Winnable Games 2014

gophersfan

Reaction score
So of these games. Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, TCU. Just these games, which one in your oponion is a winnable game or games.

I going to say Iowa is a winnable game, maybe Nebraska and TCU.

We won't beat Ohio State. Any of the others I feel we have a chance in...although I'll never feel optimistic about Wisconsin until the next time it actually happens

OSU would be the toughest, followed by Nebraska and Wisconsin, as 2a. and 2b. Michigan, TCU and Iowa all have questions and could be considered fairly equal. I would also throw Northwestern into that group. Win three of the seven the three remaining out of conference games and Illinois and Purdue and we're back at 8 wins. I think we match up well with TCU, Northwestern, and Iowa, possibly we will catch Michigan before their Offensive Line jells. An upset of either Wisconsin or Nebraska is possible. I just don't think we have the athletes to challenge Ohio State a win against them would be more of a case of them beating themselves.

TCU and Iowa are the only games we should consider winnable...although we'll be underdogs in both games. The other ones should be considered "program-changing" upsets.

I would say Wisconsin is not going happen this year seeing as they are at the end of an almost impossible 4 game stretch.

If you can play defense and control time of possession by running the ball, you have a chance to win any game.

They're all winnable, at least in my terms of winnable, which personally means that I don't see the other team as having to beat themselves as the sole way we can win. This team is built to be in every game until the end since we should have the ability to pound the rock. Only game I see as a real long stretch is OSU, but who knows, outdoors in November against a speed based team with us at home could have all the makings of an upset. I don't see anything as a program changing type of win unless it becomes circumstantial. This team is expected to be in the running come November. No one is truly head and shoulders picked to be the best this year; everyone has question marks, even the supposed big dogs in the conference.

If you were really grading them at a difficulty, in my eyes it'd be as follows:

OSU at about a 9 for difficulty; New line coming in for them though so if Miller goes down, all bets are off in this one.
Wisconsin at a 7.5; on the road, haven't beaten them in seemingly forever but that could be motivating. If this team is in the running or has the chance to knock Wisconsin out of the BT championship, it could get extremely intense. you never know what can happen in a rivalry game.
Nebraska at a 7; not sold on their QB situation yet and I'd take our defense over theirs; Lincoln is a tough place to play; If things don't work out this year for Nebby, Pelini could be coaching for his job by this point with 4 games that could provide some challenges for Big Red before this point.
Michigan at a 6 purely based on this one being on the road. These 2 teams appear to be headed in opposite directions with Michigan trending down. I think we will be inspired after a 4-0 start and think we can take this one for sure. Really only see Michigan as favored for being at home and having name recognition.
TCU at a 6 based on this being on the road and in the Texas heat and that they have time to prepare for us. It's our only NC road game but TCU only has one tune up prior against Samford. We should have figured out our identity by this point and I feel we're the better team as it sits right now. But TCU will have the edge in prep time and the homefield
Iowa at a 5. Honestly I expect us to be 6-2 at least with 7-1 or 8-0 a possibility at this point. And I wouldn't be shocked to see Iowa at near the same record as they have a favorable slate prior to playing us. But we get 2 weeks to prep for this, the crowd should be raucous if we play to our potential and win the games we should, and Mitch should have truly settled in by then. The plays were there to beat them last year and it'll be plays like the ones we missed that will dictate if we can pull it off this year.

So I view most of them as definitely in striking distance for us. November is going to be a hell of a month for our team. We'll definitely see then how much progress we've made.

I would say Wisconsin is not going happen this year seeing as they are at the end of an almost impossible 4 game stretch.

depends. Wisc plays at Iowa the week before and vs. Neb before that so they have a tough couple games leading into it as well. The emotions could be entirely flipped. We might be feeling high after winning in Lincoln and they might be down after a loss at Iowa. It's impossible to know, but I wouldn't say that the 4 game stretch entirely deflates our chances. Usually it seems like the 3rd of a 4 game stretch is the letdown game (not accounting for injury or things of that nature)

This year we beat - Michigan and Iowa. Camp Randall is tough but the Badgers had better take us pretty seriously too. JK and the Gophers will show up with a chip on!

I am fully expecting us to beat Iowa and TCU. Also we did have a better conference and overall record again Michigan and we beat Nebraska by double digits last year. Wisconsin also graduates their entire front 7 on D, their best DB and top 3 receivers. Just saying.

TCU and Iowa are the only games we should consider winnable...although we'll be underdogs in both games. The other ones should be considered "program-changing" upsets.

If we would consider beating a Michigan team coming off of a 3-5 conference season to be a program changing upset, then we aren't where I think we are. I don't think there is any one game that we have to write off. Last year, we went toe-to-toe with the B1G champ (and first B1G Rose Bowl champ in quite a while) on the road.

You simply never know in college football.
There are circumstances that always play into the outcomes of these games beyond the personnel, matchups on paper, history, etc that are obvious.

Weather? Key injuries? Coaching turmoil?

What happens if Pelini is sitting at 5 losses when we roll into town?
What about if it's 15 degrees and snowing in Madison on Nov 29?
What if OSU comes into town with an injured Braxton Miller?
Things happen, the B1G is a grind and you simply never know what the season can bring as far as attrition or distractions.

