Q&A: Brock Bertram Says He's Hearing More Often From Gophers, Planning Upcoming Visit

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Brock Bertram Says He's Hearing More Often From Gophers, Planning Upcoming Visit

Q&A: Brock Bertram Says He's Hearing More Often From Gophers, Planning Upcoming Visit to U
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/404916?referrer_id=388419

Brock Bertram, a 6-foot-10 rising junior center from Apple Valley (MN) High, is one of the top players in the state in the Class of 2016.

Bertram attended the Minnesota Golden Gophers' Team Camp recently and talked to Gopher Hole about his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: We had talked recently about you possibly taking a visit to the "U." Have you planned on taking a trip?

Brock Bertram: I think that we are going to wait until the end of July with all the basketball stuff and probably take a visit after that.

Gopher Hole: You recently lost a tooth playing at the South of River League? What happened?

Brock Bertram: It was just a normal free throw. I went up and someone elbowed me in my mouth. I had to get the tooth taken out and had surgery on it. I am going to get it fixed next week.

Gopher Hole: Were you wearing a mouth guard?

Brock Bertram: No, I wasn't. I learned my lesson. .

Gopher Hole: Is it painful?

Brock Bertram: Yes, it is a little bit, but the doctors did a pretty good job.

Gopher Hole: How long were you out?

Brock Bertram: Just a couple of days. I wanted to play with my team again. Make a connection before the season.

Gopher Hole: You lost some key seniors like Tyus Jones, Robert Tobroxen and Dennis Austin. You are going to be asked to be a little bit more of a leader. Is that something that you are looking forward to?

Brock Bertram: Me and my teammates, we have a really good connection. We have all grown up together. I really feel that they have my back and I have their's. We have been working out in the weight room a lot and we are really putting in the work because we know that it will show on the court this winter. We are working hard.

Gopher Hole: You obviously have a lot of young talent with you becoming a junior, Gary Trent Jr being a sophomore and Tre Jones will be a freshman and you have some other good young players. What are the expectations for the upcoming season?

Brock Bertram: Same as last year. Go win the state. I think that we can do it with the team that we have. Go and contend for the state championship.

Gopher Hole: Do you have a little bit of a chip on your shoulders have lost in the sectional finals last year?

Brock Bertram: For sure. We have talked about it, actually and we are working hard to get there.

Gopher Hole: How pleased are you with how well things are going team-wise and individually in the EYBL so far?

Brock Bertram: Oh man, it has been great. We have really started connecting as a team. We qualified for the Peach Jam. I think that we were third in the division. It was really good. We are looking forward to a really big July.

Gopher Hole: You have always played against good competition, but now you are playing against some of the best players in the country. How much do you think that helped you as a player realizing that you are playing against great players here like you are going to play against great players in college?

Brock Bertram: Really good. Like you said, every team has amazing players. Really good. Top players in the nation. I am really just trying to play as hard as I can and try to pick up everything I can.

Gopher Hole: You are probably the biggest players in the state, but in the EYBL, you have played against seven-footers and even a player who was 7-5. Is it kind of nice to see some size because you might be playing against players with comparable size in college rather than in high school where you go up against guys several inches shorter than you?

Brock Bertram: It is really good practice, actually. It just helps me to play. In Minnesota, I am usually the biggest guy, but when you go across the country, there are guys as big as you every game. It has helped me a lot.

Gopher Hole: You also get to practice for Pulley with Alex Illikainen, who is one of the better big men around. How much do you think that has helps you?

Brock Bertram: Alex is a great, great player and he is great teammate. He has really helped me a lot. We go at it pretty hard and he has helped me a lot.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment right now? What schools are you hearing from?

Brock Bertram: I have been hearing from Tulsa, Vanderbilt, Colorado, Northern Iowa and Creighton. I went to Northern Iowa for their team camp and I have been talking to Minnesota a little bit more. I am going to take a visit in a month.

Gopher Hole: Just the one offer still, right?

Brock Bertram: Yes. Texas Tech.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Brock Bertram: They are just saying that they really like me and they want me to keep progressing and getting better.

Gopher Hole: It looks like you have lost some weight.

Brock Bertram: I have been going pretty hard with coach Jadee (Jones). He has been really pushing me and it has been working out.

Gopher Hole: It seems like it is working out since you seem to be running the floor better. Have you noticed a difference?

Brock Bertram: Yes, it is. Last year, I could tell that I was a little bit heavier and bigger. I have been really focusing on my diet, working out every day and just getting better.

Has Tubby and Tech offered every kid in MN?

Top Bottom