STrib: Gophers basketball summer series: Nate Mason

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Now, the freshman guard with the potential to root a sixth man role next season is working on honing those skills with the help of Gophers seniors Andre Hollins and DeAndre Mathieu.

"They've really taken Nate under their wing," McHale said. "Learning from two seniors is the biggest advantage for him.

Mason has been grouped with the pair the summer in individual workouts, allowing him to exploit the similarities he shares with them. Like Mathieu, Mason is quick and crafty at finding gaps in the lane. Like Hollins, he can light it up from the outside. With the ability to play either point guard or shooting guard, McHale refers to him as "a younger version of Andre."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/267362831.html

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like the staff has high expectations for him. Excited to see him on the court.

Sounds like the staff has high expectations for him. Excited to see him on the court.

I must admit I was a little bummed we didn't get LaChance instead of Mason, but I do like to hear that he's putting the work in and following the lead of the Dre's. Mason is probably a better fit for Pitino's system I supposed, but I really wanted a lights-out shooter. Maybe Mason can still fill that role - he does a nice shot.

I must admit I was a little bummed we didn't get LaChance instead of Mason, but I do like to hear that he's putting the work in and following the lead of the Dre's. Mason is probably a better fit for Pitino's system I supposed, but I really wanted a lights-out shooter. Maybe Mason can still fill that role - he does a nice shot.

I totally get what you're saying about LaChance being a great shooter, but word on the street is Mason can shoot the ball pretty well too & like you alluded to, Mason is a better fit for Pitino's system.

The guy I'm bummed they didn't get is Tum Tum!

Guy I know in East Lansing went to a summer league game this sometime in the last few days and said that Tum Tum looks nothing like a freshman. He's very excited. I would be too, but I like our guards this year and while we lose the Dres, adding Dorsey next year definitely has me excited. Add Jarvis and it's even better.

Guy I know in East Lansing went to a summer league game this sometime in the last few days and said that Tum Tum looks nothing like a freshman.

That could mean a lot of things. I thought he looked 24 years old last year as a high schooler.

I predict good #s for NM starting this year,and only to get better great kid,great pick up

Top Bottom