Top 10 Memorable Plays

Great memories, well most of them. If a series of plays, Michael Carter's series vs Purdue has to be on that list.

He left Darrel Thompson's run against Michigan

I'd put Aaron Hill's fumble recovery well above both Iowa games. Those seasons were major failures would we lost to Iowa and still are major failures even though we beat them. The season was already lost. Not the case with the IU game.

Personally, I think Foggie's run is bigger than Gary Russel. Michigan was #2 and I don't think the Gophers had almost beat them the two years prior.

No credit for Marion Barber fourth and goal vs. Michigan when they were number 1.
How about Jim Gallery kicking 4 field goals against Iowa beating them 12-0.
The effort of Kent Kitzman vs. Illinois 57 rushes.
And if it came down to just one play it was Gil Fash.

I bet none of those field goals would make the top 250 plays unless they were 60 plus

How about Tyrone Carter's two fumble returns the first for 63 yards and the second for 20 yards in the closing seconds of a win over a ranked Syracuse team with McNabb.

How about Tyrone Carter's two fumble returns the first for 63 yards and the second for 20 yards in the closing seconds of a win over a ranked Syracuse team with McNabb.

I don't remember that..................

Best 5 yard run ever. Maroney in the Sun Bowl on the last drive to setup Reece. Loyd with the winning FG. The inside
cut wasn't there, so he cut to the outside. The strong safety and the weak side LB had him dead too right, but he juked
them both out of their jocks and some how got 4-5 yards for the first down. Later, talking too a Duck fan he couldn't believe how Maroney avoided.a huge loss.

Wow, the #1 play in "our" lifetime resulted in a win over a 6-3, 3-2 Wisconsin team. Shut down the program!

Immaculate deflection vs. Penn State in 99....fourth down throw plus option conversion from Cupito vs. #11 Purdue in 2005.....Stoudermire's kickoff return in 2010 vs. Illinois (win plus beat Iowa the following week)....Tyrone Carter two fumble returns for Tds in a matter of minutes to beat Donovan McNabb and #23 Syracuse in 1996....Adam Bailey onside kick to set up game winner vs. Michigan State in 1997......Maroney fourth down run against Oregon in 2003....Bennett's reception off Tow-Arnett's deflection to beat Michigan State on Halloween?

Wow, the #1 play in "our" lifetime resulted in a win over a 6-3, 3-2 Wisconsin team. Shut down the program!

Immaculate deflection vs. Penn State in 99....fourth down throw plus option conversion from Cupito vs. #11 Purdue in 2005.....Stoudermire's kickoff return in 2010 vs. Illinois (win plus beat Iowa the following week)....Tyrone Carter two fumble returns for Tds in a matter of minutes to beat Donovan McNabb and #23 Syracuse in 1996....Adam Bailey onside kick to set up game winner vs. Michigan State in 1997......Maroney fourth down run against Oregon in 2003....Bennett's reception off Tow-Arnett's deflection to beat Michigan State on Halloween?

I get your and Huskers points. So many worthy plays. Glad I actually got to see a few of them live. Yes it has often been bitter sweat being a Gophers fan, but seeing plays like this has made it worth the price of admission.

BTW I think the play in bold type is one of the most overlooked great plays.

It's not top ten, but what about our linebacker (name?) shattering Drew Stanton's helmet on 4th and goal.

It's not top ten, but what about our linebacker (name?) shattering Drew Stanton's helmet on 4th and goal.

Oh yeah Deon Hightowers hit. That was crazy.

Not top ten either, but Ron Johnson abusing Clements(?) from OSU in 2000, and TJIII coming off of his sick bed come to mind as memorable moments. Also didn't Laurence Maroney have back to back 80 yard runs in a non conference game?

BTW Anyone remember a Goldy Gopher classic? The Toledo mascot (Rocket) had some sort of foil wrapped rocket like outfit. Goldy sneaks up and rips it off of the mascot and heaves the outfit up the tunnel. The mascot only had shorts on. Embarrassed, he ran up the tunnel never to be seen again. At first I thought it was staged, but after not seeing him again, I think Goldy just abused him. Crazy stuff.

And there was Gary Couch's 28 yard run in the final minute to beat Iowa in Lou Holtz first year.

I feel like an old fart, which Dr. Don and I are. But Jesus, label this the best plays in the last 10 years or something. We did have 5 or 6 national champs before the 2000s you know. Do some research and go back in history if you're going to do this. It's like the top 10 events in US history and then leaving out the Revolution, the Depression, WWI and WWII, the moon landing, etc.

I would like to submit Tom Brown teakettling the Iowa center into the lap of qb Wilburn Hollis which won the national championship for the 1960 Gophers

How about a second string tight end, hauling in 3 TD's against Art Schlister and The Ohio State. The last coming with a about a minute left. Jay Carroll had a day for record books.

I feel like an old fart, which Dr. Don and I are. But Jesus, label this the best plays in the last 10 years or something. We did have 5 or 6 national champs before the 2000s you know. Do some research and go back in history if you're going to do this. It's like the top 10 events in US history and then leaving out the Revolution, the Depression, WWI and WWII, the moon landing, etc.

I would like to submit Tom Brown teakettling the Iowa center into the lap of qb Wilburn Hollis which won the national championship for the 1960 Gophers

Truth.

Did you happen to read the end of the article's title? "Top Ten Plays....that most of us were alive for". Whether it's correct or not, I think that they're assuming that most people reading the article didn't start watching the Gophers until well after 1960.

No credit for Marion Barber fourth and goal vs. Michigan when they were number 1.
The effort of Kent Kitzman vs. Illinois 57 rushes.
And if it came down to just one play it was Gil Fash.

METRODOME era...

Top Bottom