Q&A: Illikainen Says He Loves Minnesota, Prep School Doesn't Hurt Gophers Chances

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Alex Illikainen Says He Loves Minnesota, Leaving for Prep School Doesn't Hurt Gophers Chances
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/403129?referrer_id=388419

Alex Illikainen, a 6-9, 210-pounder recently announced that he is transferring from Grand Rapids to prep power Brewster Academy. Illikainen had been considered one of the top players in the state in the Class of 2015 and was thought to be the leading candidate for Minnesota's Mr. Basketball.

Illikainen helped lead Grand Rapids to a 16-10 mark this season, but they missed making their fourth straight appearance in the Class AAA state boys' basketball tournament, losing to Hermantown 53-47 in the section semifinals.

Illikainen, who has scholarship offers from Boston College, California, Creighton, Green Bay, Iowa State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northern Iowa, Oregon, Providence, Texas Tech and Vanderbilt, will play this week with his Howard Pulley team at the Peach Jam in Augusta, South Carolina.

Illikainen talked to Gopher Hole Tuesday evening after playing with the Howard Pulley AAU program to learn the latest on his recruitment and his recent transfer.

Gopher Hole: You are heading out to the Peach Jam. I know that you guys have played better and better each week during the EYBL. What are the expectations for this week?

Alex Illikainen: Like you said, we have been playing good. I feel really confident about this, going out there. We have great team chemistry and we are going out there to win it. That is the attitude that we have right now.

Gopher Hole: I know that you open up against the Mac Irvin Fire, a team that you just played in Chicago. Was that the type of game where you try not to show too much because you are going to play them again?

Alex Illikainen: Yes. We didn't want to give it all away, but we feel pretty confident with the pieces that we have. Go in there and play hard and I definitely think that we can get that win.

Gopher Hole: You have never been to the Peach Jam before, but like the first week of the open period in the EYBL, there are a ton of coaches there. What are you expecting to see from the coaches?

Alex Illikainen: From what I have been heard, it is the coolest experience in AAU basketball. I heard that the coaches are crazy there, just packed in the gym. It is definitely going to be a cool experience for me. I am glad that I got this opportunity and I am going to make the most of it.

Gopher Hole: Have you heard from most of the coaches that are recruiting you that a coach or two from each program will be there to watch you?

Alex Illikainen: Yes. Every school that I have been talking to has someone there.

Gopher Hole: Did you notice a lot of coaches watching you last week in Chicago?

Alex Illikainen: There were a couple of new ones like Virginia, Wisconsin and Oregon State that I have been on contact with. They are going to watch me in the Peach Jam.

Gopher Hole: Any new offers?

Alex Illikainen: No new offers.

Gopher Hole: You decided that you are going to transfer since the last time I interviewed you. How tough of a decision was that?

Alex Illikainen: It was tough just because you are leaving your hometown. Somewhere where you grew up your whole life with friends and family that were there, but on the basketball note, just looking at my future, my future in basketball. I feel that it was the best decision for me. I am playing the best competition. I am playing with great guys who have that same goal. That same work ethic. I am definitely excited for it and I don't regret my decision.

Gopher Hole: Was it tough because I'm sure a lot of your friends want the best for you, but they wanted to play with you for your senior season?

Alex Illikainen: They wished me the best, but they definitely were sad to see me go, especially with my family. They don't want to see me go, but they want the best for me. It was a tough decision, definitely.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that it will help you for the following year because you are going to be away from home as a freshman?

Alex Illikainen: Absolutely. I'll be used to it. I'll be a little more mature and handle it more when I am out there taking classes and working hard in practice. In my first year of college, I feel I'll be used to being on my own.

Gopher Hole: How far away will you be from your sister?

Alex Illikainen: I'll be about an hour away.

Gopher Hole: So you'll be able to see her a lot more?

Alex Illikainen: Yes. Absolutely.

Gopher Hole: Is that a nice bonus?

Alex Illikainen: Yes. Molly was out in Providence and she was about two hours away from Brewster. She transferred back to St. Cloud State and if she would have stayed, we would have all been in about a two hour radius, so that would have been pretty cool for my parents to come out there.

