OT: Colorado State wants to build an on campus stadium

KD6-3.7

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
Mortenson has been hired to build it and David Crum is the lead man at CSU and came to Fort Collins after playing "a lead role in securing the necessary funds for the Golden Gophers' on-campus TCF Bank Stadium, which opened in 2009."

There is a lot of opposition to the stadium, but the school is pressing forward. Hughes Stadium is alright, although I haven't been there (I plan to be there on September 12 of 2015 when the Gophers roll into town), it's definitely serviceable. But it is about 5 miles from campus at the base of the foothills. It's scenic, but has horrible access (all traffic flows from the east).

4739136295_6094e5f43e_z.jpg

The athletic department has been pretty quiet on the money that the school has raised. The school has pledged to pay for half (which I think was the situation at Minnesota), but the total cost went from $125 million to $250. This makes it pretty close to the cost of TCF (and I wouldn't be surprised if the cost continues to climb). The new stadium will be a 40,000 seat venue, though I'd be surprised if it gets filled when CSU averages about 18,000 per game at Hughes Stadium.

Anyway, I though I'd share because of the Minnesota connections.

Wow, that's quite the aerial view of the landscape and surrounding area of the stadium. I'm really looking forward to going to that game next year when the Gophers make the trek!

Go Gophers!!

Definitely on my list of future road trips (the game vs. the Gophers).

My brother might be moving out to Fort Collins too, so this would be cool.

Our group went to Colorado State the last time the Gophers played there, around a decade ago. We had a great time. I thought the stadium was great, and the tailgating scene was outstanding. The Gophers cruised to a victory which made the trip even better.

I'd consider this trip again. If you're going with a group, it's a doable drive.

Great to see yet another move back to campus. I think we began this trek. Houston and Tulane are on board. Miami was looking at a proposal to get back closer to Coral Cables. The next team I would like to see move to a stadium on campus is Syracuse. They play it that multi use dome reminiscent of the Dump. Having abandon the outdoor stadium that saw all the greats. Good luck, CSU!!

Great to see yet another move back to campus. I think we began this trek. Houston and Tulane are on board. Miami was looking at a proposal to get back closer to Coral Cables. The next team I would like to see move to a stadium on campus is Syracuse. They play it that multi use dome reminiscent of the Dump. Having abandon the outdoor stadium that saw all the greats. Good luck, CSU!!

The Carrier dome is on campus. All domes suck, but at least in this case it's on campus.

Is that a giant dam right behind the stadium? Imagine if that ever broke. Their stadium would be quite submerged. Not sure that was the best place to plot a stadium in the first place. Just my opinion. Not a hydrologist obviously.

Personally Pitt is the team I'd like to see get back on campus, if I had to choose.

Is that a giant dam right behind the stadium? Imagine if that ever broke. Their stadium would be quite submerged. Not sure that was the best place to plot a stadium in the first place. Just my opinion. Not a hydrologist obviously.

If the dam broke that would be one of many concerns. From my perspective, if that went into their decision on where to place the stadium they should begin reinforcing it immediately regardless of if they decide to build a new stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We shouldn't build anything anywhere because something might happen. Sheesh.

Our group went to Colorado State the last time the Gophers played there, around a decade ago. We had a great time. I thought the stadium was great, and the tailgating scene was outstanding. The Gophers cruised to a victory which made the trip even better.

I'd consider this trip again. If you're going with a group, it's a doable drive.

I'm with you. Was there for that game as well and thought the stadium was great for sightlines etc. While on campus has to be preferable, it was kind of a cool, unique environment, beautiful night too.

Been there 4 times. 2 games vs Wyoming (for Golden boot), 1 time for Air Force (Thurs. Night game), and for August Scrimmage.
Current stadium was enclosed (improvements made) a few years back (2005-2006). When many of you made the Gopher game , the North endzone was open and field was grass. Hughes stadium is far from spectacular, but it is a great place to visit. Tailgating atmosphere is fun and they do serve adult beverages in the concession areas. The dam is called Horsetooth Reservoir and is part of the Big Thompson Water Project - collects water from Western Slope and diverts it to Eastern Slope Communities. It is about 6 miles in length and there are a number of scenic views of Fort Collins from it. If you remember the High Park Fire in 2012, that reservoir was used by helicopters to collect water.

I have both immediate and extended family that have lived out there for 20+ years. While by no means an expert on the area, if you are looking for things to do, places to eat, hang out, have a question, send a PM and I'd be more than happy to answer it the best I can.

I drive from SE MN when I go out. It is about 13 hour drive. Fill the tank in / near Council Bluffs, Kearney, NE, and then Cheyenne, WY. You can probably get to Fort Collins without the Cheyenne stop but gas is cheaper there.

Buck

There are 4 dams on Horsetooth. Not only would the stadium be destroyed, but tens of thousands of people living in Fort Collins would be inundated. Supposedly the dams were retrofitted not long ago, but I think about what might happen if something happened to one of the dams.

Been there 4 times. 2 games vs Wyoming (for Golden boot), 1 time for Air Force (Thurs. Night game), and for August Scrimmage.
Current stadium was enclosed (improvements made) a few years back (2005-2006). When many of you made the Gopher game , the North endzone was open and field was grass. Hughes stadium is far from spectacular, but it is a great place to visit. Tailgating atmosphere is fun and they do serve adult beverages in the concession areas. The dam is called Horsetooth Reservoir and is part of the Big Thompson Water Project - collects water from Western Slope and diverts it to Eastern Slope Communities. It is about 6 miles in length and there are a number of scenic views of Fort Collins from it. If you remember the High Park Fire in 2012, that reservoir was used by helicopters to collect water.

I have both immediate and extended family that have lived out there for 20+ years. While by no means an expert on the area, if you are looking for things to do, places to eat, hang out, have a question, send a PM and I'd be more than happy to answer it the best I can.

I drive from SE MN when I go out. It is about 13 hour drive. Fill the tank in / near Council Bluffs, Kearney, NE, and then Cheyenne, WY. You can probably get to Fort Collins without the Cheyenne stop but gas is cheaper there.

Buck

I usually head across SoDak on I90. Nebraska is super boring and I can avoid Iowa. SoDak is much more scenic from about Chamberlain westward. I90 has got a bunch of kitschy stops, Wall, Corn Palace, Old West Town. And I love visiting the Black Hills and even the Badlands are a cool day trip.

There are 4 dams on Horsetooth. Not only would the stadium be destroyed, but tens of thousands of people living in Fort Collins would be inundated. Supposedly the dams were retrofitted not long ago, but I think about what might happen if something happened to one of the dams.

Champs, see my comment on post #11

I usually head across SoDak on I90. Nebraska is super boring and I can avoid Iowa. SoDak is much more scenic from about Chamberlain westward. I90 has got a bunch of kitschy stops, Wall, Corn Palace, Old West Town. And I love visiting the Black Hills and even the Badlands are a cool day trip.

Isn't that going too far west? Also, I90 veers north around the Black Hills.

I've heard some people recommend turning off of I-90 on US-83 down to North Platte. Make sure you have a full gas tank, though.

Isn't that going too far west? Also, I90 veers north around the Black Hills.

I've heard some people recommend turning off of I-90 on US-83 down to North Platte. Make sure you have a full gas tank, though.

The Black Hills are just north east of Fort Collins. I just head south on 79 just before Rapid City. Then i can drive through Custer or down through Hot Springs to get to Eastern Wyoming. Eastern Wyoming is not spectacular, but it is much more scenic than Nebraska. Adds one to three hours depending on stops.

If the shortest possible trip is key, then go through Nebraska. I love the Black Hills, though, and like to get off interstates and see the countryside.

The Black Hills are just north east of Fort Collins. I just head south on 79 just before Rapid City. Then i can drive through Custer or down through Hot Springs to get to Eastern Wyoming. Eastern Wyoming is not spectacular, but it is much more scenic than Nebraska. Adds one to three hours depending on stops.

If the shortest possible trip is key, then go through Nebraska. I love the Black Hills, though, and like to get off interstates and see the countryside.

It's a great road trip. Like you said before, Wall Drug and Corn Palace, then the Badlands and Black Hills, Mt Rushmore. When I went out there we went south from the Black Hills and took 385 out of Hot Springs. It's a bit longer but worth it if you want to see such national treasures as Chimney Rock, Carhenge and the home town of none other than our own Gopher Elliot Elliason, Chadron Nebraska. You also go over that forested ridge area of Nebraska near Chadron, which was a nice area, and see the edge of the sand hill region. We saw a herd of Antelope on the prairie when we entered Colorado.

Top Bottom