FSN: Gophers positional preview: Offensive line

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Best position battle: It remains to be seen when Christenson will be ready for action as he continues to recover from his season-ending leg injury. When he does return, though, the battle at center could be one to watch. Christenson started the first nine games of the season at center in 2013 before the injury, while Tommy Olson stepped in to replace him for the remainder of the year. While Olson has the edge heading into camp, that certainly could change. Olson is versatile enough to move around the line a bit, so if Christenson does resume the starting center job, it could mean Olson sees more time at guard.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/gophers-positional-preview-offensive-line-072414

Go Gophers!!

What I find interesting is that Brian Bobek (former Ohio State Center) isn't mentioned as someone even in the mix. It looks like he's put on some weight (up to 302) which was a concern of some - whether he was big enough to be on the line. Does anyone know: whether his illness affected him more than first thought, whether the rest of the line has a better work-ethic, or whether he's just not that good? I thought we had a real steal in him coming here, but the lack of information and mentions are baffling.

1. No one has asked or reported that Christenson is cleared to play.
2. Joe Christensen wrote last week his projection and had Pirsig at Right Tackle and Campion at right guard.
3. While I like as much Gopher coverage as the media can produce, I would like a little better informed reporting.

What I find interesting is that Brian Bobek (former Ohio State Center) isn't mentioned as someone even in the mix. It looks like he's put on some weight (up to 302) which was a concern of some - whether he was big enough to be on the line. Does anyone know: whether his illness affected him more than first thought, whether the rest of the line has a better work-ethic, or whether he's just not that good? I thought we had a real steal in him coming here, but the lack of information and mentions are baffling.

All good questions but I am not surprised at all about the lack of information. What is known is that he was very sick and lost a lot of weight. It also appears that he has put weight back on and that he is ready to participate. But given all that he has gone through I am sure the coaches are going to go slow with him. I suspect they are just going to let this play out and see what happens. There is no reason to do it any other way. No fan fare and no pressure makes a lot of sense to me. The good news is that Tommy Olson is ready to go and Jon Christenson is progressing and may be available later this year. Also Brian Bobek did get an additional year due to his medical problems last year so he still has two years to contribute.

Sounds like Bobek is back to his former self:

Limegrover: I sat (Tommy Olson) down, and told him, ‘there’s not a lot separating you from Brian Bobek. You’re now in the spot Jon Christenson was in last year. Don’t give me a chance to say Brian Bobek is better than you.'

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...-possibility-of-josh-campion-moving-and-more/
Those of us that pay attention know the situation, it's a tragedy that what passes for the sporting press, does not.

All good questions but I am not surprised at all about the lack of information. What is known is that he was very sick and lost a lot of weight. It also appears that he has put weight back on and that he is ready to participate. But given all that he has gone through I am sure the coaches are going to go slow with him. I suspect they are just going to let this play out and see what happens. There is no reason to do it any other way. No fan fare and no pressure makes a lot of sense to me. The good news is that Tommy Olson is ready to go and Jon Christenson is progressing and may be available later this year. Also Brian Bobek did get an additional year due to his medical problems last year so he still has two years to contribute.

Bingo Killjoy, with one exception. He was 280 before his illness, and gained 20+lbs during his rehab. Since he came to Minnesota, he practiced with the scout team in the fall of 2012 (didn't attend fall camp) as an ineligible transfer, missed Spring and Fall of '13 due to viral mycocarditis, and returned to practice in Bowl prep and Spring '14. This is a deep and good O-line, and the starters will have to be good to keep their jobs and reserves will have to be better to replace a starter.

I think Hayes could be ahead of Bush and Marek. He is up to 320 and was the highest rated recruit on our roster.

I think Hayes could be ahead of Bush and Marek. He is up to 320 and was the highest rated recruit on our roster.

You may be right but the fact he was the highest rated recruit means very little if anything. Ben Lauer
was ranked a two star 5.2 and last year he was a freshman All-American. Based on that Isaac Hayes
who was ranked by Rivals as a three star 5.6 player should be All-World. The reality is that the coaches could care less about how the players were rated by the recruiting services. The only thing they care about is how they are performing now. It still boggles my mind that there are so many people here who still don't understand the limitations of recruiting service rankings. The good news is that more and more people are "getting" this now.

You may be right but the fact he was the highest rated recruit means very little if anything. Ben Lauer
was ranked a two star 5.2 and last year he was a freshman All-American. Based on that Isaac Hayes
who was ranked by Rivals as a three star 5.6 player should be All-World. The reality is that the coaches could care less about how the players were rated by the recruiting services. The only thing they care about is how they are performing now. It still boggles my mind that there are so many people here who still don't understand the limitations of recruiting service rankings. The good news is that more and more people are "getting" this now.

Hayo Carpenter - All world.

one goal for the first team whom ever they end up being will be to get a 3 td lead by half time, extend to 4 and get Bobek or Christenson some playing time with the remaining first team. If they further extend the lead then, bring in a replacements one at a time. NO wholesale substitutions.

per FSN:

Best position battle: It remains to be seen when Christenson will be ready for action as he continues to recover from his season-ending leg injury. When he does return, though, the battle at center could be one to watch. Christenson started the first nine games of the season at center in 2013 before the injury, while Tommy Olson stepped in to replace him for the remainder of the year. While Olson has the edge heading into camp, that certainly could change. Olson is versatile enough to move around the line a bit, so if Christenson does resume the starting center job, it could mean Olson sees more time at guard.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/gophers-positional-preview-offensive-line-072414

Go Gophers!!

I'm generally more lenient with the press than most on here but that was an exceptionally poor article.

Curious putting Sparty top three after losing 3 starters. It's a lazy way of doing these, just pick teams that have done well and assume they will reload.

Top Bottom