Pitino's Press Conference Notes: Pre-season NIT influx, conditioning, surprises...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GopherLady

Reaction score
Richard Pitino had his 1st media availability, and here are my quick notes from it. Remember, I type as he talks, so it's not verbatim, but close:

• We have been starting workouts, we're in week 5, we've had only one team practice. I've been trying to stay away from them as much as physically possible because we didn't end until April last year, and have a lot of guys back.
• If we want to get to, Williams has to be the toughest place to play in the country. We can't lose home games.
• Andre Holins- vs. Florida State, you could tell he was hurt, he looks healthy, we gave him some rest, and is looking good.
• On having everything at Bierman, and making the pseudo practice facility - We were practicing, lifting, etc in 3 different buildings when I got here. Having them run around like that is not beneficial. What I love about it, if they go to lift, they're going to pop into my office. If they need to go from individual instruction to study hall, they just go right upstairs.
• We have faith in Norwood and what he's doing (as far as fundraising/practice facility)
• NC schedule - we're hoping it all works out, it's a little bit influx right now. They couldn't get 16 teams, and I think they're working on getting 2 games and 2 neutral games, we still want to play in it and want to make it happen. I hope we don't have to bow out, we want to make it work. We played in the Garden last year, it was a great experience. It's still influx, nothing is done yet.
• Carlos Morris has put on 17 pounds, Nate Mason looks good and put on weight, Mathieu put on 13 pounds of muscle.
• Walker put on a little more muscle, not a lot of transformation just yet
• Buggs (after surgery) has been cleared to do non-contact stuff, and by the time it's late September, he'll be good to go. It wasn't much of an emergence, he had one great game.
• Hollins soph year, he had a really good year, and he was trending toward that during the beginning for the year last year, he's a tough kid, you wouldn't notice because he smiles so much, he doesn't complain. He knows what's expected of him. I've only been around him from an hour, so it's too soon to tell. When you have 4 seniors, you hope they take different types of leadership roles.
• On sharing fatherhood with Mathieu: Whenever I see him - I say boy you're lucky, because his baby is in Kentucky. So I'm fresh off no sleep and he looks well rested. That was a great experience for him.
• Norwood has always got me doing a bunch of different things. What I love about Norwood, he lets you do your thing during the season, he knows what it takes. When it's the off season, I tell him to tell me what to do.
• It's never easy, but it's been less difficult. When they talk to me, they know we won the NIT. They understand they way that we play, it's so much less difficult. There were so many unkowns. Like me or not, but now you know what you're going to get.
• They will be releasing the non-conference schedule soon
• It's very remote, when people think of Puerto Rico, it's not in San Juan, it's on the other side of the island. It's on a coast guard base. I think we get 55-60 tickets each. My Dad already tried to steal some tickets from me, and I said no. It's not open to the public, it's on a hanger not on a ship. 10 of my Dad's tickets will be my family, so they should be rooting for me, making a little more of a home game.
• I love Josh Martin's potential, I don't know what goes on in Seattle, athletic kids. At the end of practice, I threw the ball off the end of the backboard, he caught it and did a reverse dunk. Joey King asked if he could do it too - I said no, that's not your game.
• It comes down to personnel more than anything. It's not the drills, we did those last year. Getting more quality and depth. It had it moments defensively. It's a process.
• I think it's important to have 4 seniors. Last year, we were old, but inexperienced. Now those guys will be comfortable. We don't need to talk about the crowd or endurance part of it. Hopefully they understood what kept us out of where we wanted to be last year.
• Does he know the starting 5 - no, we won't play until November.
• I stayed away from these guys for a month, I'd peek my head through the window. I let my assistants handle it. I see my players more in the weight room than the practice court, I lift with them, to strengthen our relationships.
• Pound for pound, Joey King is our strongest player…or DeAndre Mathieu.
• Last year, I didn't know our players, I didn't know how they'd take to coaching. Now we know what we have and we know what we need. The community part of it is all great too, meeting so many people.
• Wisconsin was phenomenal last year, and they are only going to get better, they are going to be the favorite going into the season only losing one player.
• We've tried to stress to them why we weren't the best we could be last year, that was defense and turnovers.
• Austin Hollins is on campus, trying to solidify things overseas.
• We only won 3 road games. You've got to be really tough to win on the road, the great teams win on the road. That mental toughness part of is was huge. We needed to beat WI to get into the NCAA tourney, and they kicked our butts.
• Eliason is under 10% body fat, which is great. They've all been very committed to getting in great shape. They know what they need to do.

I love Josh Martin's potential, I don't know what goes on in Seattle, athletic kids. At the end of practice, I threw the ball off the end of the backboard, he caught it and did a reverse dunk. Joey King asked if he could do it too - I said no, that's not your game.

LOL

Thanks GL.

Pitino seems to have a good feel for the pulse of the Gopher fan base.

Gotta' protect the home court. With this year's conference slate (no Michigan or Michigan State @ Williams), anything worse than 7-2 should be considered a failure.

Gotta' have intestinal fortitude on the road. No matter the coach, in my mind that has always been this program's biggest shortcoming. By & large the Gophers haven't had the s*ck to win truly difficult road games. Program needs to get past the point where winning 3 conference road games is considered reason for much rejoicing. The goal on the road should be to break even or thereabouts. Start doing that and we should be competing for double-byes in the BTT (top 4) and favorable NCAA seeds.

EE under 10% body fat?!?! Woah... He always looked a little chubby to me, but maybe that was just because he's so big and dopey? I wonder how much body fat he lost....

A quick and strong EE would be nice. If he could get a bit more skill in the post that would be reeeaaaallllly nice.

Good stuff. Ouch on the Buggs quote though. Hopefully something is lost in translation.

I didn't see this in the notes, but I assume Pitino said this during the press conference? If so, are these guys good to go 100%?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pitino on Konate and Dihodiou: they have both been cleared by the NCAA and will be here in the next few weeks. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Nadine Babu (@NadineBabu) <a href="https://twitter.com/NadineBabu/statuses/491656282865037314">July 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thank You Nadine!

I didn't see this in the notes, but I assume Pitino said this during the press conference? If so, are these guys good to go 100%?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pitino on Konate and Dihodiou: they have both been cleared by the NCAA and will be here in the next few weeks. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Nadine Babu (@NadineBabu) <a href="https://twitter.com/NadineBabu/statuses/491656282865037314">July 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I appreciate the entire summary very much! Thank you Nadine!

Great stuff GL, and I don't mind the typos in the write-up, but the title of the thread saying 'influx" instead of "in flux" is driving me crazy. Don't sink to Amelia's level on this. :)

Love this stuff from Pitino. I think the fan base in general has been far too understanding of home losses over the last X number of years. We can't be losing home games to Northwestern and Illinois last year (or in the Tubby years to Penn State and Michigan before Beilein really got going) as it's so tough to make up for those L's.

Very concerned that "pound for pound" Joey King or DeAndre Mathieu is our strongest player. It's not surprising, but it's going to be tough to get to where we want to go when we don't have one mean/nasty rebounder on the entire roster. What I miss a lot about the Clem days (and even the one Stamper/Puchtel Monson team) was that we had a group of guys that weren't going to get punked.

Really anxious to see what this team looks like next year and whether or not the program can take a step forward. It feels like an important year as momentum is so crucial when you don't have a program that recruits itself (and only about a dozen or so do).

Love this stuff from Pitino. I think the fan base in general has been far too understanding of home losses over the last X number of years. We can't be losing home games to Northwestern and Illinois last year (or in the Tubby years to Penn State and Michigan before Beilein really got going) as it's so tough to make up for those L's.

Very concerned that "pound for pound" Joey King or DeAndre Mathieu is our strongest player. It's not surprising, but it's going to be tough to get to where we want to go when we don't have one mean/nasty rebounder on the entire roster. What I miss a lot about the Clem days (and even the one Stamper/Puchtel Monson team) was that we had a group of guys that weren't going to get punked.

Really anxious to see what this team looks like next year and whether or not the program can take a step forward. It feels like an important year as momentum is so crucial when you don't have a program that recruits itself (and only about a dozen or so do).

You would be very concerned if Mathieu is pound for pound our strongest player after reportedly gaining 13 pounds of muscle? Have to admit I was surprised Joey King was mentioned in that sentence, but maybe he's gotten a lot stronger.

Keep in mind Gaston and Konate aren't on campus just yet... while I expect Konate will be a bit more of a finesse player, more in the mold of Gorgui Dieng (not saying he is or will be on that level), Diedhiou seems to be more of a physical power player and rebounder type.

Also, he's only 5'9", but Mathieu definitely has a toughness and edge to his game. When talking pound for pound, I'd be surprised if he isn't at the top. I took that more as a compliment to Joey than anything else.

Glad to see that he wants to win some road games!

