Badgers lose 2 incoming WR's

The story for Watkins is one of homesickness and “stupid decisions” by Watkins, according to Jesse Temple of Fox Sports Wisconsin.

I'll give the kid credit for identifying the mistake of committing to the Badgers. That will happen with 17-18 year old young men. Too bad the other 32 incoming freshmen aren't as bright.

Watkins was a real "get" for them and projected as a nice weapon given that Andersen appears poised to open things up a bit.

They're in horrible shape at WR. I believe they brought in 5 receivers in this last class. These were arguably the top
two. They've a cream puff schedule other than the the LSU game in Houston. I believe the Tigers are about a 4 hour
drive from Houston. The stadium will be 3/4 filled with Bijou fans. Becky will be the Christians against the Lions.

They're in horrible shape at WR. I believe they brought in 5 receivers in this last class. These were arguably the top
two. They've a cream puff schedule other than the the LSU game in Houston. I believe the Tigers are about a 4 hour
drive from Houston. The stadium will be 3/4 filled with Bijou fans. Becky will be the Christians against the Lions.

No worse than us

No worse than us

Take a closer look. They're in a far worse situation with their WR's than we are. They're leading returning receiver is Jordan Fredrick, he had 10 catches for 106 yards and zero TD's last year. Gary Anderson would kill to have our receivers.

No worse than us

In terms of returning WR production, yeah, they're worse than us. Drew Wolitarsky by himself (259 yards) comes close to all of Wisconsin's returning WR's (299 yards). Both units are largely unproven but I'd easily take our situation over Wisconsin's.

Many others beat me to it, but to keep adding gas to the MaroonedinCA dumpster fire, a topic with the words "Wisconsin" or "Badgers" that he can never resist.......Wisconsin lost 76% of the WR receptions and 80% of the WR yardage. Minnesota lost 34% of their WR receptions & 37% of the WR yardage.

No worse than us

Actually they are in worse shape then us. Holland is a better receiver coming in than their top recruit (Sanders). So we have them beat there. And I'd personally take Jones and Wolatarsky over Doe and Jordan. Though they do have more experience at the position. I'd also rather have Williams over anything they have at tight end.

Their top 3 pass catchers from last year (yes I'm including backs and TEs) are all in NFL training camps, while 2 of ours are back with MN

Top 4 including RBs with James White leaving. Pedersen, Abrederis, White and Duckworth.

That is HUGE. That would be like if Melvin Holland and Isaiah Gentry didn't end up here and could have a bigger impact than Jeff Jones not qualifying. Watkins was a 4 star and Jones was a very high 3 star. They still do have a couple mid to high 3 stars in Jamerson, sanders and Rushing, Sanders is actually a low 4 on 247 but this is still huge.

Wisconsin seems to have the QB position most commonly named as a question mark for this upcoming season. If they are that sparse at receiver, it sounds like a bad combo with questionable QB's.

Well, we all know they will be able to run so we'll have to see how this plays out. It always seems to be easy to predict their doom... in July.

Wisconsin seems to have the QB position most commonly named as a question mark for this upcoming season. If they are that sparse at receiver, it sounds like a bad combo with questionable QB's.

Well, we all know they will be able to run so we'll have to see how this plays out. It always seems to be easy to predict their doom... in July.
They also lose their entire starting front 7 on D and best DB who was a 3rd rounder. This will be their worst team since 2008.

Before I get excited about the upcoming demise of the Vadgers, can someone put these personnel losses into perspective?

Yes, they are losing a lot of starters, but when you are as good as they have been (hurts to say that) and have built up a program, couldn't it also be a case of next man up?

Are these losses of personnel on the high side of the distribution curve? Do programs on this position generally have "down years" or are there just as many examples of programs "cycling through players" and coming out ok?

Thoughts?

Before I get excited about the upcoming demise of the Vadgers, can someone put these personnel losses into perspective?

Yes, they are losing a lot of starters, but when you are as good as they have been (hurts to say that) and have built up a program, couldn't it also be a case of next man up?

Are these losses of personnel on the high side of the distribution curve? Do programs on this position generally have "down years" or are there just as many examples of programs "cycling through players" and coming out ok?

