Ticket sales up

Curseislifted33

Reaction score
http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

According to numbers as of last week, the Gophers had sold 3,331 student season football tickets, compared with 1,921 last year. The nonstudent season ticket total was 28,106 compared with 27,951 a year ago.

Look for an announcement later this summer about how the public can donate to the Gophers $190 million campaign to improve athletic facilities. Athletic Department officials have focused on larger contributors since the campaign was announced last year but names of those making pledges haven’t been made public.

Great news. Weren't the prices for non-student season tickets bumped up too? So they've sold a few more despite the prices being higher.

SST sales don't yet include Freshman.

Are you sure? My sister is an incoming freshman, and she already got her season tickets for FB, MBB, and Men's Hockey.

If that is true, and I don't doubt that it is, it appears highwayman just got blown up by an IED on his highway.

When my Son was an incoming freshman 3 years ago He made the dorm deposit then ordered all season tickets next.

Historically students make a push in season ticket sales closer to the first week of the season. My guess is the student ticket number gets pretty close to 5,000 and maybe goes over. That would be a pretty healthy group committed to going to games. The U would have no problem getting more students to go via giving tickets away or ticket promotions, if the team has a good season.

Too bad their new policy is to make those tickets available to general public the week of the game.

Great news. Weren't the prices for non-student season tickets bumped up too? So they've sold a few more despite the prices being higher.

Correct, non-student season tix prices did increase slightly, so yeah, I share your sentiment.

Historically students make a push in season ticket sales closer to the first week of the season. My guess is the student ticket number gets pretty close to 5,000 and maybe goes over. That would be a pretty healthy group committed to going to games. The U would have no problem getting more students to go via giving tickets away or ticket promotions, if the team has a good season.

Too bad their new policy is to make those tickets available to general public the week of the game.

The general public can purchase the unused student tickets for any game beginning the Monday after the first week of school. Used to be the week of each game. 6,000 always reserved for students still.

All other seats in the stadium have to be sold for this to happen so can't see students that want to go missing out.

If something miraculous happens and the 7-1 or 8-0 Gophers are hosting iowa, they could sell those temp viking seats as well.

I'm going to buy a pair of seats. Looking at sections 215-218 approx row 8 or 9, Would love to hear from people in that area. I'm hoping that it still gets some sun in October and November, or is the sun too low in the sky and gets blocked out by the suite/press box on the home side of the field? I had seats in sec 202 last year, but I missed seeing the scoreboard. I suppose if I was in 205 or 206 I’d be able to see the scoreboard, but at a bad angle (however, I’d have the sunshine).

I keep hearing about ticket sales and it makes me wish I was still in school.

Good to hear the student section is growing. Even in the two really bad years (2010-2011), it was still fun going to the games. And so cheap!

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

According to numbers as of last week, the Gophers had sold 3,331 student season football tickets, compared with 1,921 last year. The nonstudent season ticket total was 28,106 compared with 27,951 a year ago.

Look for an announcement later this summer about how the public can donate to the Gophers $190 million campaign to improve athletic facilities. Athletic Department officials have focused on larger contributors since the campaign was announced last year but names of those making pledges haven’t been made public.

Does anyone know the number of student season tickets sold by the opener last year? While you can't make an exact comparison, would be interesting to see what 1,921 at this point last year turned into.

I'm going to buy a pair of seats. Looking at sections 215-218 approx row 8 or 9, Would love to hear from people in that area. I'm hoping that it still gets some sun in October and November, or is the sun too low in the sky and gets blocked out by the suite/press box on the home side of the field? I had seats in sec 202 last year, but I missed seeing the scoreboard. I suppose if I was in 205 or 206 I’d be able to see the scoreboard, but at a bad angle (however, I’d have the sunshine).

I'm just on the edge or your potential seating area (Section 219, aisle seat right next to 218. These are excellent seats along that arc, and will see sun all Fall (except for maybe the 4th quarter of a 2:30 start in November). Bring sunglasses in fact, it will be in your face.

Are you sure? My sister is an incoming freshman, and she already got her season tickets for FB, MBB, and Men's Hockey.

If that is true, and I don't doubt that it is, it appears highwayman just got blown up by an IED on his highway.

I'll fall on my virtual sword here, but I swear I heard Mona say the same thing. I think they had not counted the Freshmen that had bought "football only" ST yet. I'll defer if I heard wrongly.

