Big 12 Commish: People are Cheating and Getting Away With It

Iceland12

Reaction score
"Enforcement is broken," he said. "The infractions committee hasn't had [an FBS] hearing in almost a year, and I think it's not an understatement to say cheating pays presently. If you seek to conspire to certainly bend the rules, you can do it successfully and probably not get caught in most occasions."
Bowlsby added that he didn't think cheating was necessarily rampant in college sports. But he painted a bleak outlook for the future NCAA..

Bowlsby, however, came to the defense of the collegiate model, which has come under criticism. He argued against the unionization of college athletes, noting that in his opinion, "student-athletes are not employees." He also said it wouldn't be fair to pay football players but not female student-athletes.

"It is hard to justify paying student-athletes in football and men's basketball and not recognizing the significant effort that swimmers and wrestlers and lacrosse players and track athletes all put in," he said. "Football and basketball players don't work any harder than anybody else; they just happen to have the blessing of an adoring public who is willing to pay for the tickets and willing to buy the products on television that come with the high visibility.

"We have both a legal obligation and a moral obligation to do for female student-athletes and male Olympic sports athletes just exactly what we do for football and basketball student-athletes. I don't think it's even debatable."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...er-says-cheating-pays-ncaa-enforcement-broken

Completely agree. You can't pay athletes in football and basketball and not the rest. They may be the sports that bring in revenue, but all college athletes will demand (rightly so) to be treated equally. So the cost of stipends and paying athletes is going to be a lot. Granted football alone has almost as many scholarship athletes as all the non-revenue sports combined. So it isn't that significantly more (roughly twice as many as basketball+football as opposed to 10 times more).

sorry double post. please delete.

I might be the outlier here but I see no reason all athletes need to be treated equally. They may WANT to be treated equally but if they bring in no revenue why should they also be paid? Sorry, I just don't see the need. If you don't like it don't play.

I might be the outlier here but I see no reason all athletes need to be treated equally. They may WANT to be treated equally but if they bring in no revenue why should they also be paid? Sorry, I just don't see the need. If you don't like it don't play.

Welcome to 2014, zman. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Title 9 is the reason male and female athletes need to be treated equally.

As for the argument about enforcement, the NCAA enforcement is a joke. PR trumps deterrence in their disciplinary decisions.

"Enforcement is broken," he said. "The infractions committee hasn't had [an FBS] hearing in almost a year, and I think it's not an understatement to say cheating pays presently. If you seek to conspire to certainly bend the rules, you can do it successfully and probably not get caught in most occasions."
Bowlsby added that he didn't think cheating was necessarily rampant in college sports. But he painted a bleak outlook for the future NCAA..

Bowlsby, however, came to the defense of the collegiate model, which has come under criticism. He argued against the unionization of college athletes, noting that in his opinion, "student-athletes are not employees." He also said it wouldn't be fair to pay football players but not female student-athletes.

"It is hard to justify paying student-athletes in football and men's basketball and not recognizing the significant effort that swimmers and wrestlers and lacrosse players and track athletes all put in," he said. "Football and basketball players don't work any harder than anybody else; they just happen to have the blessing of an adoring public who is willing to pay for the tickets and willing to buy the products on television that come with the high visibility.

"We have both a legal obligation and a moral obligation to do for female student-athletes and male Olympic sports athletes just exactly what we do for football and basketball student-athletes. I don't think it's even debatable."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...er-says-cheating-pays-ncaa-enforcement-broken

So: the coaches who earn millions and millions are CHEATING and are getting by with it, hoping to increase their outrageous pay checks even more. It is just fine to pay football coaches and men's basketball coaches MUCH more than the coaches of the non-revenue sports ten...fifteen...twenty times as much as the non-revenue sports. However they can not unionize the players OR treat the football and basketball players who sell all the tickets and generate all the income that pays the football and basketball coaches so much MORE than the non-revenue coaches.

IF it's not fair to pay the players who generate all the interest and revenue how is it right to pay a football coach more than a swimming coach?

This Bowlsbie statement reeks of an iowa hog lot. He must have spent entirely too much time in iowa.

Perhaps he should champion cutting the outrageous salaries of conference commissioners, football coaches, athletic directors and the people who reap all the $$$$ rewards of the football and men's hoops windfalls.
No unions for student athletes and NO multi-million dollar wages for the coaches of these student athletes!

End the cheating by ending the multi-million dollar pay days for those damn cheating coaches and athletic directors and conference commissioners and college and university prexys...

As for the argument about enforcement, the NCAA enforcement is a joke. PR trumps deterrence in their disciplinary decisions.

Great. Treat the women football players the same as the men. Treat the women golfers the same as men golfers. I don't see why gender means football players and women gymnasts need to be treated the same.

Great. Treat the women football players the same as the men. Treat the women golfers the same as men golfers. I don't see why gender means football players and women gymnasts need to be treated the same.

You may feel that way but I am afraid you don't understand Title 9 and politics of it.:rolleyes:
But based on recent Supreme Court cases who knows?

What a load of crap! College is supposed to educate our young adults to prepare them for the real world. Gee is 18 too young to understand that you get paid for what you produce? If female and male LaCrosse players want to get paid what football players might get paid, then play naked. It's the only way people will pay $$$ to watch them. Guess what else? The young man majoring in Art History isn't likely to start out poste grad making as much $$$ as the young lady with a degree in Electrical Engineering. Boo Hoo. It's the real world, folks.

Oh, yeah, Prince makes more money in a concert that a poet does in a coffee house reading and a real good looking athletic young lady can make more $$$ on the pole than that electrical engineer I mentioned above sitting at her computer.

Is it right? Who knows. But it's real.

Football and volleyball are not equal sports. Therefore, on a compensation basis they need not be treated equally.

Football and volleyball are not equal sports. Therefore, on a compensation basis they need not be treated equally.

Under Title 9, they do. I'm no champion of Title 9, but as it is currently written and interpreted, there is no "revenue sports" exception. That is why the number of mens football scholarships need to be balanced out somewhere even though football programs frequently help pay for other sports programs.

Completely agree with your sentiment. Even if it is not considered a "politically correct" sentiment by some here on GH.

So: the coaches who earn millions and millions are CHEATING and are getting by with it, hoping to increase their outrageous pay checks even more. It is just fine to pay football coaches and men's basketball coaches MUCH more than the coaches of the non-revenue sports ten...fifteen...twenty times as much as the non-revenue sports. However they can not unionize the players OR treat the football and basketball players who sell all the tickets and generate all the income that pays the football and basketball coaches so much MORE than the non-revenue coaches.

IF it's not fair to pay the players who generate all the interest and revenue how is it right to pay a football coach more than a swimming coach?

This Bowlsbie statement reeks of an iowa hog lot. He must have spent entirely too much time in iowa.

Perhaps he should champion cutting the outrageous salaries of conference commissioners, football coaches, athletic directors and the people who reap all the $$$$ rewards of the football and men's hoops windfalls.
No unions for student athletes and NO multi-million dollar wages for the coaches of these student athletes!

End the cheating by ending the multi-million dollar pay days for those damn cheating coaches and athletic directors and conference commissioners and college and university prexys...

Surprisingly I liked where you were going with this.........until you just had to go and through "prexy" in yet another post of yours. Come on man, come on. ;)

Well it kind of works like this. The federal government says it's fine if you don't, but they'll be keeping the checkbook closed on all federal aid to your school if you do. So it's not even a question of whether this aid will be extended to all. It will.

cheating college sports?

has been a topic since the beginning of college athletics. I saw an article in a copy of a 1926 Captial Times that had WI and MN accusing of each other of fielding FB players who were not students.

has been a topic since the beginning of college athletics. I saw an article in a copy of a 1926 Captial Times that had WI and MN accusing of each other of fielding FB players who were not students.

Sounds like a Badger tactic. Cheaters.

Under Title 9, they do. I'm no champion of Title 9, but as it is currently written and interpreted, there is no "revenue sports" exception. That is why the number of mens football scholarships need to be balanced out somewhere even though football programs frequently help pay for other sports programs.

And the truth is football scholarships are NOT balanced out by women's scholarships in any University that still awards scholarships. There are no other sports that get 85 scholarships period. So the truth is, every single school that still awards scholarships and has a football program has never been in compliance with the actual text of the law since the day it was passed. That said, the spirit of the law was to give more women chances and as long as schools moved in that direction then they were not sued or found to not be in compliance. There also were a few schools who responded with dropping collegiate athletics altogether.

Only paying players for revenue sports seems like it would create competitive unbalance within a single sport. Does that mean we can pay our men's hockey players but Michigan State can't pay theirs? Does UConn get to pay their women's basketball players, but we can't pay ours? Or do you just say, just for competitive balance, only football and men's basketball players get paid, no other athletes get paid, even if their programs run in the black, such as Minnesota men's hockey and UConn women's basketball?

Only paying players for revenue sports seems like it would create competitive unbalance within a single sport. Does that mean we can pay our men's hockey players but Michigan State can't pay theirs? Does UConn get to pay their women's basketball players, but we can't pay ours? Or do you just say, just for competitive balance, only football and men's basketball players get paid, no other athletes get paid, even if their programs run in the black, such as Minnesota men's hockey and UConn women's basketball?

And can you only pay scholarship athletes, or walk-ons too? And would partial scholarship athletes only get partial stipends?

Surprisingly I liked where you were going with this.........until you just had to go and through "prexy" in yet another post of yours. Come on man, come on. ;)

Glad to hear that all it takes is a prexy" here or there to muck your world. Now that is what I call funny notsosupadupa. You need to be a little more mentally tough, fly. How the heck can you call yourself "supadupa" when a "prexy" makes you ***wink*** blink and beg like a little tyke. Come on fly...

Yep! That would be wren, or as I prefer to say, Chance from Bring There meets wren.

You cant even get your own simple-minded little attempt at a put-down right can you killjoy? What a screw-up YOU are killjoy. You wanted to say "...being there..." Not: " ...BRING THERE..." Now, should THAT have been so incredibly difficult for you to have gotten right? But, that's right: killjoy NEVER gets it done and he NEVER does it right.

killjoy: you are so incredibly incompetent that you can't even "bring" it when you are trying to deliver one of your incredibly STUPID little things as you try so desperately to comment about ME. You are inadequate killjoy. You try to make the majority of the content about what you try to post about ME...I let it go most of the time because it really is totally thoughtless and no one else who reads this football forum either gives a damn about you or about me. So cut it out killjoy.

Now, quit following me around the HOLE football message board and finally make a cash contribution to THIS Site. GOPHERHOLE is the BEST site about Gopher Football and the ONLY site even worth mentioning.

wren, you complaining about a typo is the height of hypocrisy.

...simple-minded... What a screw-up YOU are killjoy. ...should THAT been so incredibly difficult for you to have gotten right? But, that's right: killjoy NEVER gets it done and he NEVER does it right. killjoy: you are so incredibly incompetent... You are inadequate killjoy.

I let it go most of the time...

So this is your idea of "let(tig) it go?

Mods...he's wandered back into familiar territory. It is time (once again) to think about banning this jack-hole.

Oh...and wren, since you love this soooooo much and can't stop talking about it, this one is for you:

FsAm1.gif

You cant even get your own simple-minded little attempt at a put-down right can you killjoy? What a screw-up YOU are killjoy. You wanted to say "...being there..." Not: " ...BRING THERE..." Now, should THAT have been so incredibly difficult for you to have gotten right? But, that's right: killjoy NEVER gets it done and he NEVER does it right.

killjoy: you are so incredibly incompetent that you can't even "bring" it when you are trying to deliver one of your incredibly STUPID little things as you try so desperately to comment about ME. You are inadequate killjoy. You try to make the majority of the content about what you try to post about ME...I let it go most of the time because it really is totally thoughtless and no one else who reads this football forum either gives a damn about you or about me. So cut it out killjoy.

Now, quit following me around the HOLE football message board and finally make a cash contribution to THIS Site. GOPHERHOLE is the BEST site about Gopher Football and the ONLY site even worth mentioning.

LOL - The reason you believe that the GopherHole is the best site is that none of the other sites would put up with your crap. Speaking of contributions, the best one you could make would be to stop babbling here. Now that would be per Mastercard priceless.

wren, you complaining about a typo is the height of hypocrisy.

So this is your idea of "let(tig) it go?

Mods...he's wandered back into familiar territory. It is time (once again) to think about banning this jack-hole.

Oh...and wren, since you love this soooooo much and can't stop talking about it, this one is for you:

FsAm1.gif

I guarantee that is NOT me looking for wren's real head!!!

Oh, never mind, we found the schidthead afterall. :cry:

Glad to hear that all it takes is a prexy" here or there to muck your world. Now that is what I call funny notsosupadupa. You need to be a little more mentally tough, fly. How the heck can you call yourself "supadupa" when a "prexy" makes you ***wink*** blink and beg like a little tyke. Come on fly...

Seriously, WTF are you even talking about Wren?! You lost me after the first sentence. smh...

Top Bottom