Q&A: Rochester Junior Michael Hurt Having Huge Summer, Gophers Showing Major Interest

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Rochester Junior Michael Hurt Having Huge Summer, Gophers Showing Major Interest

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/405386?referrer_id=388419

One of the big stories of the summer AAU season is the dramatic rise of Michael Hurt, a 6-foot-7 rising junior forward from Rochester (MN) John Marshall, who has emerged as one of Minnesota's top players in the Class of 2016. The Gophers have absolutely taken notice and have been a consistent presence courtside and most of his recent AAU games.

Hurt averaged 16.1 points and nine rebounds per game as a sophomore with a season-high 30 points versus Mankato East. John Marshall finished 20-9 last season, losing to eventual state champion Lakeville North 96-61 in the Section 1AAAA championship game.

Hurt shined during the first open period week of July at the adidas Unrivaled, where he went from a last-minute addition to making the All-Star game, scoring 14 points in that contest. He helped lead the D1 Minnesota 16-and-under squad to the 17's semifinals at their own tournament last week, losing to eventual champion M33M 66-60.

GopherHole caught up with Hurt to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You obviously played very well in Chicago. What did you gain from that experience?

Michael Hurt: Just realizing what I need to do and what I need to work on to get to that top level. Playing with Jaylen Brown (a small forward from Georgia who is ranked 8th in the country by ESPN) and some of the other top players in the nation kind of made me realize where I stack up. What things I need to work on to go to the next level.

Gopher Hole: You had never had an experience like that before. Did you pick up a lot of things throughout the week?

Michael Hurt: It was kind of a slow start just kind of getting used to playing with all those bigs and at the speed that they were getting to, but I got a lot more comfortable. Found my shot here and there. I just played well on defense and just did the things that I usually do.

Gopher Hole: You made the All-Star game. That has to help your confidence even more.

Michael Hurt: Yes. It shows that I know that I can play with some of the best and just being able to compete with some of the best is my goal.

Gopher Hole: You were named the "Major stock riser" by ESPN after your showing in Chicago. Did you see that?

Michael Hurt: Yes. I talked to Paul (Biancardi) a little bit before one of my games and he just that he was really impressed. He saw a lot of skill that I have.

Gopher Hole: Have you heard from any new schools the last couple of weeks?

Michael Hurt: No, I haven't heard a lot from new schools. Cal Poly was here yesterday to watch some of my games. Richard Pitino and Ben Johnson, they were both down in Chicago to watch me play. A lot from the Gophers.

Gopher Hole: You were at the recent Gopher team camp. What was that like and did you get a chance to talk much to the coaches there?

Michael Hurt: It was a lot of fun. Being in the Big Nine (Conference), we don't get to play against a lot of great competition and being able to see where we stack up with some of the better teams in the state, was really good and yes, I did get to talk to Coach Johnson and Coach Pitino up there as well and I think that I am going to go up there in August.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers? What are they saying to you?

Michael Hurt: I talked to Coach Pitino a lot and he said that he was really impressed with my game and he just wants me to keep working hard and he'll hear from me more.

Gopher Hole: Do you feel that you are close to getting that first offer? (Note: he has since received scholarship offers from Davidson and Drake)

Michael Hurt: Yes. I think that I am getting a lot closer. I'm not sure if it will come from the Gophers or whoever, but I definitely think that I am close to getting my first offer.

Gopher Hole: What schools are you hearing from the most?

Michael Hurt: South Dakota State, the Gophers, Stanford, Northwestern and Princeton.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are heading out to Onalaska, Wisconsin after playing in Minneapolis with your AAU team to play with your high school squad. You are definitely a "basketball junkie," right?

Michael Hurt: I just love playing with my team. I love playing with my brother. It is a lot of fun.

Gopher Hole: You lose big man Ngor Barnaba (who was second on the team in scoring and rebounding) and your next four leading scorers. Is it good getting some team chemistry through the Gopher team camp and this experience?

Michael Hurt: Having a lot of people that we will be bringing up who didn't play varsity last year. Just getting that experience against that high level competition will really prepare for this season.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to maybe have a chance to play for the home state school?

Michael Hurt: That would mean a lot. That would be so fun. Everyone just backing me up. It would be a great experience.

Top Bottom