Must be a lot of student hockey fans. :D

Highly doubt it. Regardless of more recent success within their specific sport, and how that gets filtered through the media, hockey is, and always will be, the 3rd most popular revenue sport at the U of M by sheers numbers of total fans who follow each sport. Far behind football and men's basketball.

It is also the 3rd most popular revenue sport at the U of M among the general Minnesota public. No matter how much some hockey rubes don't want to admit it, hockey is in fact a niche sport. Even in Minnesota and other hockey-centric/talent producing states like Michigan, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania.

Highly doubt it. Regardless of more recent success within their specific sports and how that get's filtered through the media, hockey is, and always will be, the 3rd most popular revenue sport at the U of M by sheers numbers of total fans who follow each sport. Far behind football and men's basketball.

It is also the 3rd most popular revenue sport at the U of M among the general Minnesota public. No matter how much some hockey rubes don't want to admit it, hockey is in fact a niche sport. Even in Minnesota and other hockey-centric/talent producing states like Michigan, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania.

Sorry, but hockey is not a niche sport in this state. It may be for the country as a whole, but not in MN. The fact that hockey is the 3rd most popular Gopher team on campus does not prove your point.

Sorry, but hockey is not a niche sport in this state. It may be for the country as a whole, but not in MN. The fact that hockey is the 3rd most popular Gopher team on campus does not prove your point.

If one were to do an analysis of the percentage of the MN population that plays, has played and/or regularly watches hockey, I would venture it would be a very small number in relation to football and basketball. Hence, hockey is a niche sport, even in MN. Just because something like hockey in MN gets more media coverage than it should warrant relative to its overall popularity/participation levels doesn't change the fact that it is a niche sport. It is....even in MN.

And this is coming from a guy who grew up playing traveling and varsity hockey at a large metro area school district and spent most of his summers at freaking hockey camps (looking back....man what a waste of those summers). I loved and played the game growing up, but even I can admit that hockey is a niche sport in MN compared to football and basketball.

More people play golf than any other sport in MN.

I inquired about puting a Mini-Putt-Putt at TCF. They told me that the temp bleachers had to go there instead. I guess the Vikes had more pull than I did.

More people play golf than any other sport in MN.

Cuz many of us are too old to play bball or other sports where our Achilles or ACL are waiting to rupture! Although I have had a friend who gave himself a bucket handle meniscus tear while chipping- what does one expect from a badger fan!

Highly doubt it. Regardless of more recent success within their specific sport, and how that gets filtered through the media, hockey is, and always will be, the 3rd most popular revenue sport at the U of M by sheers numbers of total fans who follow each sport. Far behind football and men's basketball. It is also the 3rd most popular revenue sport at the U of M among the general Minnesota public. No matter how much some hockey rubes don't want to admit it, hockey is in fact a niche sport. Even in Minnesota and other hockey-centric/talent producing states like Michigan, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania.

If we're talking about student tickets and student attendance, hockey was a much bigger draw then basketball when I was in school. It wasn't even close.

If we're talking about student tickets and student attendance, hockey was a much bigger draw then basketball when I was in school. It wasn't even close.

Now the pissing comtest can begin. Hot damn!!!

If one were to do an analysis of the percentage of the MN population that plays, has played and/or regularly watches hockey, I would venture it would be a very small number in relation to football and basketball. Hence, hockey is a niche sport, even in MN. Just because something like hockey in MN gets more media coverage than it should warrant relative to its overall popularity/participation levels doesn't change the fact that it is a niche sport. It is....even in MN.

And this is coming from a guy who grew up playing traveling and varsity hockey at a large metro area school district and spent most of his summers at freaking hockey camps (looking back....man what a waste of those summers). I loved and played the game growing up, but even I can admit that hockey is a niche sport in MN compared to football and basketball.

Lawd...you're a moron.

Take your own recent post to heart, and stay away from here, and visit the other sites you listed that are so much better.

Wow - I think we need a group hug or are people just getting ready for fall camp? For those of you who don't like it when I promote The Daily Gopher just read this string and you will know why I do it. Carry on Dr.Don!

I would be interested to see what the spending is in the state on hockey vs basketball. As we know, the money is where the power is and I wouln't be surprised if the hockey dollar is mightier than the basketball dollar in this state.

I think students should be able to buy two guest season tickets for parents or friends from other schools (Mankato, St Cloud St, etc)

Top Bottom