All Things Michael Hurt Rochester JM (Class of 2016)

Rochester Post Bulletin: Hurt picks up Gophers scholarship offer

Hurt, who will take days or weeks or months to make his college decision, was none the less ecstatic with the offer. If he should say yes, he'd be the first Rochester player to ever suit up for the Minnesota men's team.

"This is a great day for me," Hurt said. "To maybe get a chance to play for my home-state team, and have all of these people congratulating me, it feels great."

"My visit there was really impressive, what they showed me," said Hurt, who averaged 17 points and nine rebounds for JM last season, and showed an all-around game. "They are doing a lot of renovating there, and are getting ready to build a new practice facility. Plus, Pitino is a great guy and an honest guy. He means every word he says."

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_3643cd06-587e-5d20-96f1-afde10a82d5e.html

Go Gophers!!

Rochester Post Bulletin: Hurt picks up Gophers scholarship offer

Hurt, who will take days or weeks or months to make his college decision, was none the less ecstatic with the offer. If he should say yes, he'd be the first Rochester player to ever suit up for the Minnesota men's team.

"This is a great day for me," Hurt said. "To maybe get a chance to play for my home-state team, and have all of these people congratulating me, it feels great."

"My visit there was really impressive, what they showed me," said Hurt, who averaged 17 points and nine rebounds for JM last season, and showed an all-around game. "They are doing a lot of renovating there, and are getting ready to build a new practice facility. Plus, Pitino is a great guy and an honest guy. He means every word he says."

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_3643cd06-587e-5d20-96f1-afde10a82d5e.html

Go Gophers!!

Wow can that be right? Throughout all the years the gophers have never had a basketball player from Rochester?

I love this offer. Get on him early and often.

I will be very surprised if Michael Hurt isn't a gopher. The only way he might not be a gopher is if the Blue bloods jump in, Which I don't see happening.

I will be very surprised if Michael Hurt isn't a gopher. The only way he might not be a gopher is if the Blue bloods jump in, Which I don't see happening.

The kid still has 2 more years of HS ball and a summer of AAU ball to develop and with his skill set, I believe that the blue bloods will be coming very soon. He's a top 80-100 talent when its all said and done, IMO.

The kid still has 2 more years of HS ball and a summer of AAU ball to develop and with his skill set, I believe that the blue bloods will be coming very soon. He's a top 80-100 talent when its all said and done, IMO.

You never know, the biggest upside to this kid is his potential.

I don't know how many schools you consider "blue bloods", but I doubt the likes of UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. will be offering Michael...I just don't see him reaching that type of level, may be wrong though. Personally, I kind of see his offer list and recruitment playing out similar to that of JP Macura. Kind of an under-the-radar recruit early on that has really developed his game nicely and will continue to get better. This time though, the Gophers have offered early in the process and hopefully Michael is more interested in playing for his home state than JP was.

I don't know how many schools you consider "blue bloods", but I doubt the likes of UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. will be offering Michael...I just don't see him reaching that type of level, may be wrong though. Personally, I kind of see his offer list and recruitment playing out similar to that of JP Macura. Kind of an under-the-radar recruit early on that has really developed his game nicely and will continue to get better. This time though, the Gophers have offered early in the process and hopefully Michael is more interested in playing for his home state than JP was.

+1, exactly what I was thinking.

Is that what his skill set is? Similar to JP? Shooter with the ability to slash with solid size? Is he a 3, for someone who some are saying is a top 100 recruit, there is virtually 0 info on him on the net.

Is his brother the better prospect?

for someone who some are saying is a top 100 recruit, there is virtually 0 info on him on the net.

Winasota (and others of course), Michael has been a top 6-7 level player in the 2016 class of talent since these kids have been identified. Now, part of the reason he didn't grab big net headlines early is because he played 15U AAU with his HS teammates and his frosh year was a strong role season off the bench and starting some.

This winter Michael really turned the corner and then this summer he pushed himself to a level of top 2-3 kids in his class. His big moments were 1.) great performance at Gopher team camp 2.) great showing at Adidas Unrivaled where he led the 2016s in scoring in the all star game of that great event, 3.) strong July play in Bloomington and Vegas in front of college coaches.

Looking for info? Not sure about videos. You want to learn about his game at those events, I wrote on Michael several times and all of those are linked at his database page (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Michael-Hurt-160864). If you don't subscribe, that's understood. I would suggest twitter search his name and I think a lot of eval comments will pop up you could read as well.

Oh, when I said 6-7, and 2-3, that meant in Minnesota's 2016 class. I failed to point that out.

Michael averaged around 17 a game as a sophomore at JM but what really caught my eye was in March when he came out for the section final and put forth a ton of effort to defend Macura. Now, Macura was a monster, but Hurt's attempt and determination to work on that end against a kid like JP said something.

Winasota (and others of course), Michael has been a top 6-7 level player in the 2016 class of talent since these kids have been identified. Now, part of the reason he didn't grab big net headlines early is because he played 15U AAU with his HS teammates and his frosh year was a strong role season off the bench and starting some.

This winter Michael really turned the corner and then this summer he pushed himself to a level of top 2-3 kids in his class. His big moments were 1.) great performance at Gopher team camp 2.) great showing at Adidas Unrivaled where he led the 2016s in scoring in the all star game of that great event, 3.) strong July play in Bloomington and Vegas in front of college coaches.

Looking for info? Not sure about videos. You want to learn about his game at those events, I wrote on Michael several times and all of those are linked at his database page (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Michael-Hurt-160864). If you don't subscribe, that's understood. I would suggest twitter search his name and I think a lot of eval comments will pop up you could read as well.

Appreciate the insight on the 2 posts, I'm not a subscriber. I guess my biggest shock is the lack of video footage on him, the link from the news story was the first I saw of him and was surprised he was white. The link you posted shows him as unranked, unranked on 247, unranked on ESPN. I feel thats uncommon for a top 100 guy, and a guy some are even mentioning "blue bloods" will be after.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he isn't worth it, I'm saying I know nothing about his game. I'll look at twitter, but it's kind of a visual thing I'm lacking, I can't see how he moves or appreciate his game at all.

Appreciate the insight on the 2 posts, I'm not a subscriber. I guess my biggest shock is the lack of video footage on him, the link from the news story was the first I saw of him and was surprised he was white. The link you posted shows him as unranked, unranked on 247, unranked on ESPN. I feel thats uncommon for a top 100 guy, and a guy some are even mentioning "blue bloods" will be after.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he isn't worth it, I'm saying I know nothing about his game. I'll look at twitter, but it's kind of a visual thing I'm lacking, I can't see how he moves or appreciate his game at all.

We'll he's white so he obviously doesn't look very athletic. I'm sure he's a real hustle type of player. Lunchpail type of guy who does all the stuff that doesn't show up on a stat sheet.

I'm obviously making a joke here. I'm sure he's solid. Hope he develops into a great player who comes to the U and helps us win.

We'll he's white so he obviously doesn't look very athletic. I'm sure he's a real hustle type of player. Lunchpail type of guy who does all the stuff that doesn't show up on a stat sheet.

I'm obviously making a joke here. I'm sure he's solid. Hope he develops into a great player who comes to the U and helps us win.

I get ya, to clarify, I wasn't saying I was surprised he was white AND a top 100 prospect. I was referencing how little I knew about him. Poor descriptor no doubt, prejudiced as all hell.

Both Hurts are visiting ISU this weekend. Just FYI since it wasn't in this thread and I know nothing about them...other than from this thread.

Both Hurts are visiting ISU this weekend. Just FYI since it wasn't in this thread and I know nothing about them...other than from this thread.

I think Gonar Mar from DeLaSalle is visiting too, if not some other class of 2017-2016 MN kid

Not to change the subject off of Michael Hurt, as he is obviously a highly talented 2016 player but I've heard there are a couple of other highly skilled wings in the MN HS 2016 class. Obviously, Coffey goes without having to mention, however what about Jamil Jackson of Mpls North? I heard the Gophers were slightly interested. He appears to have high major athleticism but needs to work on ball handling skills. A friend of mine that is very plugged in to the MN HS and AAU scene said Jackson may be transferring to Minnetonka for this season and could end up being a guy that the Gophers start recruiting harder.

The other wing I've heard good things about is Steffon Mitchell of Shakopee. Apparently, he is 6'6"/6'7" and is a lefty, like Hurt. The contact I have said he hasn't gotten the publicity of Coffey or Hurt due to playing for a lesser known AAU team but I guess this kid is the real deal as well and has been getting some high major looks. The Gopher coaches watched some of his games at the Gopher team camp and Mitchell and Hurt went head to head in a game with both guys scoring in the mid to upper 20s in points. My friend says Mitchell is likely to start getting a lot more high major looks after opening a lot of eyes during the July recruiting period.

Seems like there are 5-6 guys in the class of 2016 in MN that will be getting high major looks. Can anyone else give any info on Jackson and Mitchell and any Gopher interest? Ryan James, seems like he is about the most connected in terms of MN HS, maybe he can chime in.

It would be nice if the Gophers could grab more than 2 of the 2016 kids rather than having to watch these kids doing well for other programs.

I was at the Twin city classic at Woodbury last month and Jamil Jackson was the standout of the day. Very athletic, good leaper and a decent jump shot. I hope the Gophers are all over him. To me, he was the top prospect at the event. (And, yes, I know Jarvis was there.) Tyler Johnson was also impressive.

Hurt is a 3 star ranked 146 in 2016 per rivals
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Michael-Hurt-160864

Hurt is a 4 star ranked overall 95 (15th ranked SF) in 2016 per 247
http://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Hurt-76115

ESPN and Scout will be out later this fall

He played with his schools aau team last year and continued to do so this year in addition to playing with D1
videos are usually put out by the players and inner circles and i doubt from what i read this kid will be self promoting

if you were at the at the adidas uprising in chicago highlight game brandon ingram vs jaylen brown
hurt hit 4-5 3's 5-6 overall playing with brown in front of everybody from rick p, tom I, and Mike K
and the next day in the all star game led his team in scoring
this team was filled with 3-5 star guys
he is an excellent 3 point shooter probably one of the best in his class
recruiting is about building relationships with these kids early
i suspect richard knows what he is doing

Seems like there are 5-6 guys in the class of 2016 in MN that will be getting high major looks. Can anyone else give any info on Jackson and Mitchell and any Gopher interest? Ryan James, seems like he is about the most connected in terms of MN HS, maybe he can chime in.

It would be nice if the Gophers could grab more than 2 of the 2016 kids rather than having to watch these kids doing well for other programs.

Gophers only have 2 scholarships to give next year at the moment. That could change but for now, only 2. Locally, they have offered Amir and Michael Hurt. But they have also been watching several others locally. Reed Nikko visited last week.

Steffon Mitchell was at the Minnesota team camp playing in front of the staff and they've called him a couple times. He has Western Michigan and Furman offers. Very skilled, very intelligent, can play multiple spots, jack of all trades, incredibly long. High character kid.

Jamil Jackson has big potential. He's a really long wing with a lot of explosion and a good looking shot too. Gophers had him on campus for some games last year, watched his team a lot in the open period (they had he, Gary Trent Jr, Amar Miller, Brad Davison, Theo John, Julan Brown, etc). Jamil screams potential and as he gets more experienced I think he will see a lot of schools move in.

Top Bottom