Sports Huddle (Jerry Kill) Transcriptions

DL65

Reaction score
As a result of some family commitments, I will not be transcribing Jerry Kill's comments and responses from his appearances - July 27 and August 3 - on the Sports Huddle.

Go Gophers!!

As a result of some family commitments, I will not be transcribing Jerry Kill's comments and responses from his appearances - July 27 and August 3 - on the Sports Huddle.

Go Gophers!!

There goes the Sunday fun. I'd turn it on, but I promised myself 30 years ago to wait until I was 70+ to listen to the good neighbor...

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the advance warning. Also, have a great time and enjoy your family. Now if I can only remember where I put my Sid translation dictionary, I will be ready to listen to the program live.

Thanks for the advance warning. Also, have a great time and enjoy your family. Now if I can only remember where I put my Sid translation dictionary, I will be ready to listen to the program live.

+1 Thanks for all you do DL65! Enjoy your family time!

Enjoy the time with the family. We will muddle through.

I am not going to attempt to be DL65 and summarize today's 7-27-14 Sports Huddle but I will post the podcast as soon as it becomes available.

As a teaser I will let you know that most of the program was spent answering Sid's question "Who would be the starting now?" Well, not surprisingly he didn't really answer that question but he did give a great deal of insight as to what they are thinking. Some of the tidbits are Christenson is doing very well and will be moved to guard. Cody Poock is also doing very well and a decision will be made this week if he will participate at the beginning of camp. Also, at least one of the freshmen WR will play this fall and maybe even two. Kill did mention that several players are pushing Laurer. Kill also seemed excited about Gaelin Elmore*and Jerry Gibson. On the defensive side Kill seemed extremely excited about the depth and talent of the defensive backs (Mentioned several names positively). He also reiterated again that they will be substituting players regularly on defense. He was particularly excited about Steven Richardson who he said WILL PLAY for sure! He also mentioned that Everett Williams may play.

As far as Jeffry Jones, he did talk about his status but I am not going tell you what he said. Wait! Wait! this is just to piss you off. Just kidding:rolleyes:

I wasn't planning to post this so I am sure I am missing that several other key pieces of information. To find out what they were listen to the podcast. Lastly, DL65 please hurry back!

I am not going to attempt to be DL65 and summarize today's 7-27-14 Sports Huddle but I will post the podcast as soon as it available. As a teaser I will let you know that most of the program was spent answering Sid's question "Who would be the starting line now?" Well, not surprisingly he didn't really answer that question but he did give insight to what they are thinking. Some of the tidbits are Christenson is doing very well and will e moved to guard. Cody Poock is also doing very well and a decision will be made this week if will participate at the beginning of camp. At least on of the freshmen WR will play this fall and maybe even two. Kill mentioned that there are several players pushing Laurer. Kill also seemed excited about Gaelin Elmore*and Jerry Gibson. On the defensive side Kill seemed extremely excited about the depth and talent of the defensive backs (Mentioned several names positively). He also reiterated again that they will be substituting defensive players regularly. He was particularly excited about Steven Richardson who he said WILL PLAY for sure! He also mentioned that Everett Williams may play. I wasn't planning to post this so I am sure I am missing several other key pieces of information. To find out what they were listen to the podcast. Lastly, DL65 hurry back!

Ther

Not a bad stab at it.

Williams seems to have the size, speed and nose for the ball to make an impact right away. He touched the ball a dozen times last year and had a huge impact every time he did.

Williams: HIGH SCHOOL: Attends Mansfield Legacy High School • Broncos finished 10-3 in 2013, setting a school record for wins in a season • named to First Team Defense on the Star-Telegram 2013 Football Super Team • named to the Associated Press 4A All-State Team • made 74 tackles and notched 11 sacks as a senior • recovered three fumbles, all for touchdowns, and returned an interception for a touchdown • caught two passes on the season, one of which was a six-yard score • blocked two field goals •

Richardson seems very stout, and again, seems to have the size to play right away.

Richardson: HIGH SCHOOL: Attends Mount Carmel High School in Chicago • won back-to-back state titles, starting with the Class 8A championship in 2012 • the Caravan posted a 13-1 record en route to the 2013 Class 7A state title • tallied two sacks during the championship game, and helped Mount Carmel's defense hold its opponent to 71 yards of offense • anchored a defense that notched six shutouts and allowed more than 10 points in only four games • made 64 tackles as a senior, which included 34 tackles-for-loss and 17 sacks • forced two fumbles and recovered one fumble.

DL65 I'm glad to always hear that you're a family guy. Thanks to the other two guys who gave a stab at it...gave me some information what happened today. Hopefully much to be excited about on the football field this year.

DL65 I'm glad to always hear that you're a family guy. Thanks to the other two guys who gave a stab at it...gave me some information what happened today. Hopefully much to be excited about on the football field this year.

+1. Thank Kj and Hwy!

I'm wondering about center and whether Tommy O or Brian B will get the start? Either way, this is good news as it speaks to our depth along the O-line. If Coach Kill is excited, then I'm excited!

Go Gophers!

I am not going to attempt to be DL65 and summarize today's 7-27-14 Sports Huddle but I will post the podcast as soon as it becomes available.

As a teaser I will let you know that most of the program was spent answering Sid's question "Who would be the starting now?" Well, not surprisingly he didn't really answer that question but he did give a great deal of insight as to what they are thinking. Some of the tidbits are Christenson is doing very well and will be moved to guard. Cody Poock is also doing very well and a decision will be made this week if he will participate at the beginning of camp. Also, at least one of the freshmen WR will play this fall and maybe even two. Kill did mention that several players are pushing Laurer. Kill also seemed excited about Gaelin Elmore*and Jerry Gibson. On the defensive side Kill seemed extremely excited about the depth and talent of the defensive backs (Mentioned several names positively). He also reiterated again that they will be substituting players regularly on defense. He was particularly excited about Steven Richardson who he said WILL PLAY for sure! He also mentioned that Everett Williams may play.

As far as Jeffry Jones, he did talk about his status but I am not going tell you what he said. Wait! Wait! this is just to piss you off. Just kidding:rolleyes:

I wasn't planning to post this so I am sure I am missing that several other key pieces of information. To find out what they were listen to the podcast. Lastly, DL65 please hurry back!

DL who????

The movement in the OL has really got me wondering. Moving a C like Christenson is a big deal. Perhaps it has to do with continuity on the center pass with Leidner. Olson and Leidner must work very well together. Bobek hitting 300 pounds is a big deal too. Lauer getting pushed hard?

This OL may be shaping up as one of the best in the country.

Someone on this board knows something. Some clues, please!

I'm wondering about center and whether Tommy O or Brian B will get the start? Either way, this is good news as it speaks to our depth along the O-line. If Coach Kill is excited, then I'm excited!

Go Gophers!

I'd be shocked if it isn't Olson. He really came on last year. If i were Kill, i'd make sure Mayes follows him around. He's a highly touted kid that overcame adversity. It'll be sad to see him go, him and his brother truly understood what being an athlete at Minnesota is all about.

Let me add a few things:

Sid (for the 374th time) opened by asking about position changes. Kill said probably not, but would depend on how people perform in camp (freshmen, especially).

On the Starting Lineup question, lot of talk about OL and receivers - not as much about QB and RB's.
He said KY Maye was running well, and hinted he will play a role in the offense. Kill was really upbeat about the DB's - said their depth would allow them to move people around - even move Demarius Travis up to play LB in some sets. Also mentioned DeVondre Campbell putting on weight.

On the Jeff Jones Question - Kill said it's up to the Clearinghouse. He said (if I heard correctly) that there were some circumstances surrounding Jones' eligibility that the Clearinghouse would take under consideration - so he didn't make it sound as cut-and-dried as some think. He also said they might hear something by Aug 1st, but it could be as late as mid-August.

As noted, Sid asked about true Freshmen playing - Kill said some would - mentioned Richardson at DL and the Freshmen WR's.

That's about all I can remember now. (believe it or not, I was brushing my teeth during part of it, so I missed some parts over sound of running water.......)

Let me add a few things:

Sid (for the 374th time) opened by asking about position changes. Kill said probably not, but would depend on how people perform in camp (freshmen, especially).

On the Starting Lineup question, lot of talk about OL and receivers - not as much about QB and RB's.
He said KY Maye was running well, and hinted he will play a role in the offense. Kill was really upbeat about the DB's - said their depth would allow them to move people around - even move Demarius Travis up to play LB in some sets. Also mentioned DeVondre Campbell putting on weight.

On the Jeff Jones Question - Kill said it's up to the Clearinghouse. He said (if I heard correctly) that there were some circumstances surrounding Jones' eligibility that the Clearinghouse would take under consideration - so he didn't make it sound as cut-and-dried as some think. He also said they might hear something by Aug 1st, but it could be as late as mid-August.

As noted, Sid asked about true Freshmen playing - Kill said some would - mentioned Richardson at DL and the Freshmen WR's.

That's about all I can remember now. (believe it or not, I was brushing my teeth during part of it, so I missed some parts over sound of running water.......)

I flush the toilet AFTER I finish brushing and rinsing.

Go Gophers!

Kill/Limey have said all along that they want players who can play more than 1 position which offers them flexibility & depth along the line. We've seen Campion playing some Guard, now JC. I'm really not taking any of these changes too seriously right now. I think they just want to try a few guys out at RG to see what they have & let a few guys get some reps at the position so they have options.

Thank you Killjoy and everyone else for helping me get my weekly Gopher news/ fix!

Just think, soon we will be getting news from fall camp. Or better yet no news...

My excerpts and impressions

-Christensen coming back from injury most people don't fully recover from. Still getting his stamina back. Will rotate at guard. Kill seemed cautiously optimistic about him but seems like not fully back yet.
-Made a special point that Wolitarsky has had a great offseason.
-KJ Maye faster than ever and will be worked in
-Youshoub Timms needs to step up at DT
-Richardson will be the other backup DT
-Anticipates Jonathan Celestin has a chance to play at outside linebacker. Sounds very impressed with his speed/athleticism. He has a great highlight reel: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1779500/jonathan-celestin
-Everett Williams has a chance to play http://www.hudl.com/athlete/590636/everett-williams
-"Need" Richardson to come through at DT and believes he will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u5H8bqAhhs
-Will be hard to keep Jerry Gibson and Elmore off the field. Gibson may play at WR. I may have been mistaken but he made it sound like Elmore might play a FB type position.
-At least one freshman WR will play. Didn't name any names except the aforementioned Gibson.
-Deep and big in the secondary. May play nickel package with D. Travis.
-Jeff Jones "still finishing school" (?) and clearinghouse process/any possible appeals process need time to play out. "special circumstances" apparently. Sounded double top-secret. Could be Aug 1 or 10 before we know.

Top Bottom