Opening game has all the ingredients of a sellout.

Reaction score
1.6:00 start
2.Lots of people in town for the State Fair
3.Great time span for tailgating.
4. Dismal Twins season.
5. Anticipation ( Are we moving past the Mason level ? )
6. Berkley Edwards ( Is he lighting in a bottle per the coaches, or heaven forbid, another Harold Howell)
7. A great time for the students, especially those that work during the day.
8. Mitch....
9. Curiosity ( the new bleacher section. We have friends going down because they've Viking season tickets and have never been too TCF stadium and want to see the venue.)
10. Openers are fun and attract the casual fan. Look.how many people do the fishing opener and then don't wet a line again the rest of the year.

Just don't mention "Eastern Illinois" to anyone and we should be good to go!

1. Many folks have issue with 6pm weeknight start.
3. U doesn't open lots till 3.

I happen to agree with your post, but think the U could improve on 1 & 3 and make a HUGE difference.

I happen to agree with your post, but think the U could improve on 1 & 3 and make a HUGE difference.

I believe it is the start of Labor Day weekend, so I don't think this will cause a concern.

I hate to say this to you, but this game is not going to be a sellout, no way in hell. Who would want to come to a game vs Eastern Illinois.

3? Seriously? Thank goodness for the River Flats.

Casual Gopher fans that I know thought the loss to Syracuse was a big deal. They are intrigued and want to see what happens, but aren't going to show up in masses for Eastern Illinois, especially Thursday night at 6:00.

I hate to say this to you, but this game is not going to be a sellout, no way in hell. Who would want to come to a game vs Eastern Illinois.

Yep, should be a nice sized crowd (45,000?) but Eastern Illinois is not the kind of team that will draw in enough casual fans to pack the place.

6:00 kills. I'll get maybe a half hour of tailgating in if I'm lucky.

Me and about a dozen friends, to name a few.
You can stay home and complain from there.

I'm flying into town for the weekend. State fair is on the agenda and so is a Thursday night game opener at TCF!

I'm flying into town for the weekend. State fair is on the agenda and so is a Thursday night game opener at TCF!

I'm with Philly. I really like a Thursday night opener. 6:00 PM is great for me as I only complain about 11:00 AM starts. A day at the fair followed by Gopher football is a real Gopher twofer! Embrace it!!!

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

Any word on something actually being set up between the fair and the U transportation to the stadium or same as last year?

Wouldn't work. Makes too much sense.

Me and about a dozen friends, to name a few.
You can stay home and complain from there.

Don't think he was complaining just pointing out that the game won't be a sellout. Of course the people that post here are going to be jacked up about the game but to the casual fan trying to decide how to spend their limited entertainment dollar I don't think there are going to be enough of them out there willing to toss it towards the U for a game against Eastern Illinois. At least not enough of them to make the game a sellout. As I said earlier I would expect a nice sized crowd for the game but it won't be close to sold out when it is all said and done.

I would think the U is pointing toward a sellout . I wouldn't be surprised to see some type of ticket promotion other than
the Two Pack.

Additionally, and I hate to say this, light rail access. If you are south of the cities you are golden. If you are in Saint Paul you are covered, Minneapolis, Big Lake. Ease of access getting there.

I think it's going to be one of the rowdiest openers in a while...the fan base is pumped up about the future

2.Lots of people in town for the State Fair
4. Dismal Twins season.
5. Anticipation ( Are we moving past the Mason level ? )
6. Berkley Edwards ( Is he lighting in a bottle per the coaches, or heaven forbid, another Harold Howell)
7. A great time for the students, especially those that work during the day.
8. Mitch....
9. Curiosity ( the new bleacher section. We have friends going down because they've Viking season tickets and have never been too TCF stadium and want to see the venue.)
10. Openers are fun and attract the casual fan. Look.how many people do the fishing opener and then don't wet a line again the rest of the year.

You could have written all of these last year. Just substitute Phil for Mitch.

I would be surprised with a sellout, but there should be a decent crowd. Thr opponent isn't a huge draw and it isn't very likely they will bring in a lot of visiting fans, but not playing on Labor Day weekend is a plus. This way, no one has to choose between their weekend plans and the game.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

I saw us in a pretty much even game through 3 quarters versus Western Illinois last year. Could be a game if we don't come out firing on all cylinders.

Sure, this has "ALL THE INGREDIENTS" for a sellout. It is to bad that the chef works at Taco Bell.

That said, I will certainly be at the game regardless.

With the first game happening during Welcome Week, I'd expect a solid student section.

I would expect a pretty timid student section since the newbies won't really know what to do during the game. Full? At least for the first half. Rowdy? Depends on if the Gophers come out firing on all cylinders.

Additionally, and I hate to say this, light rail access. If you are south of the cities you are golden. If you are in Saint Paul you are covered, Minneapolis, Big Lake. Ease of access getting there.

Not from Big Lake Husker as the Northstar gets to Target Field at 5:55pm and no train going north after the game. We may try out the new Green Line from somewhere east on University Ave. and see how it works instead of our usual park and 10 minute walk to TCF.

Wish the new Surly's was open but it looks like that won't happen until sometime in November.

I would expect a pretty timid student section since the newbies won't really know what to do during the game. Full? At least for the first half. Rowdy? Depends on if the Gophers come out firing on all cylinders.

They'll probably give a free ticket to all the freshmen to fill it up this year like they did last year.

So if it's anything like last year, there will be a bunch of 18 year old girls and guys trying to look cool and not get too enthusiastic for fear of getting made fun of. And the rouser will be off beat.

But if everything goes well, we'll score 50 points again.

The opening game is an official Welcome Week activity. The freshmen will be given a ticket and dinner at the stadium. The U did a great job with this last year. The freshmen were taught school cheers and traditions the night before the game, and they came in all fired up for the game. There is also a dance for the students at McNamara after the game. The U is trying to get the students involved.

If we get 43,000 in the seats I will be happy. Maybe offer free admission to anyone who goes to the State Fair?

Top Bottom