I love what Kill has set up in our team identity. Running the ball and shortening the game along with limiting key mistakes gives you a chance to win every time.
Should be a fun season, all of those games will be good ones IMO.

If we would consider beating a Michigan team coming off of a 3-5 conference season to be a program changing upset, then we aren't where I think we are.

I think we're a program that's been curbstomped 135-26 by Michigan the past three years. I can see it being program changing if a win means MN is 4-1 or 5-0 with games against NW, PUR and ILL to follow. Guessing we'd see a pretty great environment for the NW game.

Winnable? All but Ohio State.

A good chance to win? Probably just TCU and Iowa.

The only program changing win would be coming into the OSU game with only a loss and beating them in a nationally televised game. Any one win is not a program changer, even OSU in a 3-4 loss type year. Building up expectations for a big game with a title on the line and winning is a program change, taking us beyond mason.

The only program changing win would be coming into the OSU game with only a loss and beating them in a nationally televised game. Any one win is not a program changer, even OSU in a 3-4 loss type year. Building up expectations for a big game with a title on the line and winning is a program change, taking us beyond mason.
Wisconsin would be just because the the rivalry and the 10 game losing streak but if we were to beat a team just as talented as Wisconsin on the road it would not be a program changer.

Wisconsin would be just because the the rivalry and the 10 game losing streak but if we were to beat a team just as talented as Wisconsin on the road it would not be a program changer.

I refuse to agree. It would be incredibly pathetic to view beating Wisconsin as program changing.

I refuse to agree. It would be incredibly pathetic to view beating Wisconsin as program changing.

No single game is program changing. We beat OSU this year 99.9% of highly touted recruits wouldn't somehow change their perspective on the two programs. The likelihood that they'd even alter their perception seems remote to me.

Back in 2007/2008 I'm sure Illinois fans were thinking that they had hit the turning point with a trip to the Rose Bowl. Same for Northwestern back in 1995/1996. Those trips were made after a long string of improbable wins that culminated in the biggest bowl either of those programs can realistically hope to achieve. A few years later Northwestern was back to being mediocre (or awful) and Illinois realized that maybe Zook wasn't the savior afterall.

I guess my point is that there is no magic pill (or game) that will transform the perception of Minnesota overnight and thus nothing that can be considered 'program changing'. Beat the teams on your schedule, do it more consistently over time and gradually the perception can be chipped away at and remolded.

No single game is program changing. We beat OSU this year 99.9% of highly touted recruits wouldn't somehow change their perspective on the two programs. The likelihood that they'd even alter their perception seems remote to me.

Back in 2007/2008 I'm sure Illinois fans were thinking that they had hit the turning point with a trip to the Rose Bowl. Same for Northwestern back in 1995/1996. Those trips were made after a long string of improbable wins that culminated in the biggest bowl either of those programs can realistically hope to achieve. A few years later Northwestern was back to being mediocre (or awful) and Illinois realized that maybe Zook wasn't the savior afterall.

I guess my point is that there is no magic pill (or game) that will transform the perception of Minnesota overnight and thus nothing that can be considered 'program changing'. Beat the teams on your schedule, do it more consistently over time and gradually the perception can be chipped away at and remolded.

Well call it what you want but beating OSU or Wisconsin would be considered HUGE milestones for Kill. That is what we mean by program changing. Nebraska may not have been a "program changer" but it was definitely a big milestone and sign of progress.

Well call it what you want but beating OSU or Wisconsin would be considered HUGE milestones for Kill. That is what we mean by program changing. Nebraska may not have been a "program changer" but it was definitely a big milestone and sign of progress.

I guess that's my issue right there. Many, last year, clamored program changer and now want to redefine it to something meaningful but slightly less than 'program changing' when the changes haven't resulted in much in terms of upticks in recruiting.

Which was Illinois' Rose Bowl? A 'program changer' or a 'sign of progress'? That's the reason I'm hesitant to assign so much emphasis to any one, particular, game against anyone.

I guess that's my issue right there. Many, last year, clamored program changer and now want to redefine it to something meaningful but slightly less than 'program changing' when the changes haven't resulted in much in terms of upticks in recruiting.

Which was Illinois' Rose Bowl? A 'program changer' or a 'sign of progress'? That's the reason I'm hesitant to assign so much emphasis to any one, particular, game against anyone.

Good points. But IMO a nationally televised game against an OSU where we have 0-1 losses and they are undefeated would be program CHANGING. Not blue blood status. But a game that will change the perception of the program and what's possible. I think Illinois beating OSU in 06 or whatever on the road was program changing for them. It doesn't mean the work stops, you can still fall off the map.

tOSU is the only game not winnable. That and & NE are the only games we will lose this year. 10-2.

There's a reason games are played on the field and not on paper..

Well.... Are you going to tell us what it is or just leave us hanging?

Pretty sure record predictions are allowed on a message board. Even the GH police likely don't have an issue with that.

They are all winnable. If any aren't, then give up now and don't play the damned game.

They are all winnable. If any aren't, then give up now and don't play the damned game.
Sure they are, but some will be harder than others, so there is nothing wrong with ranking them!

Sure they are, but some will be harder than others, so there is nothing wrong with ranking them!

Very true, but then winnable is the wrong word. Best chance to win, maybe.

Mike, I never said some will or won't be tougher than others. I just said they are all winnable. That doesn't mean "win them all easily".

Top Bottom