Q&A: Illikainen Says He Loves Minnesota, Prep School Doesn't Hurt Gophers Chances

What do people think of the below statement? Is a stretch 4 really more of a 3?

A stretch 4 is really a 3, yet has the size to draw opposing power forward defenders away from the rim, keeping them out of their comfort zone while diminishing their presence in the paint.

Why do people refer to him as AI? Sounds/looks like a steak sauce.

I prefer we refer to him as Alex.

Why do people refer to him as AI? Sounds/looks like a steak sauce.

I prefer we refer to him as Alex.

Only one AI.

"We're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man."

Except that he wouldn't be able to guard small forwards, so he's nothing like a small forward other than the fact that he can shoot and typically small forwards are better shooters than power forwards. I'm not sure why the idea of a stretch 4 bothers/confuses anyone.

I think he's a perfect example of a power 3.

I'm not sure why the idea of a stretch 4 bothers/confuses anyone.

It doesn't seem like there is consistency in the way posters define stretch 4. Not sure I agree with their definitions either.

See link for one sites definitions of Off-the-Ball Combo Forward and The Scoring Combo-Forward
The Stretch 4

The stretch 4 is generally a one-dimensional player, varying based on athleticism. The key to this position is the ability to knock down "catch and shoot" three-pointers, hence the word "stretch", as in stretching the defense and spreading the floor. A stretch 4 is really a 3, yet has the size to draw opposing power forward defenders away from the rim, keeping them out of their comfort zone while diminishing their presence in the paint.... by simply stretching the floor, catching and shooting. It's a player-type that lacks strength, making it difficult to convert contested shots inside and defend true power forwards.

Do you consider Kevin Love and Chris Bosh for example power 3's as well?

Power 3 was a joke. As was stretch 5.

People get to wrapped in defining a 3/4, combo-forwards as a stretch 4s, then insist they are really more like a PF and not small forwards at all.

I'm curious what posters think about draftnet saying a stretch 4 is really a 3 and about their definitions compared to your own.

Almost no college basketball team plays 6-9 guys at the 3 anymore. We would have to play zone as Alex is athletic but hardly has the quickness to stay with the typical 6-5 sf we see in the big ten. Most teams play a 3 guard lineup like us with 6-4 Austin at sf.

I completely agree with that. I'm just saying there's a slim chance it could happen, based on that interview where Alex said he wanted to become a better stretch 4 or SF.

@RyanJamesMN: However, Alex Illikainen, who is coming off a big game, was smacked in the face and is out with a possible broken nose.

@RyanJamesMN: However, Alex Illikainen, who is coming off a big game, was smacked in the face and is out with a possible broken nose.

"if it ain't broke...don't fix it."

Definitely agree with you here. I also agree that people get too caught up in labeling positions. In the NBA it makes more sense, but in college it's definitely less important. Nbadraft.net is horrendous. I wouldn't trust anything from there.

It doesn't seem like there is consistency in the way posters define stretch 4. Not sure I agree with their definitions either.

See link for one sites definitions of Off-the-Ball Combo Forward and The Scoring Combo-Forward
The Stretch 4

The stretch 4 is generally a one-dimensional player, varying based on athleticism. The key to this position is the ability to knock down "catch and shoot" three-pointers, hence the word "stretch", as in stretching the defense and spreading the floor. A stretch 4 is really a 3, yet has the size to draw opposing power forward defenders away from the rim, keeping them out of their comfort zone while diminishing their presence in the paint.... by simply stretching the floor, catching and shooting. It's a player-type that lacks strength, making it difficult to convert contested shots inside and defend true power forwards.

Top Bottom