All Things Michael Hurt Rochester JM (Class of 2016)

per Shama:

Michael Hurt, the Rochester John Marshall High School junior small forward who the basketball Gophers offered a scholarship to last month, is the grandson of Dr. Richard Hurt who has been an advocate of smoke-free environments.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Heard the Matthew Hurt, Michaels highly touted younger brother, got in an accident of some kind and was injured. Don't know the severity or if it effects recruiting in anyway.

Heard the Matthew Hurt, Michaels highly touted younger brother, got in an accident of some kind and was injured. Don't know the severity or if it effects recruiting in anyway.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you can't read the tweet it just says he won't be able to play for a couple months.

If you can't read the tweet it just says he won't be able to play for a couple months.

That's too bad, wonder what happened.

Can anybody find a more recent video of Michael playing? I only found the one that was linked a few pages earlier.

STrib Q&A with the HS coach:

How did Michael react to the offer from coach Richard Pitino?
I think it's very exciting for him that they're showing interest. He was impressed that they're thinking about getting a new practice facility ... he likes the idea of things they're presenting for him, how they see him as a player and I think everything has been positive.

Who else is talking to Michael regularly right now?
On my phone today, there has been: Xavier, Stanford, Notre Dame. He's getting letters from Wisconsin, Northwestern is very interested, and he has offers from: Davidson, Bucknell, UNI, Drake and San Jose St. also.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/278250091.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Grain of salt

I saw Michael Hurt score 42 points last night and I still don't see a big time player. JM played Osseo. Osseo is 5 and 5.
Osseo might play the worst defense in boys high school basketball. A. Osseo pressed the entire game. I remember one
forced jump ball turnover and a zillion JM layups. Zero Osseo traps. Layup after layup for JM. JM wants to run, let's help them seems the only explanation. B. Their press was poor and stupid but the transition defense for Osseo was non-existent. Yes, JM runs the floor well but you might be aware of this entering the game and if you can't bother to practice this facet, maybe at least talk about it? No adjustments of any kind all night. Layup after layup.

Okay having said that, that was the environment, plus Osseo pretty much has nobody who played over 6 feet tall.
They do have an inside kid (maybe 6-4) who was whistled for three fouls in first minute and a half of the game. Again, nice coaching. He got his 4th early in the second half and played about four minutes total for the evening.

Hurt did not make a contested shot...ha nobody took a contested shot. Hurt shot the ball well. (Minimum 10 of those baskets were layups) His shot looks fine but his brother's shot looks a lot smoother (to me). I just don't see Michael making an impact. He does not finish well around the basket. He is ALL left hand. His right hand rarely touches the ball.
He shoots layups from his knees or waist. He made some reverse type layups where the ball literally started below his knee...hard to explain but not how you would coach it to be done. The opposite of keeping the ball up. I believe he had one dunk. He did go to the basket but if he got bumped he didn't finish. He made very few plays where I went, "nice".
And again, there was virtually no resistance. Yes, he had 42 points...he did make shots but I just don't see him doing so when defended or game planned for. I don't see a guy who will carry his team. Maybe last night changes his life and he approaches the game differently in the future. I don't see the mentality, the mindset to perservere. If he is a Gopher I want to be wrong or at the very least I hope he improves dramatically. (Josh Martin I seem to recall had huge high school games and he looked overwhelmed for the Gophers...Josh Martin is a much bigger body and more talented rebounder than Michael Hurt) Just all my opinion.

8th grade Matthew is far more impressive. He has a greater presence about him. He is taller and looks more the part of an impact player. I think he is more athlethic than Michael, better body. He had 22 points and 9 rebounds. I think Matthew could run a race with Berkley Edwards...Mathew runs the floor like a gazelle. Again he has a fluid and pretty shot. He has some shot blocking ability, timing etc. Matthew Hurt is an impressive 8th grade basketball player now...you can see a beast, an absolute beast going forward as he matures. He can do most anything on the court right now.

