Jaylen Waters commits to Gophers!!

I would say that is probably about right as a ceiling though most years I would expect us to be well below that. What we will find out here in the next few years is if you can win consistently in the Big Ten without attracting the big time athletes (according to the scouting services) that most of your competitors in the conference are.

In the end I could care less where our classes rank if the team is winning. The one thing that does concern me is that we seem to be recruiting against MAC schools for most of the guys, I would prefer to see us landing kids with legit Big Ten interest. Looking at our current crop of recruits I see very few with any check marks in the offer column from other Big Ten schools.

The Gophers get beaten out of the likes of Frank Ragnow, Jashon Cornell, Grant Schmidt (high 3). Will the tide turn once the Gophers start putting together 9-10 win seasons?

Welcome to the Gophers Jaylen Waters. I lived in Copperas Cove for about four years while stationed at Ft. Hood, Tx. The Bulldogs are a good football team, typically make the playoffs / regionals.

I trust the coaches but I cant wait til the day we consistently beat out other BCS schools for recruits.

I wouldn't worry about that kind of thing. On another thread, Dpod posted a reminder of some of the 4 star recruits that Brewster signed. Most of them I could not remember. At the end of the day, what matters is that a coaching staff is landing the types of players it needs to play the style of football it wants. You don't win by chasing highly rated recruits, throwing them in a bag together, and hoping a winning team pops out after making a few motivational speeches about hot chili.

I would say our ceiling for recruiting would be having a classes ranked 25-30th on the nation similar to where Wisconsin and MSU are now. I don't think we would ever do better than that but i think that is realistic if we have perennial 9-10 win seasons.

The big question is whether or not Minnesota can become a perennial 9-10 win team without an uptick in recruiting. As it stands now, I think a 9 or 10 win season is possible every 4-5 years when everything falls into place, but I don't think its something that will happen with any consistency unless there is a serious uptick in recruiting.

I wouldn't worry about that kind of thing. On another thread, Dpod posted a reminder of some of the 4 star recruits that Brewster signed. Most of them I could not remember. At the end of the day, what matters is that a coaching staff is landing the types of players it needs to play the style of football it wants. You don't win by chasing highly rated recruits, throwing them in a bag together, and hoping a winning team pops out after making a few motivational speeches about hot chili.

The goal isn't just to get the highest rated possible, but ideally you'd want to find a handful of highly rated kids that also fit the system to get thrown into the mix. Also, there are plenty of 3 star recruits that also have multiple power conference offers, and Minnesota can't seem to get over that hurdle let alone start pulling in the 4 star guys.

Ted Steiber had offers from Maryland, Cincinatti, Syracuse, Illinois and Rutgers but is he really the recruit that we are the most excited about? I was much happier when Connelly and Dovich committed and thats just on the O-line. I'd take Croft and Femi-Cole over Stieber as well. Now if we can beat out Oregon, Oklahoma State, MSU and everyone else for Carlberg and Oseland than i will a happy man but offers don't tell the whole story.

Ted Steiber had offers from Maryland, Cincinatti, Syracuse, Illinois and Rutgers but is he really the recruit that we are the most excited about? I was much happier when Connelly and Dovich committed and thats just on the O-line. I'd take Croft and Femi-Cole over Stieber as well. Now if we can beat out Oregon, Oklahoma State, MSU and everyone else for Carlberg and Oseland than i will a happy man but offers don't tell the whole story.

Sure offers don't tell the whole story, but they are an indicator. My larger point is that people are seemingly dismissing the need for improved recruiting efforts by saying a lot of 4 star guys don't pan out and don't acknowledge that there is still a lot of room for Minnesota to greatly improve recruiting even without pulling in any 4 star guys.

Yes getting guys that fit the system is the first priority, but you still need to go after and sometimes get the higher level guys that also fit your system which Minnesota isn't doing at the moment

Just so I don't give the wrong impression, I'm happy with the current recruiting and state of the program. I'm just saying Minnesota won't get over the hump of just being a middling program until there is improvement in recruiting.

Just so I don't give the wrong impression, I'm happy with the current recruiting and state of the program. I'm just saying Minnesota won't get over the hump of just being a middling program until there is improvement in recruiting.

Wisconsin and Iowa have had 11-12 win seasons with classes perennially ranked in the 50-60th range. I'm not worried about it too much.

2016 could be one of the greatest classes ever.

The best remedy for getting higher rated classes is to improve the quality of high school football in Minnesota.

If the Gophers are able to land Green (and/or Pink), Garcia, Farniok, Kegal, Schleuter, Barber, and Coughlin (all MN or SD recruits), they'd be in the running for a top ten class nationally. Big if. But still.

If the Gophers are able to land Green (and/or Pink), Garcia, Farniok, Kegal, Schleuter, Barber, and Coughlin (all MN or SD recruits), they'd be in the running for a top ten class nationally. Big if. But still.

No they wouldn't.

Wisconsin and Iowa have had 11-12 win seasons with classes perennially ranked in the 50-60th range. I'm not worried about it too much.

Not quite. They occasionally have classes ranked in the in the 50+ range, but the also a lot of the top 40 classes as well. They average a mid 40's class. And when they have had the 11-12 win seasons, its usually coming off a string of good recruiting, with 3 of the previous 4 classes having been top 40 classes

Last year, according to 247 USC had the 10th rated class and included 2 5-stars, 8 4-stars and 8 3-stars. Notre Dame was 11th with 16 4-stars and 6 3-stars.

Of the list you provided there are 3 4-stars, 2 3-stars and 2 currently unranked (I'll assume they'll get 3-stars). Even with those and the other recruits we'll pull from elsewhere we won't get a sniff of Top 10.

No they wouldn't.

Yeah, I don't think that comment was very well thought out. I don't think people realize how good the best recruiting classes are each year. That class, along with some other nice out of state talent, would probably have a good shot at a top-25 class though.

lol

Nice! Not the best offer sheet but I'm glad to see we're getting help at LB. Very strong looking kid.

I watched this kid with great pop, good vision, strength, length, nastiness, determination, closing speed, good athletic ability

Just got evaluated by ESPN and has a grade of 77 and ranked the #28 ILB. He now is our #1 recruit on ESPN.

Top Bottom