Badgers lose 2 incoming WR's

I guarantee that it doesn't happen this year. I'll even give you odds. How does 5-1 sound? Name your bet.

Wait - if I wager $50 are you paying out $250 when Wisconsin beats us? or $10? Either way, I'll take that bet...I would love to believe all the BADger bashing that has been going on, but their program has just been too strong lately. Gordon will gash us. If we don't beat them, they will be 11-1 going into the B10 Championship (I assume they will lose to LSU). Anything less will signal a decline in the program, which should have the UW faithful very worried. They were given the golden platter of a schedule this year, and if they don't capitalize they will be no better than the rest of the middle of the conference.

Wait - if I wager $50 are you paying out $250 when Wisconsin beats us? or $10? Either way, I'll take that bet...I would love to believe all the BADger bashing that has been going on, but their program has just been too strong lately. Gordon will gash us. If we don't beat them, they will be 11-1 going into the B10 Championship (I assume they will lose to LSU). Anything less will signal a decline in the program, which should have the UW faithful very worried. They were given the golden platter of a schedule this year, and if they don't capitalize they will be no better than the rest of the middle of the conference.

I'm guessing he said that because the post he quoted said October. The game this year is in November so there is 0 chance Wisconsin would be running around with the Axe in October.

Our returning receivers may not have been incredibly productive but we know a lot more about the guys we have coming back than Wisconsin knows about theirs. Jones and Wolitarsky started or played significantly in most games and Fruechte will be a 3 year starter/major contributor plus Maxx and all of the proven TEs we have as well. Their #1 returner may have played just slightly more than KJ Maye. I would take Cobb and Berkley as pass catchers out of the backfield over Gordon and Clement too.

I'm guessing he said that because the post he quoted said October. The game this year is in November so there is 0 chance Wisconsin would be running around with the Axe in October.

They have the axe on campus. Pretty sure the chances of them running around with it are higher than zero. ;)

Yes I actually do think Drew proved something last year. As a true freshman he made some plays and came on strong at the end of the year. We know more about Minnesota's returning WR's than Wisconsin's.

It's easy to see why a lot of posters think you're a Badger fan. That was pretty strange to bring up the conference championship from a few years ago just to point out that Wisconsin can run the ball. Yeah, I already know that. Sounds like you saw it as an opportunity to "puff your chest" about a dominate Badger victory.

Hmmm, I didn't think it was that strange. There are a number of posters I've seen bring it up in the past week in the Bielema thread and others. That's why it was top of mind. What we "know" of our wide receivers is that they don't seem to be special based on the evidence. Maybe that changes but arguments could be made that maybe unknowns layered on with hope are better than mediocre knowns.

ETA: we also have those unknowns with hope which I love. Particularly with Holland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I didn't think it was that strange. There are a number of posters I've seen bring it up in the past week in the Bielema thread and others. That's why it was top of mind. What I "know" of our wide receivers doesn't seem to be based on any evidence. Maybe that changes but arguments could be made that maybe I known nothing layered on with more mediocre nothings.

ETA: I also have those unknowns which I hope explains why I am so confused. Particularly with WRs.

FIFY

Hmmm, I didn't think it was that strange. There are a number of posters I've seen bring it up in the past week in the Bielema thread and others. That's why it was top of mind. What we "know" of our wide receivers is that they don't seem to be special based on the evidence. Maybe that changes but arguments could be made that maybe unknowns layered on with hope are better than mediocre knowns.

ETA: we also have those unknowns with hope which I love. Particularly with Holland.

We started two true freshman. The coaches and most of the fans believe that the sky is the limit with both of them especially Jones. They are absolutely layered with hope. I'd bet most would agree, even some badger fans that those 2 have higher ceilings and brighter futures than Alex Erickson and Jordan Frederick of Wisconsin.

Beat it Badger lover!

How can you tell if a player is or isn't special based on their true freshman season? There are all sorts of examples of players having little to no impact their first year only to become great college football players. I'd say the fact that Wolitarsky and Jones made some plays in the big ten is a good sign.

How can you tell if a player is or isn't special based on their true freshman season? There are all sorts of examples of players having little to no impact their first year only to become great college football players. I'd say the fact that Wolitarsky and Jones made some plays in the big ten is a good sign.

I never said I could. Where do you get that from? I said just because Drew played one season and didn't really stand out doesn't give us ground to stand up and say we're better off. Is it really that confusing?

I never said I could. Where do you get that from? I said just because Drew played one season and didn't really stand out doesn't give us ground to stand up and say we're better off. Is it really that confusing?

Give this up. Even most Badger fans would agree their WR situation is beyond thin this year. They don't have anyone on their roster who caught a TD last year. If you can't see that our situation at WR is far better than Wisconsin's then you are blind.

Post something of value, once.

