STrib: Gophers basketball summer series: Josh Martin

Jon

Reaction score
"The extremely athletic 6-foot-8 forward runs the floor like a guard but the Gophers believe he will be able to play a Joey King-like stretch four position and could contribute major minutes this fall. Already, he's packed on about seven pounds in the weight room, McHale said, on a frame with just three percent body fat."
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/267521151.html

Have yet to read an Amelia article and not find some sort of typo.

McHale sometimes will find the two of them in the gym along at midnight, shooting and rebounding for each other.

Very next sentence...

Throughout the summer, the Gophers, who knew Martin would be able to help out defensively and on the boards right away, have been pleasantly surprised by his how strong his face-up game has proven to be.

And I only skimmed the article. She obviously doesn't even proof read once.

I agree that Amelia tends to have a lot of typos and weird sentence structure, but I for one have enjoyed these "summer series" blogs she has done. I've come to the realization that she probably won't ever be able to keep up with the current recruiting aspect, so at least she brings something to the table with these pieces about the incoming guys.

On a side note, I don't know if I have ever been so excited about a pair of 3* recruits as I am with Martin and Mason. Maybe it's the homer in me, but I think both of these guys are going to be something special with the type of work ethic and drive the coaches claim they both have.

Agree on all accounts. This series is the first stuff I've read from her in a long time. And I too am really excited for Martin+Mason.

Madtown,

Many of us would rather have a series of "get to know your Gophers" with a few typos than not have them.

Get over the typos. It is what it is.

Madtown,

Many of us would rather have a series of "get to know your Gophers" with a few typos than not have them.

We shouldn't have to choose. The ability to convey information with minimal errors is supposed to be a given in journalism, especially in a major market newspaper.

Madtown,

Sorry, she is a paid journalist. Her typos are part of her job performance.

You should hold professional writers up to a higher standard than forum jockeys.

You should hold professional writers up to a higher standard than forum jockeys.

Unless you think she reads GH (maybe she does) why bicth about her typos on this form? Send her and the Strib an email or ignore it.

I think you're missing my point.

I am able to get what I want out of the article even with typos. It's not my job to judge her or evaluate her, and I would prefer that the conversation orbited around Josh Martin and not commas and semicolons. If her boss wants to can her because her work has typos, I won't cry about it. But in the meantime, I'm not going to protest her or point out every one of her grammatical shortcomings.

Maybe we can start an "All Things Journalism Standards" thread. There would be lots of good Doogie stuff in there too, I suspect.

Unless you think she reads GH (maybe she does) why bicth about her typos on this form? Send her and the Strib an email or ignore it.

If the standard is whether the subject of discussion reads GH, then we should eliminate about 90% of the topics on this forum. Can't talk about Jerry Kill anymore.

Already, he's packed on about seven pounds in the weight room, McHale said, on a frame with just three percent body fat.

Sounds like 'good' weight to me ;)

In all honesty, typos and factual errors seem to be progressively more common on web-published articles. ESPN articles always seem to be full of them, tennis ones especially. I am by no means good at writing and the nuances of grammar, but some things I read make me facepalm. Google searches take all of 1.3 seconds writers...

In all honesty, typos and factual errors seem to be progressively more common on web-published articles. ESPN articles always seem to be full of them, tennis ones especially. I am by no means good at writing and the nuances of grammar, but some things I read make me facepalm. Google searches take all of 1.3 seconds writers...

It gets worse. They have an AP style guide or a style guide their office uses on their computer files or on their desk. Literally, all they have to do is open a desk drawer.

It's funny but my Word shows me when I've made a mistake or a misspelling

This thread is brutal.

Anyways, I can't wait to see Josh's enthusiasm and athleticism on the court! He's going to be HATED by the other teams and a Gopher fan favorite.

Every article, there's either a glaring typo, a horribly written sentence, or just nonsense. Take this, for example: "Martin and rising junior Joey King are roommates and -- possessing very similar skill sets -- have worked out together." By very similar skill set, does she mean same position with completely different skill sets?

It's pretty frustrating that she can get away with not taking her job that seriously. I mean, I'm sure she puts plenty of work in, but she can't be that bad at proofreading, right? The typos are just too obvious. Seems like she literally just doesn't proofread.

Have yet to read an Amelia article and not find some sort of typo.

Very next sentence...

And I only skimmed the article. She obviously doesn't even proof read once.

Martin definitely seems like a coaches dream. I'm sure plenty of coaches are gonna regret passing him. Even if he doesn't develop into the player we hope and somewhat expect, he's still a player you want on your team. It sounds like some of his intangibles are off the chart and contagious.

If we can't complain about Amelia, can we at least agree that she is a damn good looking woman?

Top Bottom