FSN: Gophers positional preview: Tight ends

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Best position battle: There's no question that Williams will not only be the top starting tight end but also one of the go-to targets in the passing game. The question for this group: who will be the No. 2 tight end?

Minnesota runs plenty of two-tight end formations, meaning there will be plenty of rotating among the group. Goodger was the only other tight end besides Williams to catch a pass last season, but that doesn't automatically mean he's the No. 2 tight end. Plsek has two years of experience and is one of Minnesota's better blocking tight ends. It remains to be seen if he can factor much into the passing game. The competition for the No. 2 tight end will likely be between those two, although Anyanwu and Wozniak could have an opportunity to get a few reps in fall camp if they can impress the coaching staff.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/gophers-positional-preview-tight-ends-072314

Go Gophers!!

Maxx caught for 417 yards as a redshirt Fr. I would be surprised if he doesn't double that this year. Look for a 1000 receiving yards from our TEs. Another year of route running with the QB will make a huge difference.

Anyanwu, IMO, was the most impressive player I saw in Spring ball. I expect him to play a notable role this year.

We have 5 strong options for different sets. TEs will play a big role in this O. More than just powerful run blocking, which they will provide.

We have a solid group of returning players and some very talented newcomers. This is one of out strongest position groups. We have some blockers, some pass catchers and some guys who do both really well. I would love to see a three tight end formations especially with Wisconsin going to the 3-4 and many others play way more nickel defense.

http://www.footballtimes.org/Printer.asp?ID=218

Forgive the weird URL. I can't seem to figure out how to get there without it.

Curious why they don't interview a coach or player in these previews?

no mention of any of the true freshman. Any idea why? there are about 8 or 9 tight ends list on the roster and they mention 5 in the article.

I agree. Elmore at least looks gifted enough to contribute this year. Or are they switching him to DE?

I agree. Elmore at least looks gifted enough to contribute this year. Or are they switching him to DE?

he has put on at least 10 pounds since getting there at the first part of June and he is definitely more chiseled.
It sounds like he is more ready to switch to DE if they need him there than he used to be. Offensive minded kid, but willing to do what the team needs and what it takes to get on the field.

Top Bottom