All Things Michael Hurt Rochester JM (Class of 2016)

Reaction score
Averaged 17 and 7 as Soph. Shot 66% from field 57% 3s. Now enjoying strong AAU season including being selected to and scoring 14pts in the Adidas Unrivaled Skill camp all star game in Chicago. Also sports a 4.3 GPA. His brother Matt is a 6'7" 8th grader who we project to be a top 15 player nationally in the class of 2019. Matt scored 21 pts in clash of clashes all star game on 8/9 fg. inc 3/4 from 3. Matt going into 8th grade played with the 9th grade all stars vs the 10th grade all stars.

Averaged 17 and 7 as Soph. Shot 66% from field 57% 3s. Now enjoying strong AAU season including being selected to and scoring 14pts in the Adidas Unrivaled Skill camp all star game in Chicago. Also sports a 4.3 GPA. His brother Matt is a 6'7" 8th grader who we project to be a top 15 player nationally in the class of 2019. Matt scored 21 pts in clash of clashes all star game on 8/9 fg. inc 3/4 from 3. Matt going into 8th grade played with the 9th grade all stars vs the 10th grade all stars.

Wait... He's a Sophomore but he's class of 2019? Or 2016??

confused

Saw them playing on the same team at the Gopher team camp. Michael is good, I was very impressed by Matt though.

Matt is tall, long, can handle the ball better than the older one.

based on his size and skill level I would have never geussed he was in the 8th grade, I thought he was asenior.

I focused on every word of that post except for the 3 that would have answered my confusion.....

Who is the "we" referred to in this post? Is the SCOUT! using the royal we or should I know to whom it refers?

Who is the "we" referred to in this post? Is the SCOUT! using the royal we or should I know to whom it refers?

THE SCOUT very commonly copies other people's writing and claims it as his own. I would be completely unsurprised if this was another one of those instances.

Any highlights of this kid out there? Took a quick look on youtube and didn't see much.

Just observations

I believe Michael Hurt has potential. I don't know what to make of it. I saw him play in the clash of the classes at Augsburg
last summer 2013. He was impressive. I saw him play Lakeville south at Christmas time 2013-14 season. JM lost by 16 and Hurt was anonymous. I saw Michael Hurt play versus JP Macura in the 2014 section final and JM lost by 35 (Thirty Five). Macura owned the court. Michael Hurt did nothing. Hurt had no swagger...did not play with confidence, offered no resistance. JM had talent...not sure what was missing other than playing hard and playing together. Also saw Hurt play a couple games as a freshman. Obviously, he has potential and I saw it in an All Star game but for his high school team versus decent teams I've seen nothing from him or the JM team.

His brother is the real deal. Will only be an 8th grader. Has a better skill-set then his brother right now and at least as tall. Once he gets stronger He'll dominate.

His brother is the real deal. Will only be an 8th grader. Has a better skill-set then his brother right now and at least as tall. Once he gets stronger He'll dominate.

+1

My sentiments exactly...
although Michael is stronger and can probably shoot a lot better, I really really like the 8th grader he looks and plays much older than his age. Can't wait to see him develop.

I'm not trying to knock Michael at all he is good but it's hard not to point out how impressive the younger one is.

Jigga
Saw them playing on the same team at the Gopher team camp. Michael is good, I was very impressed by Matt though.

Matt is tall, long, can handle the ball better than the older one.

based on his size and skill level I would have never geussed he was in the 8th grade, I thought he was a senior.

well for the class of 16, we have two scholly's available as of now, guessing Coffey is priority one. Than there's the PF from Maple Grove and now Hurt, sounds like another talented class for the state

I believe Michael Hurt has potential. I don't know what to make of it. I saw him play in the clash of the classes at Augsburg
last summer 2013. He was impressive. I saw him play Lakeville south at Christmas time 2013-14 season. JM lost by 16 and Hurt was anonymous. I saw Michael Hurt play versus JP Macura in the 2014 section final and JM lost by 35 (Thirty Five). Macura owned the court. Michael Hurt did nothing. Hurt had no swagger...did not play with confidence, offered no resistance. JM had talent...not sure what was missing other than playing hard and playing together. Also saw Hurt play a couple games as a freshman. Obviously, he has potential and I saw it in an All Star game but for his high school team versus decent teams I've seen nothing from him or the JM team.