Maybe you should take your own advice or at least listen to what others are saying to you such as DMB123 states below:

Give this up. Even most Badger fans would agree their WR situation is beyond thin this year. They don't have anyone on their roster who caught a TD last year. If you can't see that our situation at WR is far better than Wisconsin's then you are blind.

Yes, I'm confused because apparently you aren't putting Wolitarsky and Jones in the "unknowns with hope" category and are already labeling them "mediocre knowns" because of their true freshman seasons in which they both showed some promise. That doesn't make sense to me. Agree to disagree I guess.

Yes, I'm confused because apparently you aren't putting Wolitarsky and Jones in the "unknowns with hope" category and are already labeling them "mediocre knowns" because of their true freshman seasons in which they both showed some promise. That doesn't make sense to me. Agree to disagree I guess.

+1 That is why some here have labeled maroonedinCA a troll. Obviously this site has a Gopher bias but MarooonedinCA appears to have a anti Gopher bias by labeling them "mediocre knowns".

For both teams, it will come down to coaching up.

My view is if you're relying on incoming freshmen or even redshirt freshmen to save you, you are in big trouble (look at the Gopher depth chart going into 2010.)

The Badgers lose their do everything WR Abbrederis and their top TE Pederson. Nick Toon was the top receiver when Abbrederis was starting to shine as a red-shirt freshman. Hendricks was the star that year as well with Pederson making a little noise. There really was something to build on. This time around, Wisconsin is starting from scratch with none of their receivers or tight ends having yet stepped forward. Also, as stated, they lose their top receiver out of the back field, James White. The Badgers have no "up and coming guy" this time around. I think Gary Anderson is a good coach so he can turn things around. But I have always felt that Bielema "got out of Dodge" knowing a bit of re-building was going to have to occur eventually.

The Gophers lose Engel. That is it. The numbers aren't spectacular, but unlike the Badgers, numbers actually exist. Neither team has a Drew Breese or Russell Wilson to make their receivers look good. Both teams need someone to step forward. Who that is when it comes to receiver is a crap shoot. The Gophers have not had a top wide receiver who wasn't either a 2* recruit or a walk-on since before Decker and Abbrederis was a walk-on for Wisconsin. So, guessing it's the guy with the highest Rival ranking is little bit of dreaming.

I would say that the only star receiver on either team is the Gopher's tight end Maxx Williams. (We may have Berkley Edwards coming up, but like I said before, I disqualify all red shirts and true freshmen when predicting.)

In closing, I wouldn't bet a dollar on this bet. It will come down to the coaching staffs ability to "put their players in position to succeed". Besides Maxx, it's in the hands of the coaches to deal with what recruiting and fate have dealt them.

For both teams, it will come down to coaching up.

My view is if you're relying on incoming freshmen or even redshirt freshmen to save you, you are in big trouble (look at the Gopher depth chart going into 2010.)

The Badgers lose their do everything WR Abbrederis and their top TE Pederson. Nick Toon was the top receiver when Abbrederis was starting to shine as a red-shirt freshman. Hendricks was the star that year as well with Pederson making a little noise. There really was something to build on. This time around, Wisconsin is starting from scratch with none of their receivers or tight ends having yet stepped forward. Also, as stated, they lose their top receiver out of the back field, James White. The Badgers have no "up and coming guy" this time around. I think Gary Anderson is a good coach so he can turn things around. But I have always felt that Bielema "got out of Dodge" knowing a bit of re-building was going to have to occur eventually.

The Gophers lose Engel. That is it. The numbers aren't spectacular, but unlike the Badgers, numbers actually exist. Neither team has a Drew Breese or Russell Wilson to make their receivers look good. Both teams need someone to step forward. Who that is when it comes to receiver is a crap shoot. The Gophers have not had a top wide receiver who wasn't either a 2* recruit or a walk-on since before Decker and Abbrederis was a walk-on for Wisconsin. So, guessing it's the guy with the highest Rival ranking is little bit of dreaming.

I would say that the only star receiver on either team is the Gopher's tight end Maxx Williams. (We may have Berkley Edwards coming up, but like I said before, I disqualify all red shirts and true freshmen when predicting.)

In closing, I wouldn't bet a dollar on this bet. It will come down to the coaching staffs ability to "put their players in position to succeed". Besides Maxx, it's in the hands of the coaches to deal with what recruiting and fate have dealt them.

I agree with everything you've written except the two bolded areas.

Not sure that they need to "turn things around" or will need to "rebuild". It's more the case of "keeping the bar high" or "keeping things elevated".

To me rebuilding implies that their passing game had some games/years where they were in the gutters, which is not the case.

+1. This is especially true with WRs.

Would Coach Kill trade our WR core to Wisconsin for theirs? Probably not, but who cares. Let's just join hands and rejoice in glory of bad things happening to the badgers - which was the original intent of this thread. All we know for sure (and all the matters) is the badger WR core is weaker because of this.

Top Bottom