Gopher Hole: How often were they able to come out last year?

Alex Illikainen: They went out two or three times, but that is because they can watch all of our games online. They definitely make trips out there and they will come out to see me a couple of times this year.

Gopher Hole: How much do you think that you have improved as a player in the EYBL? We had talked previously about the outside shooting and you seem like you are a more confident player.

Alex Illikainen: Yes, I am more confident with my outside shooting. I still have got a lot to work on. I am getting beat up down low. My dribbling. I am still a little shy with the ball. I just can't get it and be comfortable with and go to the basket. That is just something I'll have to work on. It is something that I need to improve on besides my outside shooting.

Gopher Hole: I know that Creighton is a school that you have been looking at pretty hard and they got a commitment from a big man recently (6-foot-10 Justin Patton of Omaha). Do you look at that to see if the schools that are recruiting you are getting commitment from players who play the same position as you?

Alex Illikainen: Yes. Absolutely. That is everything. As much as I love a school, I'm not going to a school that has one or two guys ahead of me that are freshmen. I want to be able to play and I am looking to play all four years, so that is definitely something I look at.

Gopher Hole: I know that a lot of Minnesota fans would love for you to stay here and are wondering if transferring for your senior year will have an impact on going to Minnesota? Will that help or would that hurt?

Alex Illikainen: It doesn't hurt at all. I mean, I love Minnesota. I'm not leaving because I don't like it. I would definitely love to come here and spend four years in college. Who knows, maybe it will help. Maybe, I hate being away and want to come back. It definitely does not hurt it at all.

Thanks for all of these interviews Chris!

Pull the trigger Alex!!!! The pieces are in place for the program to take off. Pitino is going to get it done and it sure would be fun to have you part of the program!

Pull the trigger Alex!!!! The pieces are in place for the program to take off. Pitino is going to get it done and it sure would be fun to have you part of the program!

rN8o2.gif

Thanks for all of these interviews Chris!

+1

Great job with the questions Chris!

Gopher Hole: I know that Creighton is a school that you have been looking at pretty hard and they got a commitment from a big man recently (6-foot-10 Justin Patton of Omaha). Do you look at that to see if the schools that are recruiting you are getting commitment from players who play the same position as you?

Alex Illikainen: Yes. Absolutely. That is everything. As much as I love a school, I'm not going to a school that has one or two guys ahead of me that are freshmen. I want to be able to play and I am looking to play all four years, so that is definitely something I look at.

I'm surprised he actually admitted that. Glad he didn't dodge the question though since that part is very telling in how we now have in the bag.

I'm surprised he actually admitted that. Glad he didn't dodge the question though since that part is very telling in how we now have in the bag.

Not only that, but this quote as well:

"Gopher Hole: I know that a lot of Minnesota fans would love for you to stay here and are wondering if transferring for your senior year will have an impact on going to Minnesota? Will that help or would that hurt?

Alex Illikainen: It doesn't hurt at all. I mean, I love Minnesota. I'm not leaving because I don't like it. I would definitely love to come here and spend four years in college. Who knows, maybe it will help. Maybe, I hate being away and want to come back. It definitely does not hurt it at all."

Creighton

I would love if Alex commited to the gophers. But I hardly see how Creighton getting a commit from a no star kid who I cannot even find on 247 who is from Nebraska would threaten a top 100 recruit like Alex. ESPN says Justin is 6-10, but I cannot find any weight. He could be a project as a center or backup pf. Max preps says he aver 12 pts, 8 reb, 2.5 bls on an Omaha team not exactly lighting it up?

I would love if Alex commited to the gophers. But I hardly see how Creighton getting a commit from a no star kid who I cannot even find on 247 who is from Nebraska would threaten a top 100 recruit like Alex. ESPN says Justin is 6-10, but I cannot find any weight. He could be a project as a center or backup pf. Max preps says he aver 12 pts, 8 reb, 2.5 bls on an Omaha team not exactly lighting it up?

The parting of paths between Creighton and Alex is mutual...it's my understanding that they are no longer recruiting Alex, it's not that he just dropped them from consideration since they got a commit.

