FSN: Gophers positional preview: Defensive line

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Best position battle: While Amaefula, Botticelli and Cockran are all carryovers from last year's front four, Ekpe is the one new addition to the starting defensive line. However, there's a chance someone else could emerge from fall camp as the starting defensive tackle alongside Botticelli.

Ndondo-Lay could be one player to keep an eye on when camp kicks off in August. The coaching staff raved in the spring about the Minneapolis native who transferred from Winona State. With several defensive linemen limited during spring ball, the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Ndondo-Lay made the most of his opportunity to impress the coaches. He had a sack and three tackles in Minnesota's spring game and could edge out Ekpe for the starting job.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/gophers-positional-preview-defensive-line-072514

Go Gophers!!

Has this writer brought up a true freshman besides Jeff Jones yet? It's almost a given that at least one of Richardson and Moore will play this year and be in the mix. It's just strange he hasn't mentioned guys like Holland, Gibson, Elmore, Richardson, and Moore because all or some of those guys figure to play this year.

Has this writer brought up a true freshman besides Jeff Jones yet? It's almost a given that at least one of Richardson and Moore will play this year and be in the mix. It's just strange he hasn't mentioned guys like Holland, Gibson, Elmore, Richardson, and Moore because all or some of those guys figure to play this year.

I'm also trying to figure out why this writer suggests Ndondo-Lay is pushing Ekpe for a starting spot. Ekpe has about 50 lbs on Ndondo-Lay and plays DT not DE. How spectacular would it be to trot out 3 guys around 250 on the D line in B1G play?

I'm also trying to figure out why this writer suggests Ndondo-Lay is pushing Ekpe for a starting spot. Ekpe has about 50 lbs on Ndondo-Lay and plays DT not DE. How spectacular would it be to trot out 3 guys around 250 on the D line in B1G play?

Ndondo-Lay had a great spring and spring game. Also the coaches seemed pretty excited about his performance and potential. Whether he truly is pushing Ekpe remains to be seen but Ndondo-Lay is a very interesting prospect. The coaches love competition and if Ndondo-Lay brings that to the position bring it on!

Ndondo-Lay had a great spring and spring game. Also the coaches seemed pretty excited about his performance and potential. Whether he truly is pushing Ekpe remains to be seen but Ndondo-Lay is a very interesting prospect. The coaches love competition and if Ndondo-Lay brings that to the position bring it on!

I knew all of that. My point is that Scott Ekpe and Ndondo-Lay don't even play the same position. And the writer is suggesting Ndondo-Lay could start in place of Ekpe. Resulting in a serious lack of size across the DL.

Ndondo-Lay has zero chance of surviving a B1G season at DT at 250 lbs.
I think I saw him there during the spring when we were low on bodies, but that is not his position on a good B1G team.

I knew all of that. My point is that Scott Ekpe and Ndondo-Lay don't even play the same position. And the writer is suggesting Ndondo-Lay could start in place of Ekpe. Resulting in a serious lack of size across the DL.

For what it is worth (Very likely very little), I vaguely remember something about him possibly being used as a speed rusher in certain situations. (possibly at DE?)

I would think if you write an article about the defensive line, you would know the 2 deep and offer thoughts on who might crack into the rotation. To leave the reader with merely those returning, and no insight except inserting one name is lame.

Ndondo Lay is a DE, not a DT. He could possibly beat out Keith and Hank Ekpe though in the 2 deeps.

You think Gibson and Elmore have a chance to play this year? At TE? We already have Maxx, Plsek, Goodger, Wozniak and Ayanwu.

If I have this right Leganis, Tims, Moore, Peppers, and Richardson are all DT. There was word Kill thinks Richardson will play as a Freshman.

You think Gibson and Elmore have a chance to play this year? At TE? We already have Maxx, Plsek, Goodger, Wozniak and Ayanwu.

Kill mentioned both yesterday on his show that they might be hard to keep off the field. He also said Gibson could be used in a bigger WR type role.

Of those guys you listed, Maxx is really the only proven weapon at TE. We need more playmakers and if true freshmen can provide it they will play.

If I have this right Leganis, Tims, Moore, Peppers, and Richardson are all DT. There was word Kill thinks Richardson will play as a Freshman.

Yep, judging from Kill's tone yesterday on the Sports Show, Richardson sounds like a lock to be in the DT rotation.

Top Bottom