I saw Michael Hurt score 42 points last night and I still don't see a big time player. JM played Osseo. Osseo is 5 and 5.
Osseo might play the worst defense in boys high school basketball. A. Osseo pressed the entire game. I remember one
forced jump ball turnover and a zillion JM layups. Zero Osseo traps. Layup after layup for JM. JM wants to run, let's help them seems the only explanation. B. Their press was poor and stupid but the transition defense for Osseo was non-existent. Yes, JM runs the floor well but you might be aware of this entering the game and if you can't bother to practice this facet, maybe at least talk about it? No adjustments of any kind all night. Layup after layup.

Okay having said that, that was the environment, plus Osseo pretty much has nobody who played over 6 feet tall.
They do have an inside kid (maybe 6-4) who was whistled for three fouls in first minute and a half of the game. Again, nice coaching. He got his 4th early in the second half and played about four minutes total for the evening.

Hurt did not make a contested shot...ha nobody took a contested shot. Hurt shot the ball well. (Minimum 10 of those baskets were layups) His shot looks fine but his brother's shot looks a lot smoother (to me). I just don't see Michael making an impact. He does not finish well around the basket. He is ALL left hand. His right hand rarely touches the ball.
He shoots layups from his knees or waist. He made some reverse type layups where the ball literally started below his knee...hard to explain but not how you would coach it to be done. The opposite of keeping the ball up. I believe he had one dunk. He did go to the basket but if he got bumped he didn't finish. He made very few plays where I went, "nice".
And again, there was virtually no resistance. Yes, he had 42 points...he did make shots but I just don't see him doing so when defended or game planned for. I don't see a guy who will carry his team. Maybe last night changes his life and he approaches the game differently in the future. I don't see the mentality, the mindset to perservere. If he is a Gopher I want to be wrong or at the very least I hope he improves dramatically. (Josh Martin I seem to recall had huge high school games and he looked overwhelmed for the Gophers...Josh Martin is a much bigger body and more talented rebounder than Michael Hurt) Just all my opinion.

8th grade Matthew is far more impressive. He has a greater presence about him. He is taller and looks more the part of an impact player. I think he is more athlethic than Michael, better body. He had 22 points and 9 rebounds. I think Matthew could run a race with Berkley Edwards...Mathew runs the floor like a gazelle. Again he has a fluid and pretty shot. He has some shot blocking ability, timing etc. Matthew Hurt is an impressive 8th grade basketball player now...you can see a beast, an absolute beast going forward as he matures. He can do most anything on the court right now.
2 things. Lets wait to see Michael get game planned for and defended and see if he makes a shot to determine whether or not he will be able to. I think thats a much more efficient method of making that judgement than saying he can't based on what you saw when he wasn't. (see it's even tough to write....)

That said, if he is deficient, is he worth the inside edge for Matthew? Is the family aware that Michael isn't that great and wouldn't be offended if he didn't get playing time. Would it be better to pass on Michael and go all out for Matthew? Or is the home team neglecting Michael going to hurt chances at Matthew?

This is what I call the
"Ellenson Conundrum" or an "Ellensondrum" or a "Conondrumson"

2 things. Lets wait to see Michael get game planned for and defended and see if he makes a shot to determine whether or not he will be able to. I think thats a much more efficient method of making that judgement than saying he can't based on what you saw when he wasn't. (see it's even tough to write....)

That said, if he is deficient, is he worth the inside edge for Matthew? Is the family aware that Michael isn't that great and wouldn't be offended if he didn't get playing time. Would it be better to pass on Michael and go all out for Matthew? Or is the home team neglecting Michael going to hurt chances at Matthew?

This is what I call the
"Ellenson Conundrum" or an "Ellensondrum" or a "Conondrumson"

I have not seen the kid play, but he's ranked #146 by Rivals and #76 by 247. I find it odd that he would be ranked that high, but wouldn't be able to compete in the BIG. Are Rivals/247 the Bible? Of course not. But they sure do a lot more research than any of us.

