GopherSports: Maroney To Participate In B1G Media Day

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

Former Minnesota and NFL running back Laurence Maroney will be in Chicago next week for the annual Big Ten Media Days.

The Gopher great will join Coach Kill for a league-organized autograph session and photo shoot on July 29 that features all 14 Big Ten head coaches and one alum from each team. The ticketed-autograph session will take place from 10-10:50 a.m. at the Hilton Chicago and precedes the 43rd Annual Kickoff Luncheon, which begins at 11:30 a.m.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072314aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Speaking of Lawrence and autographs, I had an experience getting one from him after his last season at the U. My wife and I were in a Rainbow Foods late one Friday night when I noticed him in the store. I got a bit excited and my wife was a bit amused that a middle-aged man would point out some kid to her. The good sport that my wife is she found a little novelty stand with about three very lame Gopher articles. She grabbed the one t-shirt that had some knockoff Goldy on it (it actually looked more like Alvin from the Chimpmunks) and encouraged me to ask Lawrence for his autograph. I got behind him in the checkout lane and politely asked him for his autograph. Lawrence was very gracious and even asked me if I wanted him to sign it any certain way. I asked him to make it out to my son and although I was tempted to give him my name, I actually gave him my son's name. Lawrence carefully laid the shirt on on the conveyor only to have the impatient checkout clerk start the stupid thing going as he started to sign it. Fortunately Lawrence's superior fast reflexes kicked in and he picked up the shirt before botching it with the Sharpie. He moved to a closed checkout lane and signed it. I thanked him and he simply said "you are welcome." He struck me as being very calm and mature unlike the old guy seeking his autograph. It was a good day!

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom