FSN: Gophers positional preview: Wide receivers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Best position battle: Minnesota's No. 1 receiver last year was Derrick Engel, who had 25 catches for 401 yards and tied for the team lead with five touchdowns. Now that Engel has graduated, though, the search is on for the top target for quarterback Mitch Leidner.

Based solely on results from 2013, it appears as if Wolitarsky has the best shot at becoming the Gophers' leading receiver as a sophomore in 2014. At 6-foot-3, 226 pounds, Wolitarsky provides a big target, and he showed good hands and a good vertical as a freshman. Jones is still learning the position a bit, so he may be a bit behind the learning curve compared to Wolitarsky. Still, both should see reps on the first-team offense. Now it's a matter of who the No. 1 receiver is.

Drew Wolitarsky says: "At the beginning of the season, I didn't play much, but they started trusting me more and more and I started making more plays for them. They told me that if I were to work hard and get bigger, stronger, faster, then I'd have a shot. I took advantage of that."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/gophers-positional-preview-wide-receivers-072214

Go Gophers!!

Memo to FSN, the one position where pure talent can lead to playing time as a freshman is wide receiver. It was only 5 months ago, and the hole was a buzz when Melvin Holland signed, looking at his tape I think the prize in Isaiah Gentry. And Conner Krizanic makes it three big receivers at least in the mix.

Top Bottom