Who from the Twin Cities Media, Rochester, Saint Cloud,

husker70

Reaction score
Will attend the Big 10 Kick Off in Chicago. Star Tribune, Pioneer Press, Channels 4,5,9,11, WCCO, KSTP, KFAN radio. Just who is going to Chicago to cover this?

I don't know which of your questionables will be there, but I heard that tinyarch is gonna give the Invocation. He has agreed to limit it to 2 hours.

I don't know which of your questionables will be there, but I heard that tinyarch is gonna give the Invocation. He has agreed to limit it to 2 hours.

Kfan is sending justin gaard and doing a 2 hour special sometime next week.
I'm sure the beat writers will be there too.

I will be willing to bet the Star Tribune will use an AP story. WCCO radio will just blather. KFAN with Gaard being there may do some cut ins. WCCO TV maybe do a minutes mention. KSTP may have some ESPN feed. But no one is going down there with a radio booth to do it live. Maybe Marcus or Joe will travel an cover it. It will be two days that will pass in Minnesota with no coverage of Gopher and Big 10 Football. And you know where Minnie Max and Joe Schmidt will be is trotting down to Mankato to let us know how Bridgewater looked that will take about 5 minutes of air time.

Will attend the Big 10 Kick Off in Chicago. Star Tribune, Pioneer Press, Channels 4,5,9,11, WCCO, KSTP, KFAN radio. Just who is going to Chicago to cover this?

Due to the changing landscape of Media as well as the budget cuts in the last few years, not everyone will attend. Only those outlets who directly cover the Gophers or have acquired the rights to broadcast games will most likely be there.

-Star Tribune
-Pioneer Press
-KFAN
-AM 1500

As a side note, network TV affiliates almost never attend a B1G media day. WCCO radio has no vested interest in the Gophers any longer, so don't expect them either.

Yeah - this cuts to the core of the problem when it comes to media coverage for the Gophers. Being in a major market, the Gophers represent a sort of 'training ground' for our media. The individuals that are placed on the beat, yearn to move up in their industry and thus will inevitably look down upon the program, knowing that professional sports coverage is the goal (I admit that performance has something to do with it as well...if the Gophers were consistently going to Rose Bowls, this might be different). In comparison, for towns like Iowa City or East Lansing this represents the pinnacle of their profession so they'll make a huge deal out of it. Reusse and Souhan would rather give celebratory hand-jobs to the all-star game because they think that will put them in the same category as the columnists from New York or Boston...the guys from Lincoln don't exactly have that problem.

BTN usually shows all of the coaches interview sessions live, then re-runs it at night, so I usually catch Kill's segment that way. The trick is trying to figure out when Kill will be on without having to sit through all of the other coaches who I don't give a bleep about. (on the plus side, I don't run the risk of vomiting if I turn on the TV and see Bielema's bloated corpse on screen.)

Due to the changing landscape of Media as well as the budget cuts in the last few years, not everyone will attend. Only those outlets who directly cover the Gophers or have acquired the rights to broadcast games will most likely be there.

-Star Tribune
-Pioneer Press
-KFAN
-AM 1500

As a side note, network TV affiliates almost never attend a B1G media day. WCCO radio has no vested interest in the Gophers any longer, so don't expect them either.

Pretty sure pio press has not sent beat writer in recent years. Strip and The Daily have. Daily may send two students.

Don't think Am 1500 will send anyone

Gaardzie has done some really nice stuff in past with head coach interviews

When St. Cloud, Duluth, roch, media cover this, we will have arrived....

When St. Cloud, Duluth, roch, media cover this, we will have arrived....

Seriously - you expect media outlets from St. Cloud, Duluth and Rochester to shell out the cash to send people to Chicago to cover an event like this? Outlets of that size are lucky if they have the staff and resources to cover their local beats, let along allocate resources to cover an event that will be covered by the wire services, MNN, etc.

Even the Twin Cities media outlets have to pick and choose what they cover. Let's face it - it's a lot cheaper to have a reporter and photographer, or a TV crew, drive to Mankato and file a story about the Vikes training camp.

If we go to rose bowl or are contenders for title, roch post bulletin would send a guy, maybe St. Cloud times,

Seriously - you expect media outlets from St. Cloud, Duluth and Rochester to shell out the cash to send people to Chicago to cover an event like this? Outlets of that size are lucky if they have the staff and resources to cover their local beats, let along allocate resources to cover an event that will be covered by the wire services, MNN, etc.

Even the Twin Cities media outlets have to pick and choose what they cover. Let's face it - it's a lot cheaper to have a reporter and photographer, or a TV crew, drive to Mankato and file a story about the Vikes training camp.

Media outlets from much smaller cities in other BT markets send people. A newspaper in a city of 30,000 in Iowa sends someone every year.

You can bet Cleveland, Akron, Toledo, Cincinnati, Columbus, Canton, Dayton, Youngstown will all send reporters, several will send TV and several will send remote radio to cover the Buckeyes and Big 10. You have Penn State covered by Pittsburg, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Scranton, Reading, Allen Town, Erie, Lancaster much the same as Ohio State. Above as stated in Iowa you will have probably 40 or more credentialed members, Nebraska I can only guess but lets put them 50. And we send maybe 10? No wonder there is no interest, coverage, or respect. Which comes first the only Division 1 school in the state winning the division or conference or the media providing stories and interest for the program. Its kind which came first the chicken or the egg. And don't tell me they can't afford it.

You can bet Cleveland, Akron, Toledo, Cincinnati, Columbus, Canton, Dayton, Youngstown will all send reporters, several will send TV and several will send remote radio to cover the Buckeyes and Big 10. You have Penn State covered by Pittsburg, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Scranton, Reading, Allen Town, Erie, Lancaster much the same as Ohio State. Above as stated in Iowa you will have probably 40 or more credentialed members, Nebraska I can only guess but lets put them 50. And we send maybe 10? No wonder there is no interest, coverage, or respect. Which comes first the only Division 1 school in the state winning the division or conference or the media providing stories and interest for the program. Its kind which came first the chicken or the egg. And don't tell me they can't afford it.

Penn St does not get covered in Philly any better than we do locally. They rank below all the pro teams, just like us.

Are there any actual facts in this post or are you just making up numbers and uniformed assumptions to artificially make a point?

Top Bottom