Potential Addittional 2015 Recruits

Killjoy

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of of recruits that have yet to verbal any school and also have a strong interest in Minnesota. To do this I went to 247 Sports site. There I then went to the Football Targets for Minnesota and searched for those players that had Minnesota in their top five. Here are the 12 players that met the above criteria:

John Kelly-Michigan, (Ath) 3 stars 85, Prediction 65%, unofficially visits 8-9-14

Drayton Carlberg -Minnesota, (OT) 3 stars 86, Prediction 88%

Quinn Oseland-Illinois, (OT) 3 stars 87, Prediction 62%

McKinley Whitfield-Oklahoma, (Ath), 3 stars 88, Prediction 33%, officially visits 10-17-14

Willie Sykes-Texas, (CB), 3 stars 85, Prediction 70%, officially visits 9-19-14

Colton Beebe-Kansas, (ILB/FB), na, Prediction 100%, camp 6-22-14

Bradrick Shaw-Alabama, (RB), na, Prediction 0%

Almonzo Brown-Georgia, (WR), 3 stars 84, Prediction 100%, officially visits 10-17-14

Alex Barnes-Kansas, (RB/S), 3 stars 86, Prediction 100%, unofficially visited 7-19-14

Antonio Shenault-Illinois, (CB), 3 stars 81, Prediction 100%, U visit 7-25-14

Charles Rogers-Iowa C.C., (CB/S), 3 stars 85, Prediction 71%

James Johannsson-North Dakota, (RB), na, Prediction 100%

The prediction percentage comes from 247 Sports' Crystal Ball. It is a consensus from a panel of so called "experts". I am not sure exactly how it works but hopefully it a least gives the direction where the recruit may be leaning at this time. The one thing that I did glean from this list is that defensive backs are now their number one target after having recruited three offensive linemen.

Here is a link to their site:
http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Targets

I expect to hear news of a Carlberg commit to Oregon sometime soon. I hope I'm wrong.

I expect to hear news of a Carlberg commit to Oregon sometime soon. I hope I'm wrong.

I had thought I'd read somewhere that Oregon was no longer recruiting Carlberg, or at least not hard. Regardless, the ducks have commits from 2 guards, and 3 tackles. Unless they're offering him on defense I don't think he's going there.

Drayton C reminds me a lot of the FR recruitment.
FR wanted an fsu offer, when he did not get it, he found the Hogs to say he is an SEC player. It is his choice, but he never wanted to come here. Limegrover has obviously worked hard to get DC, if he is still chasing offers when his number one choice is full, it means we are not number 2,3,4 or pick your number.
It is okay, this staff recognizes guys who can become good linemen. It will just take some of them an extra year to get there.
Additionally, any kid who has visited in the summer and not committed is not 100% or 88% for that matter.
So I would take the 100% on Barnes, Beebe or any of the other uncommitted guys as no more than 50%.
Beebe in particular seems to want offers from other schools which by definition means he is not sold on us

He wanted an fsu offer, when he did not get it, he found the Hogs to say he is an SEC player.

Huh? He most definitely had an FSU offer, and could've attended there had he wanted to - another factor that makes the Arkansas pick so puzzling.

Word on the street was that FR's FSU offer was no longer on the table in January...

I just don't think that a kid officially isn't coming here just because he wants to visit a good program. Matt Jessen Howard and Matt Prehm, probably the 2 most knowledgable guys regarding Carlberg's recruitment still have their CBs to Minnesota. Don't you think it is logical that he would want to make visits to the schools that are recruiting him before he makes a decision? I wouldn't expect him commit here on the spot when he has 13 BCS offers but that doesn't mean he won't end up eventually. He will be making a decision before his season starts so he is not going to drag on his recruitment like Ragnow. His family and relatives love the gophers and want him to become one.

Officially it's been at RB, but he probably ends up at DB.

I hope so. If he is good enough for MSU's no fly zone than he is good enough for me. Very similar to Donovahn Jones and Nate Wozniak's recruitment where we can beat out other teams because of the position we are offering the recruit.

Drayton said he would visit Stanford and Cal along with Oregon when he makes his west coast visit but it seems he did not end up visiting those 2 schools which is good to see.

Drayton said he would visit Stanford and Cal along with Oregon when he makes his west coast visit but it seems he did not end up visiting those 2 schools which is good to see.

Is he already home? My understanding is that he visits Oregon first, then makes his way south. No doubt ends up at Disney!! Well, maybe not Disney.

Is he already home? My understanding is that he visits Oregon first, then makes his way south. No doubt ends up at Disney!! Well, maybe not Disney.
He has not posted anything on his twitter/instragram about Stanford or Cal unlike all of his other visits he has taken. You connect the dots.<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Prehmmr247">@Prehmmr247</a> I'll be visiting on monday. We are going to the coast for a day.</p>— Big Dray #⃣7⃣5⃣ (@Bigdballa14) <a href="https://twitter.com/Bigdballa14/statuses/493080096744300544">July 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>About to board! Coming home!</p>— Big Dray #⃣7⃣5⃣ (@Bigdballa14) <a href="https://twitter.com/Bigdballa14/statuses/494293453954494464">July 30, 2014</a></blockquote>

He has not posted anything on his twitter/instragram about Stanford or Cal unlike all of his other visits he has taken. You connect the dots.<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Prehmmr247">@Prehmmr247</a> I'll be visiting on monday. We are going to the coast for a day.</p>— Big Dray #⃣7⃣5⃣ (@Bigdballa14) <a href="https://twitter.com/Bigdballa14/statuses/493080096744300544">July 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>About to board! Coming home!</p>— Big Dray #⃣7⃣5⃣ (@Bigdballa14) <a href="https://twitter.com/Bigdballa14/statuses/494293453954494464">July 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/QUOTE

Oh, I don't follow his twitter. I obviously misinterpreted something. I'm pretty sure I read in the"everything about 2015" thread that was the plan. May have been a few pages back.
I will start following his twitter to keep up though. Any advice on which 17-18 year old kids I should follow on the twitter?

Yeah, that was the plan but fortunately for us he changed his mind. John Kelly is a good follow. He retweets a lot of gopher stuff.

Sounds like he loved it, but they're full at OL, as is MSU. Both want him now as DL according to Burns. I really think he's gone. It feels like local guys who want to be Gophers commit earlier than this & when they string us along, it's because they're waiting for the comittable offer they really want. The BBQ is a way to see who's serious about the Gophers & Carlberg didn't make it. That says a lot imo.

Is John Kelly being recruited as a RB or DB?

DB. He's a Minnesota kid who moved to Michigan, is coming on an official with his parents & is best friends with recent commit Ray Buford. I think this one is in the bag.

DB. He's a Minnesota kid who moved to Michigan, is coming on an official with his parents & is best friends with recent commit Ray Buford. I think this one is in the bag.

So he visiting august 9th AND taking an official? Very nice to hear. Him, Carlberg and Oseland are my top 3 realistic targets.

Top Bottom