I don't think the Gophers made an offer to Michael just because of Matthew. But it probably didn't hurt. He does have other pretty solid offers.

Maybe the kid just needs Coach P and company to turn him into a beast.

I have not seen the kid play, but he's ranked #146 by Rivals and #76 by 247. I find it odd that he would be ranked that high, but wouldn't be able to compete in the BIG. Are Rivals/247 the Bible? Of course not. But they sure do a lot more research than any of us.

I don't think the Gophers made an offer to Michael just because of Matthew. But it probably didn't hurt. He does have other pretty solid offers.

He was the #60 recruit on ESPN a little while ago too. He may have deficiencies, but it says something when all 3 major sites have him pegged in the top 150. He's worth the offer for multiple reasons IMO.

I'm just offering my opinion. I've seen him play 7 to 10 games in the last three years. It's just what I see. Obviously the easy analysis is to agree with the rating services. I'm not saying in any way they shouldn't be offering him. I hope he is a Gopher. As stated his brother will be a 4 or 5 star recruit I would think....he is to me. Just fyi...I have been paid to analyze basketball players at different times in my career. That means absolutely nuthin' I know, but it tells you I have at least some experience in forming an opinion on players. And Michael Hurt could be Carlos Morris but I don't think so. But he is a junior....and that's part of the evaluation...is he significantly better than he was as a freshman? Last night he probably took 15 more shots than he did as a freshman and maybe, maybe he was more aggressive going to the hoop by a smidge. Ball handling, rebounding, passing, defense, leadership, attitude I don't see much change in two years. Dunno. Totally agree he is worth the offer. Just don't see Gordon Hayward comparisons yet. And Lars, I totally agree if someone can make him into GH or CM it is Coach P and company. The athleticism is there.

His national rankings came from his AAU play this summer. This guy has a huge upside because he can really shoot. He can't help it if Osseo is short and slo.

Michael Hurt. Okay, so much to say after reading the man from the 60s, I don't even know where to begin.

First, Osseo. You just made fun of Osseo's coach, trashed Tim Theisen and his coaching. He is one of the best coaches in the state and when I read that, it lead me to understand that the rest of the words could come from any direction. Yes, Osseo is way down in talent from what they have been. But you are talking about one of the best coaches in the state as if he is lost.

Let's get the obvious out of the way. The likes of Minnesota, Nebraska, and Northwestern offered before Michael's junior year because of what they saw in the last 12 months.

In the last 12 months Michael has showed the ability to be a third ball handler at a high level of AAU play, at a high level against the top Adidas competition at the Chicago event in early July that pretty much a who is who of hoops attended coach, scout, and even player wise. Especially scouts and college coaches.

Michael has always put up strong rebounding numbers which is huge because in college and in AAU he is a SF so rebounding at 7 a game for a SF, that's pretty dang good.

Passing. When Michael was playing with some of the elite 2015 and 2016 Adidas players, Michael rarely shot. Yes he was the second or third leading scorer on the team because of work rate off the ball and because of efficiency, but he moved the ball with great decisions, with great pace against a rotating, shuffling D.

Defense. Michael's position defense, his ability to use length to get deflections, his consistency of excellent position defense that results in opponents consistently instantly moving the ball away or taking contested shots, it's all better. Michael also continually steps up to defend the other team's best player. Who tried to guard JP Macura from JM last year? Yep, Michael. Now, JP destroyed everybody in state to win a state title, but Michael's effort there, and into the summer was definitely noted.

And the thing about Michael, he's an excellent shooter. And for a small forward he's very crafty at creating space around the basket to score over bigger and/or stronger players. Those are things that were seen on the AAU circuit, at Pitino camp against the best teams in Minnesota, against top players at the AAU camp. What also made a big impact? When Michael has a bad shooting day creating shots, he still scores a bunch off the ball because he moves so well without the ball, because he's good getting to second chance baskets, because he runs the floor hard in transition etc.