Great stuff GL, and I don't mind the typos in the write-up, but the title of the thread saying 'influx" instead of "in flux" is driving me crazy. Don't sink to Amelia's level on this. :)

Saber, if that drives you crazy (such a minor thing at that) you are truly one crazy ba $ tard.

We will be a better rebounding team than last year regardless of who our strongest player is.

We graduated

Malik - Not a rebounder
Mav - Not a rebounder
Austin - Big peice of the rebounding pie last year, need to fill that hole
Oto - while he was a good rebounder for us last year, he didn't play a whole lot

The rest of the gang is going to get tougher and understand how to play together which will beget more team rebounding. Add in Martin who is a beast, Mason who looks like a no nonsense type of guard, a healthy Andre and lil Dre was actually quite aggressive on the boards for his size last year and he's reportedly gotten stronger.

We were a bad rebounding team last year, we wont be worse.

EE under 10% body fat?!?! Woah... He always looked a little chubby to me, but maybe that was just because he's so big and dopey? I wonder how much body fat he lost....

A quick and strong EE would be nice. If he could get a bit more skill in the post that would be reeeaaaallllly nice.
I have a big problem with the big and dopey comment. These guys play for us, have a little class. He is a good kid who is working harder than most of us did in college.

I have a big problem with the big and dopey comment. These guys play for us, have a little class. He is a good kid who is working harder than most of us did in college.

You have a problem with that? He just believed he was a little slow/out of shape and needed to get quicker. It wasn't even a personal shot at Elliott.

Right on brother

You have a problem with that? He just believed he was a little slow/out of shape and needed to get quicker. It wasn't even a personal shot at Elliott.

Denial is not a river in Egypt, it's you looking at dopey and saying it's not personal. You, sir, are dopey.

I love Joey, but either he is a lot stronger than he looks, or we have a pretty weak team. Mathieu is a beast though. He's definitely the strongest pound for pound player on the team.

Then just say he's slow and a little out of shape.

If someone called me big and dopey, yes, I'd take that pretty personally. Ditto to what corcoran said.

Well guys... I'm quite shocked to be honest, I'm 100% sure players/coaches have been called worse and in the context of making fun of them on this board and received half of the criticism my ill worded comment got. That said I apologize if I offended anyone.

It was not my intent to personally attack EE, if I wanted to personally attack EE I would have approached him personally and told him how I felt about him, which likely would have been a positive exchange as I feel EE is a very solid basketball player and absolutely a stand up representative of my favorite university.

My usage of the word dopey was not intended to call him stupid, slow or idiotic. "Big and Dopey" in that post, was a phrase to describe the way I perceived him to move on the court. I was using it in the context of saying I might have misread how physically gifted in terms of fitness he was prior to this year. The comment after my "big and dopey" comment was one where I expressed excitement for a leaner EE. In no way did I expect/or want anyone to take that as me questioning EE's worth to the UofM and I'm sorry it was taken that way.

I'll mind my words a bit better while attempting to describe a players movement in the future.

...if I wanted to personally attack EE I would have approached him personally and told him how I felt about him...

Now you're just digging yourself out of hole. I don't think people are quite as outraged as you think they are. It came across as a pot shot. Just say, "my bad" and move on.

Now you're just digging yourself out of hole. I don't think people are quite as outraged as you think they are. It came across as a pot shot. Just say, "my bad" and move on.

:pig:

I don't think anyone is outraged. However, 3 or 4 people commented on my use of the word "dopey", I'm a little miffed.... As far as me digging myself out of a hole, absolutely, I didn't feel like I should have offended anyone, and I stated as such. If I did offend someone, I truly am sorry. I'll move on as soon as we find someone else's posts to analyze.

I think everyone is extremely bored and we need some goddamn football/basketball news to keep us busy, nothing more nothing less.

:pig:

I don't think anyone is outraged. However, 3 or 4 people commented on my use of the word "dopey", I'm a little miffed.... As far as me digging myself out of a hole, absolutely, I didn't feel like I should have offended anyone, and I stated as such. If I did offend someone, I truly am sorry. I'll move on as soon as we find someone else's posts to analyze.

I think everyone is extremely bored and we need some goddamn football/basketball news to keep us busy, nothing more nothing less.

I'd only use the word dopey when referring to WI and IA players. Seems way more fitting.

Joey King

Like most of us suspected, Joey king was not 6-9 and 220- like listed if he is to be considered the strongest pound for pound on the team. If the hulk is 230, that would just be 10 more lbs and he looks way more built then king. Maybe he meant pound for pound toughest. Now that Oto is gone.. who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom