BTN: Who's the top celebrity fan of every B1G school? (MN: Tony Dungy & Yanni)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Every college, it seems, has at least one well-known celebrity backer, whether it be on the gridiron, the hardwood, the diamond or the mat. But who are those figures in the Big Ten? I asked our Twitter followers that very question, and then came up with this list of the top celebrity fans for all 14 Big Ten schools.

Minnesota: Tony Dungy

One of the school’s most prestigious alumni, Dungy attended the University of Minnesota from 1973-1977, while staring on the Gophers’ football team. In addition to playing at Minnesota, Dungy also served as an assistant coach for the Gophers following his playing career and remains one of the top supporters of the football program.

Honorable Mention: Yanni

http://btn.com/2014/07/25/whos-the-top-celebrity-fan-for-every-big-ten-school/

Go Gophers!!

I guess they technically are celebrities, but guys like Brees and Dungy don't really fit.

Despite being our biggest rival, it's cool seeing Ashton Kutcher & Mila Kunis sitting next to Dan Gable at a wrestling match.

Despite being our biggest rival, it's cool seeing Ashton Kutcher & Mila Kunis sitting next to Dan Gable at a wrestling match.

I would like to wrestle Mila Kunis. Dan Gable and Ashton Kutcher can watch if they want.

What non-athletes would be our celebrities?

Ron Perlman?
Tom Friedman?
T. Denny Sanford?
David Soul?
Linda Kelsey?
Rick Sanchez?
Peter MacNicol?
The Dahm Triplets?

Those are some alumni.

Of course, there is one of the most famous fictional alums, Larry Sanders. I would have thought that Shandling would have made at least one appearance in the Metrodome in his Sanders character, but alas he didn't.

Bob Dylan, Loni Anderson, Maria Bamford, Garrison Keillor, Jessica Lange, Arne Carlson, Tim Pawlenty, Chris Coleman, etc.

They're alums, but I doubt any have ever attended a single Gopher sports event - maybe the politicians for show.

Arne was a huge Gopher athletics supporter. Don't know of the others.

Ron Perlman?
Tom Friedman?
T. Denny Sanford?
David Soul?
Linda Kelsey?
Rick Sanchez?
Peter MacNicol?
The Dahm Triplets?

Those are some alumni.

Of course, there is one of the most famous fictional alums, Larry Sanders. I would have thought that Shandling would have made at least one appearance in the Metrodome in his Sanders character, but alas he didn't.
They don't have to be an alumnus to be a fan. Many of those on the list are not. I was going to say Vince Vaughn for that one game he attended back in the Dome, but apparently he's already an OSU fan. Does that kid from the Pearl Harbor movie go to Gopher games? Someone should invite Barkhad Abdi to a game.

They don't have to be an alumnus to be a fan. Many of those on the list are not. I was going to say Vince Vaughn for that one game he attended back in the Dome, but apparently he's already an OSU fan. Does that kid from the Pearl Harbor movie go to Gopher games? Someone should invite Barkhad Abdi to a game.

Josh Hartnet? He went to Cretin Derham Hall but then dropped out to pursue his acting career when he was like 16. He moved out west, so I'm a little skeptical that he attends/attended any Gopher games.

I had a dream once where I met Ron Perlman at a Gophers vs. UCLA Rose Bowl, and he dug the fact that I told him his voice work in the Halo video games as Lord Hood was underappreciated.

Vince Vaughn has been to a number of Gopher Games. I believe he has family here?

Ron Perlman?
Tom Friedman?
T. Denny Sanford?
David Soul?
Linda Kelsey?
Rick Sanchez?
Peter MacNicol?
The Dahm Triplets?

Those are some alumni.

Dahm Triplets? Can't put a face to the name. I'm going to have to ask you to post several dozen pictures to remind me.

I vaguely remember seeing Vince Vaughn at the game and on the scoreboard at the Metrodome in a game against Miami of Ohio.

It's pretty slim pickins for MN celebrities. Just look at who they trotted out for the celebrity all star game. Sorry, but that guy from Desperate Housewives isn't a star.

Vince Vaughn has been to a number of Gopher Games. I believe he has family here?
I went to his Wiki page, and it says he is a Notre Dame fan. So where did BTN get that he is an OSU fan?

I suppose I could have said that he was a more visible supporter.

He still is a huge Gopher supporter and attends a game if he is in the area. He has a place in Florida that he spends a lot of time at and usually goes back early in the football season.

I know that he was never a fan of Brewster's from the beginning when he was hired.

What about dudes like Nick Swardson, Steve Zahn or Vince Kartheiser?
I'm sure if the Gophs were better, you'd see a lot more famous and noteworthy people rubing out about them.
That's the way it usually works.

It's pretty slim pickins for MN celebrities. Just look at who they trotted out for the celebrity all star game. Sorry, but that guy from Desperate Housewives isn't a star.

I think they did mention James Denton has played in other all-star celebrity games in the past so he wasn't just some guy they picked because it was in MN.

But I agree with your first sentence. Not a ton to choose from. I was surprised they didn't have any local former players play like Molitor or Winfield.

What about dudes like Nick Swardson, Steve Zahn or Vince Kartheiser?
I'm sure if the Gophs were better, you'd see a lot more famous and noteworthy people rubing out about them.
That's the way it usually works.
I think that's true. With only one d1 football or basketball team in the state everyone born here can jump on the bandwagon if we make it to a title game. Jessica Biel, Chris Pratt, Kevin Sorbo (Hercules), Richard dean Anderson (macgyver), and the guys from Owl City and Trampled by Turtles.

Paul Westerberg went to a football game last season.

Top Bottom