Thoughts?
2012 returning starter numbers:
http://blog.philsteele.com/2012/01/20/2012-returning-starters/

2013:
https://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2013/JAN13/DBJan21.html

2014:
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2014/JAN14/DBJan23.html

They also lose their entire starting front 7 on D and best DB who was a 3rd rounder. This will be their worst team since 2008.

Don't most prognostications have them picked as the favorite in the Big 10 west? If they are a division contender with their worst team since 2008... that is a major bummer.

I do hope they take that big step back at some point... I am just sick of reading about their demise each summer, followed up by them running around with the axe in October and/or playing in the Rose Bowl in January.

They have Melvin Gordon and their usual stacked O-line, they will be good don't kid yourselves.

Don't most prognostications have them picked as the favorite in the Big 10 west? If they are a division contender with their worst team since 2008... that is a major bummer.I do hope they take that big step back at some point... I am just sick of reading about their demise each summer, followed up by them running around with the axe in October and/or playing in the Rose Bowl in January.

Have you seen their schedule? It's the ONLY reason they are picked to do so well in the standings. It's barely a Big Ten schedule. They'll be pretty average compared to past years but still go 9-3 simply because there's not many losses on that pathetic schedule.

Have you seen their schedule? It's the ONLY reason they are picked to do so well in the standings. It's barely a Big Ten schedule. They'll be pretty average compared to past years but still go 9-3 simply because there's not many losses on that pathetic schedule.

DMB's correct about the easy schedule, but just remember this: unless a team is in free fall (w/ a lame duck coach), there almost are never any gimmes on a B1G schedule. Wisconsin opens at NW, which will be tough for them if they don't step up (though they have played well against NW in recent years). Then they follow with Ill, MD, Rutgers, & Purdue. Now, on paper Wisconsin will be the favorite in all of those, but there's no guarantees here and if their young D doesn't do well and their passing game is poor, then they could lose more than 1 of those 4 games. Then they close with Nebraska, Iowa, & us, which should be trouble if they are only average.

It's always unknown how new guys will do, but for Wisconsin, you can count on their run game being solid and that's about it. Could Stave take a big step up and be competent at QB? He could, but he could also be just as mediocre as he has been or regress. Etc., etc., for their WRs & D.

In terms of returning WR production, yeah, they're worse than us. Drew Wolitarsky by himself (259 yards) comes close to all of Wisconsin's returning WR's (299 yards). Both units are largely unproven but I'd easily take our situation over Wisconsin's.

Ummm, that was EXACTLY my point. They have no proven receivers and we really have no proven receivers (unless you think Drew's 259 yards last year means he proved something). They had Abbrederis last year, he was probably targeted a lot leaving fewer passes to distribute elsewhere. They have freshman coming in just like we do that are competing for for spots. Maybe ours turn out better maybe theirs turn about better. Maybe with Melvin Gordon and Corey Clement in their backfield it makes no difference either way. How many yards did they throw the ball against Nebraska when they hung a billion points in the conference championship game?

I'm just not going to get myself too excited or start puffing my chest until we beat them.

Ummm, that was EXACTLY my point. They have no proven receivers and we really have no proven receivers (unless you think Drew's 259 yards last year means he proved something). They had Abbrederis last year, he was probably targeted a lot leaving fewer passes to distribute elsewhere. They have freshman coming in just like we do that are competing for for spots. Maybe ours turn out better maybe theirs turn about better. Maybe with Melvin Gordon and Corey Clement in their backfield it makes no difference either way. How many yards did they throw the ball against Nebraska when they hung a billion points in the conference championship game?

I'm just not going to get myself too excited or start puffing my chest until we beat them.

Badger Fan

Yes I actually do think Drew proved something last year. As a true freshman he made some plays and came on strong at the end of the year. We know more about Minnesota's returning WR's than Wisconsin's.

It's easy to see why a lot of posters think you're a Badger fan. That was pretty strange to bring up the conference championship from a few years ago just to point out that Wisconsin can run the ball. Yeah, I already know that. Sounds like you saw it as an opportunity to "puff your chest" about a dominate Badger victory.

This thread reads like a teenage girl's diary on why her ex boyfriend will never do better than her.

I am just sick of reading about their demise each summer, followed up by them running around with the axe in October

I guarantee that it doesn't happen this year. I'll even give you odds. How does 5-1 sound? Name your bet.

Top Bottom