Leadership. I spent three games at Pitino camp watching Michael direct his younger teammates, talk on defense, and direct his team on the floor. Defensive talk is a major part of basketball and few do it. Michael was one of the only guys at Adidas Unrivaled camp who did it. That is leadership.

Michael improved in Ball handling, rebounding, passing, defense, leadership, and attitude in the last summer. That is why Minnesota, Northwestern, and Nebraska are amongst the many to offer. That's why dozens of others a high major are interested. That's why Stanford will offer soon. That's why he's a nationally ranked kid by Rivals, by 247, by Scout, by ESPN. That's why he has moved to being the second best prospect in his class in Minnesota.

But you Mr 60s guy are the man that doesn't see it. You are the guy that has routinely taken time out of his day to write long reports on why you don't think the kid is god enough and are now coming up with theories.

It's one thing to watch and think different. That's fine, everyone has an opinion. But to have these long essays about it, just weird to me. Especially considering you are somehow seeing things that are completely opposite of what people that do it for a living are seeing.

Michael Hurt. Okay, so much to say after reading the man from the 60s, I don't even know where to begin.

First, Osseo. You just made fun of Osseo's coach, trashed Tim Theisen and his coaching. He is one of the best coaches in the state and when I read that, it lead me to understand that the rest of the words could come from any direction. Yes, Osseo is way down in talent from what they have been. But you are talking about one of the best coaches in the state as if he is lost.

Let's get the obvious out of the way. The likes of Minnesota, Nebraska, and Northwestern offered before Michael's junior year because of what they saw in the last 12 months.

In the last 12 months Michael has showed the ability to be a third ball handler at a high level of AAU play, at a high level against the top Adidas competition at the Chicago event in early July that pretty much a who is who of hoops attended coach, scout, and even player wise. Especially scouts and college coaches.

Michael has always put up strong rebounding numbers which is huge because in college and in AAU he is a SF so rebounding at 7 a game for a SF, that's pretty dang good.

Passing. When Michael was playing with some of the elite 2015 and 2016 Adidas players, Michael rarely shot. Yes he was the second or third leading scorer on the team because of work rate off the ball and because of efficiency, but he moved the ball with great decisions, with great pace against a rotating, shuffling D.

Defense. Michael's position defense, his ability to use length to get deflections, his consistency of excellent position defense that results in opponents consistently instantly moving the ball away or taking contested shots, it's all better. Michael also continually steps up to defend the other team's best player. Who tried to guard JP Macura from JM last year? Yep, Michael. Now, JP destroyed everybody in state to win a state title, but Michael's effort there, and into the summer was definitely noted.

And the thing about Michael, he's an excellent shooter. And for a small forward he's very crafty at creating space around the basket to score over bigger and/or stronger players. Those are things that were seen on the AAU circuit, at Pitino camp against the best teams in Minnesota, against top players at the AAU camp. What also made a big impact? When Michael has a bad shooting day creating shots, he still scores a bunch off the ball because he moves so well without the ball, because he's good getting to second chance baskets, because he runs the floor hard in transition etc.

Leadership. I spent three games at Pitino camp watching Michael direct his younger teammates, talk on defense, and direct his team on the floor. Defensive talk is a major part of basketball and few do it. Michael was one of the only guys at Adidas Unrivaled camp who did it. That is leadership.

Michael improved in Ball handling, rebounding, passing, defense, leadership, and attitude in the last summer. That is why Minnesota, Northwestern, and Nebraska are amongst the many to offer. That's why dozens of others a high major are interested. That's why Stanford will offer soon. That's why he's a nationally ranked kid by Rivals, by 247, by Scout, by ESPN. That's why he has moved to being the second best prospect in his class in Minnesota.

But you Mr 60s guy are the man that doesn't see it. You are the guy that has routinely taken time out of his day to write long reports on why you don't think the kid is god enough and are now coming up with theories.

