All Things Michael Hurt Rochester JM (Class of 2016)

KSTP: Michael Hurt on Committing to the Gophers: 'It's A Dream'

Rochester John Marshall junior forward Michael Hurt recently committed to Richard Pitino and the Gophers basketball team. He's the first 2016 commitment for the Gophers.

At 6-foot-6 and 195 pounds, Hurt has the ability to play both shooting guard and small forward for Pitino. He said he'd like to start college weighing in the 215-220 range.

http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S3701993.shtml?cat=7

Go Gophers!!
So he's more of a SG/SF than SF/PF? Didn't know that.

I'd be lying if I said I'm big fan of Michael, seen him play a few times.
Kinda reminds me of Joey King offensively, dont see him creating many shots for himself at the Big10 level.
Hopefully he can be a lights-out shooter.

I hope the kid continues to develop and prove my scouting talent wrong by the time he suits up, also the chance at getting the younger bro sweetens the deal.

Kinda reminds me of Joey King offensively, dont see him creating many shots for himself at the Big10 level.

I hope the kid continues to develop and prove my scouting talent wrong by the time he suits up, also the chance at getting the younger bro sweetens the deal.

I feel the same way. Definitely no the type that blows you away

Unfortunately you're not the first two to make those comparisons. I hope the scouting services that put him in the top 150 are smarter than you guys.

Ya but...Michael is much quicker than Joey, so there is that. But Joey also seems much grittier than Michael, as well.

Ya but...Michael is much quicker than Joey, so there is that. But Joey also seems much grittier than Michael, as well.

Quicker and looks like he has really good court vision. Ball doesn't stay in his hands long when there is an open teammate. He's probably a lot closer to a taller version of JP Macura than Joey King.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Marcus:

Michael Hurt looks like a different player this summer because he took his training to another level.

Hurt, a Gophers 2016 recruit, has been developing his game and body at the Mayo Sports Medicine Center in Rochester, which resembles the new NBA practice facility in downtown Minneapolis.

He and his younger brother, Matthew, have been training there.

“It’s the same thing as the courts with the Minnesota Timberwolves,” Hurt said. “They’ve got great trainers down there for agility but also for gaining weight. They’ve got nutritionists and stuff. That’s been a big part of it. Just changing my diet, too.”

The 6-foot-6, 195-pound Hurt, who is mostly known for his outside shooting, has added 10 pounds this summer. His increased strength and athleticism was on display Saturday when he blocked a couple shots and drove the lane to dunk in front of his future college coach Richard Pitino at the Gophers team camp at Williams Arena.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...-takes-training-to-another-level-this-summer/

Go Gophers!!

Scouted the team camp...Mike Hurt rarely tried to beat defender of dribble did nearly all is damage from feet set 3 pointers

Scouted the team camp...Mike Hurt rarely tried to beat defender of dribble did nearly all is damage from feet set 3 pointers

We could use a spot shooter. I hate to compare players, but wasn't the same thing said about J.P. Macura at the same stage?

We could use a spot shooter. I hate to compare players, but wasn't the same thing said about J.P. Macura at the same stage?

JP is more athletic and quicker release. Mike more accurate a little longer frame. Matt looks like a future lottery pick

In high school games, similar...not aggressive, not gritty.

JP attacked the basket full court and half court in high school. JP tried to embarrass people throwing it down. Michael runs the floor well and will politely dunk in transition.
Does not attack the basket in the half court. Just my limited game observations. Focus on JP defensively...he'd find a way to score. Focus on Michael defensively, he'll pass.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Didn't even realize today was signing day. It's nice to have an awesome 2016 class locked up already!

wow what a baby face! can that kid even shave yet?

per Marcus: Gophers recruit Michael Hurt: “Kids should take pride in representing their state”

A sign your program is going in the right direction is when top high school players from your state want to stay home.

That happened with Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino’s 2016 class after signing the two best in-state seniors Amir Coffey from Hopkins and Michael Hurt from Rochester John Marshall to begin the early signing period Wednesday.

Coffey and Hurt had a number of high-major offers from around the country, but they wanted to make the home state team a contender in the Big Ten. Will others follow in their footsteps? Time will tell, but they’ll be trying to get more locals to join them for sure.

“I think it’s a really important step not only to keep great in state talent in Minnesota,” Hurt said, “as well as make young kids realize that they should take pride in representing their state, and hopefully we can build our program with the kids in our state!”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...hould-take-pride-in-representing-their-state/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom