Jaylen Waters commits to Gophers!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Excited to say that the University of Minnesota will be my new home in 2015 & where I will further my education. Golden Gopher Commit ??✏️?</p>— Jaylen Waters (@Texas_boy49) <a href="https://twitter.com/Texas_boy49/statuses/491319273470443521">July 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Nice! Not the best offer sheet but I'm glad to see we're getting help at LB. Very strong looking kid.

Runs a 11.2 100 m dash according to his Hudl profile. I can imagine this kid flying all over the field.

Maybe this is why the Sherels were sort of happy?!

Welcome Jaylen!

An impressive film; fast and a playmaker who hones in on the ball carrier quickly.

I trust the coaches but I cant wait til the day we consistently beat out other BCS schools for recruits.

OK - his name is Waters - and he's a linebacker........

future Mike Grimm play call: "And Waters flows to the play and makes a solid tackle......."

I'd say the BBQ is paying off. Welcome Jaylen!

I'd say the BBQ is paying off. Welcome Jaylen!

Agreed! It would be great if the BBQ becomes a nice summer benchmark to look forward to.

This probably makes no sense, but lately it seems like I get more excited for "2 star" recruits than the "3 star." I'm so confident in this staff's ability to identify talent (especially on defense) that I assume the "unheralded" kids must have something special about themselves.

TDG Scroll of the Sworn: Jaylen Waters

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/7/21/5924139/minnesota-football-recruiting-jaylen-waters-commits

Jaylen is a thumper, no two ways about it. Waters may be the best pure striker (h/t Jim Ross) and most powerful tackler at linebacker since Kill's arrived in Dinkytown.

If you look at the peripherals, one can see the type of kinetic energy Waters generates in a phone booth: at 230 lbs. and a shuttle of 4.25s, Jaylen uses his thick and strong legs to generate impressive tackling force. If he's coming downhill, that ball carrier is going to end up on the ground... period.

Waters won't be confused with a sideline-to-sideline patroller or a drop middle linebacker. His lateral mobility and overall stiffness in coverage will limit his early role on the team as more of a 2-down, power O defender, and that's just fine. Coach Claeys has talked often about the need to recruit defensive flexibility in the front seven, grabbing different body types and skills to match up against the different offensive schemes the team will see in the Big Ten West division. Considering Minnesota's two biggest rivals are known for tough power and zone running games, there's a need to recruit players who match up physically.

Jaylen will be asked to flow downhill through the A and B gaps, take on fullbacks and interior linemen and play tough in the trash. He's certainly big and strong enough to do that early on in his career.

Not sure what the coaches have in mind, but based solely on the video posted by Bleed I'm thinking he might be a solid candidate for a move to DE (with some added bulk). That being said, I'm in no way counting him out at LB.

Nice! Welcome aboard!

Not sure what the coaches have in mind, but based solely on the video posted by Bleed I'm thinking he might be a solid candidate for a move to DE (with some added bulk). That being said, I'm in no way counting him out at LB.

Probably not long enough to play at DE for Tracy Clayes at only 6-1. Right now he is the perfect size for a HS MLB and will be the perfect size for a Big Ten MLB when he adds 20 pounds to get to 6-1, 250.

Probably not long enough to play at DE for Tracy Clayes at only 6-1. Right now he is the perfect size for a HS MLB and will be the perfect size for a Big Ten MLB when he adds 20 pounds to get to 6-1, 250.

That will make him about the same size as the average woman from Wisconsin.

I trust the coaches but I cant wait til the day we consistently beat out other BCS schools for recruits.

Don't hold your breath. We are 4 years in and I think it is pretty clear that this is the type of recruiting this staff is going to do. It will either work or the staff will get fired, but similar to Mason I don't think we should ever really expect to see high rated recruiting classes out of this group. Some in here hold to the belief that with winning the higher ranked prospects will come but I will be shocked if our recruiting classes ever finish consistently in the top half of the conference under Kill.

In the end as long as the guys they are bringing in can compete at an upper half of the conference level with lower half rankings then I'm all for it.

Don't hold your breath. We are 4 years in and I think it is pretty clear that this is the type of recruiting this staff is going to do. It will either work or the staff will get fired, but similar to Mason I don't think we should ever really expect to see high rated recruiting classes out of this group. Some in here hold to the belief that with winning the higher ranked prospects will come but I will be shocked if our recruiting classes ever finish consistently in the top half of the conference under Kill.

In the end as long as the guys they are bringing in can compete at an upper half of the conference level with lower half rankings then I'm all for it.

2016 could be one of the greatest classes ever.

The best remedy for getting higher rated classes is to improve the quality of high school football in Minnesota.

I would tend to agree, they are looking for guys who fit their system, guys with good character, guys who will be around for 4-5 years, they will never be out chasing stars.

I would tend to agree, they are looking for guys who fit their system, guys with good character, guys who will be around for 4-5 years, they will never be out chasing stars.

Isn't this what we want? Not necessarily directing this question at anyone. It would seem we'd want a staff with proven success in recruiting to their own system to keep doing what they do. Starting to chase stars is, to me, a great way to end up with Brewster-style (get that Dagum chilli hot, boys) classes where 5 to 10 players each year don't ever make it to campus.

JK is serving a different style of chili.

I would say our ceiling for recruiting would be having a classes ranked 25-30th on the nation similar to where Wisconsin and MSU are now. I don't think we would ever do better than that but i think that is realistic if we have perennial 9-10 win seasons.

I would say our ceiling for recruiting would be having a classes ranked 25-30th on the nation similar to where Wisconsin and MSU are now. I don't think we would ever do better than that but i think that is realistic if we have perennial 9-10 win seasons.

I would say that is probably about right as a ceiling though most years I would expect us to be well below that. What we will find out here in the next few years is if you can win consistently in the Big Ten without attracting the big time athletes (according to the scouting services) that most of your competitors in the conference are.

In the end I could care less where our classes rank if the team is winning. The one thing that does concern me is that we seem to be recruiting against MAC schools for most of the guys, I would prefer to see us landing kids with legit Big Ten interest. Looking at our current crop of recruits I see very few with any check marks in the offer column from other Big Ten schools.

Not sure where or how to search for offers for 2015 and 2016 4* and 5* offers, but I'm pretty sure that The "U" would not be lacking in offers.

Top Bottom