It's one thing to watch and think different. That's fine, everyone has an opinion. But to have these long essays about it, just weird to me. Especially considering you are somehow seeing things that are completely opposite of what people that do it for a living are seeing.
Sorry to offend you.

Coach Theisen's game plan was so obviously inappropriate it was ridiculed by junior high kids wondering why in the world they chose to press or at the least continued to. Don't know what to tell you. Most coaches don't let someone get three fouls in the first two minutes of a game. Most teams take timeouts and at least try to fix transition defense. Don't know what to tell you.

I didn't say Michael Hurt shouldn't be offered scholarships. He has size, quickness, loves basketball, and the ball goes in the basket. He has potential.

So JP Macura has 41 points and his team wins 96 to 61 (that is a 35 point loss, with a 6-9 likely D1 teammate following his JC
career and a couple other quality teammates) and Michael has 12 points and 5 rebounds in this championship. And he is rated highly
by people paid to do so but the best you got is praising him for trying to guard JP?

Or JM follows up the Osseo game with a loss to East Ridge and Michael scores 13. And the ER coach says "We felt like in games that we've seen in the past people have let him run free and shoot and do the things he wanted to do, and we just weren't going to let him do it" And Michael didn't overcome the resistance and the ER coach just trashed Mr Theisen as well.

I'm not going to continue. I made my point. You disagree with my professional analysis skills and I disagree with yours.
However, I do think the two games mentioned JP and ER do support my observations in results and stats.

Btw Matthew Hurt had 18 versus East Ridge.

Ryan just did a virtual body slam to 60s guy.

Really hoping we get an early commit out of Hurt. I've only seen him once and was very impressed.

Go Gophers!!

Ryan just did a virtual body slam to 60s guy.

Really hoping we get an early commit out of Hurt. I've only seen him once and was very impressed.

Go Gophers!!

I thought the EXACT same thing...Thanks for the insight ryan!

Thanks for the informative post, RJ. Always appreciate what you post on here.

Sorry to offend you.

Coach Theisen's game plan was so obviously inappropriate it was ridiculed by junior high kids wondering why in the world they chose to press or at the least continued to. Don't know what to tell you. Most coaches don't let someone get three fouls in the first two minutes of a game. Most teams take timeouts and at least try to fix transition defense. Don't know what to tell you.

I didn't say Michael Hurt shouldn't be offered scholarships. He has size, quickness, loves basketball, and the ball goes in the basket. He has potential.

So JP Macura has 41 points and his team wins 96 to 61 (that is a 35 point loss, with a 6-9 likely D1 teammate following his JC
career and a couple other quality teammates) and Michael has 12 points and 5 rebounds in this championship. And he is rated highly
by people paid to do so but the best you got is praising him for trying to guard JP?

Or JM follows up the Osseo game with a loss to East Ridge and Michael scores 13. And the ER coach says "We felt like in games that we've seen in the past people have let him run free and shoot and do the things he wanted to do, and we just weren't going to let him do it" And Michael didn't overcome the resistance and the ER coach just trashed Mr Theisen as well.

I'm not going to continue. I made my point. You disagree with my professional analysis skills and I disagree with yours.
However, I do think the two games mentioned JP and ER do support my observations in results and stats.

Btw Matthew Hurt had 18 versus East Ridge.

Posting on gopher hole doesn't make you a professional.

Just kind of echoing Ryan's comments because I think he covered this in what he said but didn't use the word: versatility.

Michael Hurt, with his size and skill set, and all the other intangibles and tendencies Ryan talked about, is an interesting prospect. Really have enjoyed watching him and I think he'd be a wise addition for Minnesota.

Matthew has the potential* to be even better; need to see how he progresses over the next ~2 years. If progression continues, look out.

But.. back to Michael. Good size with a beautiful stroke from outside - smart player who appears to be a kid that can be coached. Get stronger, more experienced, just keeping working on improving and with what he's already got, no question he'd be a nice kid to have at the U.

Top Bottom