I don't know Creighton's scholarship situation or their recruiting philosophy, but they may have been planning on taking only one PF and once someone took that spot they won't take anyone else.

Don't know enough about AI, but is he good enough to play significant minutes as a freshman?

Solid chance AI starts for us as freshman. Whether it's at the 4 or the 5. I could see us starting 3 guards and 2 PFs (2 of AI/King/Martin).

Rivals ranks Justin Patton a 3 star has him at 215 lbs

https://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/...tton-165323;_ylt=AuFnkGDbbKT.3DkxRRyvnQDFspB4

Very slight chance Alex starts at U as true frosh. Martin and King will be tough to beat next season

Very slight chance Alex starts at U as true frosh. Martin and King will be tough to beat next season

It's impossible to say if he would or wouldn't be able to earn a starting spot, but he would at least play significant minutes. He's very good and sounds like a great fit in Pitino's system, no way he rides the pine.

If he committed, he'd likely be our second best recruit on the roster (behind Dorsey). I think there is a pretty good chance he'd be starting by the end of the season.

Alex Illikainen: It doesn't hurt at all. I mean said:
Who knows, maybe it will help. Maybe, I hate being away and want to come back.[/B] It definitely does not hurt it at all.

Here's another question - does this imply that he may not be making a decision soon?

He would have to beat our 4th year guys King and Buggs, sophomore Martin and 21-22 year old Gaston. Don't know if i see that happening.

King may get beat out by Martin this year. Buggs, meh. Gaston, not as developed as AI, regardless of age. I could definitely see us starting AI and Martin together in 2015. AI has to commit first though and it's a long time from now so we'll see. I just wouldn't automatically put older players ahead of him.

King may get beat out by Martin this year. Buggs, meh. Gaston, not as developed as AI, regardless of age. I could definitely see us starting AI and Martin together in 2015. AI has to commit first though and it's a long time from now so we'll see. I just wouldn't automatically put older players ahead of him.

Agreed.

Have you guys forgot that AI wants to play the 3? We could possibly go with a Illikainen, Martin/King, Konate lineup

Many seem confident that we will land AI. I hope we do, but I'm getting a bit concerned that he's waiting to commit. He says all the right things, but why the wait? Better offers? Attention? I'm not sold he comes here, but I hope he does...

Many seem confident that we will land AI. I hope we do, but I'm getting a bit concerned that he's waiting to commit. He says all the right things, but why the wait? Better offers? Attention? I'm not sold he comes here, but I hope he does...
I'm with you boner. He is certainly not leaning our way at this point.

I'm with you boner. He is certainly not leaning our way at this point.

I would be interested to hear which way you think he is leaning then if it's not to the Gophers? While he may be waiting for more offers, my guess would be that he is waiting to take his official visits to the schools he is seriously considering once the AAU season is over. He's said numerous times that relationships with the coaching staff are important to him, so I have my doubts on a new school jumping in and being a major contender at this point.

If AI is waiting for "better" offers, they may come. But, those schools will recruit over him time and time again. If he ultimately wants some playing time right away, MN seems like a pretty appealing option.

Alex is a 4 and more likely to see minutes at the 5 then the 3.

Almost no college basketball team plays 6-9 guys at the 3 anymore. We would have to play zone as Alex is athletic but hardly has the quickness to stay with the typical 6-5 sf we see in the big ten. Most teams play a 3 guard lineup like us with 6-4 Austin at sf.

Have you guys forgot that AI wants to play the 3? We could possibly go with a Illikainen, Martin/King, Konate lineup

Morris - Illikanen - King - Martin would be a good sized line up.

_________

Konate is a big question mark, but if he can play D, get boards and put in a couple buckets as a Soph. he will be just fine.

“He’s long. He can protect the rim and clean up the glass pretty well. He can move his feet. So his immediate impact will be defensively.”

Illikainen is not a 3 and is a perfect fit at the stretch 4 for Pitino. The only place I have seen him even possibly mentioned as a small forward is the interview on here where it seemed what he actually said was misinterpreted.

Top Bottom