got up and snagged boards over taller guys. It was the type of rebound we would see from Trevor (or very occasionally, Rodney), but of which we saw very few of last season. His willingness to pick up ball handlers 3/4 or 1/2 court and harass them was also something only lil Dre was really capable of last year.

That said, I am still concerned about what happens if someone has a minor injury...and then someone else gets in foul trouble. All of a sudden we have 3 guys to play 3 spots OR we have to change our style of play.

It's good to hear that McNeil is looking good. Last season his athleticism really stood out to me, especially on a couple of rebounds where he got up and snagged boards over taller guys. It was the type of rebound we would see from Trevor (or very occasionally, Rodney), but of which we saw very few of last season. His willingness to pick up ball handlers 3/4 or 1/2 court and harass them was also something only lil Dre was really capable of last year.

That said, I am still concerned about what happens if someone has a minor injury...and then someone else gets in foul trouble. All of a sudden we have 3 guys to play 3 spots OR we have to change our style of play.

Agree on the athleticism part. Someone made the Joe Coleman comparison and at first blush I discarded, but he is kind of like him. I feel like Joe was a better finisher "through" traffic via strength, while McNeil can finish "IN" traffic via athleticism, however I feel/remember Joe being a better finisher at the rim. The article does referencing McNeil dunking more now, which I think is what he lacked last year the explosiveness/strength to finish THROUGH contact at the rim.

Top Bottom