Hurt was only a sophomore though, because you mentioned Macura I ask how many teams did Macura dominate when he was a sophomore, the development can be pretty dramatic going from sophomore to junior years, there aren't that many Tyus Jones types of talent that dominate from day 1 in high school.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Michael Hurt will be the next Land of 10000 Lakes 2016 talent to get a high major offer. Book it.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/493232624492478466">July 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wonder if there could be some element here of a recruit the less talented older brother to ultimately score the more talented younger brother, a la the Ellensons. Never having seen either of the Hurts play I'm obviously just spitballing, but that was the first thing I thought of when I read about them.

Hurt was only a sophomore though, because you mentioned Macura I ask how many teams did Macura dominate when he was a sophomore, the development can be pretty dramatic going from sophomore to junior years, there aren't that many Tyus Jones types of talent that dominate from day 1 in high school.

Macura was on JV his sophomore year

Does Michael Hurt high-jump by any chance? Let's not have a repeat of that fiasco.

Seriously, showing the older brother some attention can't hurt with the younger brother. At least he'll be exposed to the Gopher coaching staff. But, I get the sense that Pitino has a very specific type of player he wants for his system, so if the older brother doesn't fit the mold, I can't see him getting an offer just to keep the family happy.

Michael is better than Wally was in my opinion. I think Michael could fill that shooter role that we need.

I saw him play Lakeville south at Christmas time 2013-14 season. JM lost by 16 and Hurt was anonymous. I saw Michael Hurt play versus JP Macura in the 2014 section final and JM lost by 35 (Thirty Five). Macura owned the court. Michael Hurt did nothing. Hurt had no swagger...did not play with confidence, offered no resistance.

Not exactly encouraging to see, but to be fair, he was still only a sophomore right (and Macura a senior)?

Mods, can you fix Michael's name in the title?

I would like to see some highlight videos of him, if they exist.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Michael and Matthew Hurt will visit Minnesota next Monday and an offer to Michael, who will be a junior, could come. He has 4 current offers</p>— Chris Monter (@collegebbnews) <a href="https://twitter.com/collegebbnews/statuses/498564030467149824">August 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does Michael Hurt high-jump by any chance? Let's not have a repeat of that fiasco.

Seriously, showing the older brother some attention can't hurt with the younger brother. At least he'll be exposed to the Gopher coaching staff. But, I get the sense that Pitino has a very specific type of player he wants for his system, so if the older brother doesn't fit the mold, I can't see him getting an offer just to keep the family happy.

Attention can't hurt, but sometimes having the player on your actual roster can. Unless the brother gets a lot of minutes/shots (or whatever else he deems important) it's unlikely the younger sibling will follow in big brother's footsteps. As you alluded to with your high jump comment, you are well aware that we've recently experienced such a scenario.

Attention can't hurt, but sometimes having the player on your actual roster can. Unless the brother gets a lot of minutes/shots (or whatever else he deems important) it's unlikely the younger sibling will follow in big brother's footsteps. As you alluded to with your high jump comment, you are well aware that we've recently experienced such a scenario.

Good thing Michael is a better player than Wally was and will get more playing time if he comes here (nothing against Wally).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Michael Hurt has received a scholarship offer from the University of Minnesota. Michael is a 2016 SF</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/501504163369336834">August 18, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Michael Hurt has received a scholarship offer from the University of Minnesota. Michael is a 2016 SF</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/501504163369336834">August 18, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good move , RS Mike and he could play 2 seasons with brother here.

Top Bottom